Where To Buy A Computer

Godot

• 2 years later...

Many shops under big C will build to spec for you..

Dont know if hes still doing it but 'Dave' the computer man used to advertise in the gazette and do a good service and home deliver.

Edited by LivinLOS

there is U2 computer on bypass road (not to far form Tesco-lotus)

Courts sells computers (also on bypass road)

My personal favorite is a shop called IT Access.

IT-ACCESS CO.,LTD.

1-1/1 TUNGKA RD. TALARDYAI MUANG PHUKET 83000

(076) 234765-6 FAX (076) 234767

It's run by a guy named K. Kiat and he's a real stand up guy. Speaks perfect English, and he stands by his computers. Tell him what your looking for and what budget and he'll build it for you. He's where I go to buy my legal software, he's an authorized Microsoft retailer/partner (something like that) and after working on so many computes with systems that are funny and some that are legit it is my personal opinion that if you only have 2 peaces of legitimate software on you machine it should be your OS and your Anti-virus.

The shop is located in front of the Phuket Merlin hotel in Phuket town.

• 2 weeks later...

The big TV/electrical shop has a limited range of computers, and there used to be another shop selling computers in the mobile phone area. Mostly brand names, so quite pricy.

Try the basement of Big C for cheaper brand laptops (just behind Central).

I was in Tesco Lotus yesterday and I noticed they had some laptops at reasonable prices.

While trying to de-louse a friends cheapo acer laptop I noticed it had been loaded with an unlicensed copy of windows which complicated the debugging and limits it's use. I couldn't upload some updates. Which means it will have to go back to the people who loaded the copy of windows. PITA!

I don't think any budget computer bought in Thailand come with a licensed operating system. If you later on find that some driver or option was not installed, or your computer won't start-up (bound to happen), then you have to go back to the shop (or you nearest computer shop) and pay the usual 500 baht to have the problem sorted.

Tip.... I've found the big spares shop at the end of Big C's basement by far the cheapest place in town for any computer repairs. They even stick a bar code on the repaired computer, making future visits a breeze as they scan the code and can see the repair history etc.

I don't think any budget computer bought in Thailand come with a licensed operating system. If you later on find that some driver or option was not installed, or your computer won't start-up (bound to happen), then you have to go back to the shop (or you nearest computer shop) and pay the usual 500 baht to have the problem sorted.

Tip.... I've found the big spares shop at the end of Big C's basement by far the cheapest place in town for any computer repairs. They even stick a bar code on the repaired computer, making future visits a breeze as they scan the code and can see the repair history etc.

Nor true, another pal just bought a cheap/new toshiba and it had a properly licensed copy of vista. Terrible OS BTW! I hate XP but vista reeks.

I agree that you should be VERY careful to ensure you have a licensed copy of windows. I have one laptop I use for work with real windows and another couple I use for other things. If you just have one computer, it will be no end of hel_l if you're using bootlegged windows, as everything from media player enabled things and many other things you wouldn't expect won't work. For casual uses, there are a lot of work-arounds and you can use bootlegged versions.

Nor true, another pal just bought a cheap/new toshiba and it had a properly licensed copy of vista. Terrible OS BTW! I hate XP but vista reeks.

Did your pal get the boxed original CDs ?

Was the OS included in the price or did he pay extra ?

Can you share where he bought the computer. I've bought 3 computers here in Phuket (over the years and none came with original OS in the price.

I think the guys selling the Acer laptops in bigC aren't installing licensed windows.

My personal solution is to use a Mac for internet.

The computer I cleaned up the other day had 33 viruses. Some of them really nasty ones which left vestiges of their existence imbedded in microsoft apps like IE and Word.

I think you'd have to erase the hardrive and reinstall everything to truly fix it.

If I was on a really tight budget where I had to use an inexpensive PC I'd partition the hardrive and learn how to run Linux on one side and a bootleg XP on the other.

It's easier to use a Mac. :o

If you want to stay totally with windows OS (xp professional), and want to use a bootleg copy and cheap software and freeware, here is a great setup that I have on one of my laptops.

AVG 7.5 free version antivirus

ZoneAlarm free version firewall

Use Firefox for almost all browsing, only a few sites require windows explorer

Disable automatic windows update.

Unlikely you will be compromised with this setup, I think.

There is a great shop in Pantip in Bangkok that knows how to set up these laptops if you can't find that in Phuket, PM me, and I'll let you know the shop. Don't know who does this in Phuket.

The puter is was fiddling with was set up like that. But somehow the owner got it infested.

I added firefox and a spyware de-lousing program. It works now without having to dump everything.

Firefox is the only browser to use with windows it seems.

I use a boot leg version of XP, but I'm seriously thinking about buying a licensed version of XP. I use free Firefox (much faster than Gates offerings), although can't play some video clips, but latest upgrades much better. I pay for McAfee Security Centre as it's not worth having a poor quality version of anti-virus/worm software. :o

Oh... and I always use ad block options.

Edited by LivinginKata