Speedboat Sinks Near Koh Samui

webfact

8 Norwegian rescued from Surat Thani sea

KOH SAMUI: -- A speed boat carrying eight Norwegian tourists to Koh Samui in Surat Thani capsized Monday afternoon and the tourists were safely rescued, police said.

The accident happened at about 2:50 pm when the boat was between Nakhon Si Thammarat's Khanom district and Surat Thani's Samui district.

The speed boat left the Don Sak pier heading to Samui and capsized apparently because of high seas, police said.

The boat driver and an assistant were rescued along with the five male and three female tourists.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-12-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Probably Evil Kneivel in the driving seat again, not making any allowance for conditions...although, like everybody else has said already, the waters around Samui were calmer than of late today...Thank heavens everybody was safe...theres a subject for their postcards home

Looks like they went to view the 5 islands to the south, right out my window,

but I saw nothing to indicate much of any weather besides gray today.

Can't rule out rogue waves of course, similar to tidal waves or tsunamis.

Glad the people are all safe as, so far, reported.

there's bigger waves in my pool than the sea at the moment. i doubt that was the real reason.

Maybe the boat was hit on the side by the dolphin cow on stevehaigh's member photo? Nice one stevehaigh keep your cows on a rope in future! and your dolphins :)

'Basil B' date='2009-12-28 19:45:29' post='3230093']

With the recent accidents in Pattaya is it not about time the Thai authorities tightened up on licensing small boats and and their skippers.

Any more nasty aspersions similar to this pertaining to persons or authorities , feel assured you will have an immediate sever suspension for a time not lasting more than a millisecond .

Let this be fair warning for all you jokers on this honourable forum .

With the recent accidents in Pattaya is it not about time the Thai authorities tightened up on licensing small boats and and their skippers.

Why do people still have these fantasies?

Here's another one .....

With the profusion of "accidents" involving small marine craft, when will the Thai authorities derestrict the occupation of small craft skippering on the control lists of the FBA, and allow qualified, experienced, safety conscious farangs to skipper these passenger craft as not just a permitted, but an encouraged occupation within Thai waters?

edited to correct typo

Edited by Foggy Bottom

High Waves? I just took the 14.30 had rin queen ferry from koh phangan back to samui and the sea was very calm.
The sea is very calm around Samui today

Does the Gulf of Thailand get high waves? I guess it depends on one's definition of high waves. High waves don't bode well for Bkk's future.

Glad the survivors kept cool heads and could tread water and/or swim. If they were Asian passengers, they'd be less likely to have had a 100% survival rate. Moral to this story: teach your kids to swim.

As a professional boat builder: It is surprising to me that we do not see news like this EACH DAY.

The building quality and and maintenance standard of local operaters usually is at its lowest.

Qualification of the drivers is in most cases only determined by the size of their bizeps (the brain is too small to take a measure).

Together with certain ruthless expat cowboy-entrepreneurs (write to me and I will tell names!) the lifes of holiday makers are risked daily.

Thailand has quite relaxed regulations regarding naval business operations and until this changes (if ever) we will see the above news over and over again.

THIS time no people bit the dust

- - - next time ?

B.T.W.: Happy new year to all who survived 2009

Among insiders it is well known, that there is a - hmm - 'organisation' in the background that has a sort of control over who is operating and how much 'fee' this costs him. (write to me and I will tell names )

As a professional boat builder: It is surprising to me that we do not see news like this EACH DAY.

The building quality and and maintenance standard of local operaters usually is at its lowest.

Qualification of the drivers is in most cases only determined by the size of their bizeps (the brain is too small to take a measure).

Together with certain ruthless expat cowboy-entrepreneurs (write to me and I will tell names!) the lifes of holiday makers are risked daily.

Thailand has quite relaxed regulations regarding naval business operations and until this changes (if ever) we will see the above news over and over again.

THIS time no people bit the dust

- - - next time ?

B.T.W.: Happy new year to all who survived 2009

:) I'll send you back my wishes in four days!!! Think i'll survive ....