Internet Bandwidth Erratic

InterestedObserver

My internet speed (bandwidth) has always been erratic, looks like a sawtooth wave when viewed on my realtime internet speed monitor. The speed varies anywhere from 0bps to 2+Mbps, averaging 128Kbps when I'm streaming a radio station. Behavior was the same with a CAT 2Mbps connection and current True 8Mbps connection, ZyXel P-660R series router or P-660HW series gateway. Naturally whenever the data rate (speed) drops to zero, the radio buffer tends to empty, and the internet radio station I'm streaming will either stop playing until the internet data resumes or disconnects all together. Very annoying! Not sure if it's an ISP or computer problem. Located in North Pattaya (Naklua) and a relative newcomer to this internet stuff, if that matters. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

It's just an overall bandwidth limitation/problem for all/most Thailand internet providers. When/if the Thailand internet providers invest in adequate bandwidth, problems like you are experiencing will pretty much disappear. And don't confuse advertised high download speeds like 8MB (or more) with high bandwidth; that 8MB speed is only betweeen you and the initial DSL connection point/server...not necessarily reaching out to the world wide web within Thailand and especially outside of Thailand. I experience/experienced the similar problems with both interent providers I have been with which are TOT and JI-NET...however, JI-NET is like 10 times better than TOT and realiability/uptime is like 99.99% with JI-NET. I don't have the radio issue as that requires fairly low bandwidth, but most of the time I can't play YouTube video clips without a lot of pauses during playback. Yeap, just an overall internet bandwidth limitation that Thailand internet providers have, especially to international web sites.

What's the sample rate on that? if it's quick, that's what i'd expect to see. I'm currently backing up my work laptop, but when it's available, i'll post a graph.

Sample rate is 1 per second, not what I'd call quick given the overall banfwidth. As you can see the data stream drops to zero on a regular basis, causing my internet radio to skip and/or disconnect. An 8mbps internet connection that cannot stream an international radio station at 128bps is cr*p. Looking for some sort of answer and solution.

Talk about erractic throughput, but in the opposite direction: I often stay at a hotel in Narita Japan near the airport. It has in-room high speed internet, and while it usually is quite fast (usually around 10Mbps), occasionally it is BLINDINGLY fast, although usually in the wee hours of the night, and only for short periods.

Just now, at roughly 930pm local time, web sites seemed to be loading quite quickly, so I decided to test via speedtest.net and look what I got:

666977957.png

Yowza. Before and after that particular test result I was getting consistent speeds in the 25~28Mbps, which is pretty darn good, but 100+???