Ordering From Ebay Outside Of Thailand

james24

Gonna be ordering some electrical equipment from ebay ( a cd/dj deck -pioneer 1000). They are quite heavy, was just wondering what kind of import taxes etc if any I have to pay for it to be sent to Chiang Mai by post. Not sure what post they are sending it by but Im sure its the cheapest way.

oh right ok. I had a letter from Spain come the other week and it was a small jiffy bag and it cost 3 baht....?? This thing is quite heavy so hopefully they wont charge me again. Anyone had anything similar or know how I can find out???

It's definitely possible to be assessed import duties on this kind of thing--happened to me many times. In my experience, the bigger the box, the more likely it will attract attention. Customs inspects it and then either keeps it and contacts you directly or gives instructions to the post office to collect import duty. I think it depend on the port of entry. 30% of the value + shipping cost seems to be the standard. It depends somewhat on what is declared in the accompanying paperwork about the contents of the package and the value. I've tried under-declaring the value then had to deal with skeptical Customs officers who don't believe it and then we get into complex negotiations. The PO will keep the package and send you a note telling you to come down to pay and pick it up. You can't negotiate with the post office, and if you have any objection to the duty, they tell you to just write a letter to Customs. I once had something delivered by the post office without tax, then about 2 or 3 months later the postman came back with a letter from Customs seeking payment. That sucked.

ah that sucks, 30 per cent, wow what a rip off

Actually, you'd get charged 9% duty plus 15% VAT if you were importing into the UK (from outside the EU). I got stuffed for a total of 40% on some photographic kit from the US (import into Belgium).

If it's coming by regular post (rather than a courier) you may well get away without any duty (pot luck).

I had a waterproof camera case come from Japan off ebay. paid $100 for it and had a 200baht tax from Thailand.

I had a crystal bowl come in, estimated $100 (by Thailand) and they wanted 2300 baht.

The moral of the story is: They charge whatever they want for it and if Somchai thinks it might be nice for himself or any of his own, expect a nice tax.

when we were still in USA, we sent a 40 kilo box of USED kids clothes to the wifes family. Stated value at $40 and clearly labeled second hand clothes.

well, the family was told to come to post office and had to pay 2000 baht in duty fees!!!! this was outrageous and nothing could be done about it. As noted, you take your chances getting anything sent into thailand from outside. Some folks luck is better than others

mileage may vary

Yes this really is pot luck whether or not you attract their attention.

I've had expensive stuff sneak thru unmolested whilst other stuff has been hit with the full rate tax.

I recently sent some motorcycle forks from CM to Australia to be modified, but because I had not got a letter from customs PRIOR to sending them, I got hit with import tax when they were returned.

No amount of explaining or the DHL docket would help.

UPS, FedEx, and DHL all have their own bonded holding areas at International airports, and they calculate all import duties and taxes on goods shipped from out side the country on everything they carry. There is no way to avoid this when using these three shipping agents.

Have your shipper send your goods via USPS or EMS. If it's a small, send via USPS marked "Small Packet." This is the cheapest way, and is often just passed right through to your post office. EMS costs a bit more but it's got a tracking number that can be followed if your order gets misplaced along the way. If you are shipping several items, break the shipment down into 2-3 smaller packages. This costs a little more, but smaller packages almost always get through without import duties. (Note that I said 'almost.' not 'always.')