Paraquat Alternatives ?

somo

Hi.

Not a specific weed. I need a universal weedkiller that does the same as paraquat. I grow cassava and in the first 4 or 5 months after planting need to kill any competing plants which paraquat does well. I would just like to know if there is a safer chemical that does the same job.

Somo

Good/correct/best (whatever word one wishes to use ........) choice of herbicide is not only, or, all about which brandname product, or, active ingredient will best kill competing plant growth - there are other factors which should be taken into consideration in deciding which product to use. These factors are primarily financial and application method in type, so let me ask you if I may, 2 additional questions before sharing an opinion and why I think a particular herbicide type/brandname would be best suited for your circumstances.

- how many rai need will you be applying herbicide to?

- do you irrigate - and if so, how do you irrigate (e.g. impact/sprinkler of flood.... or other)?

Sorry if this all sounds a little "over the top" - why not just give us a couple names? Why not - because control of weeds (and to lessor extent, pests, when considering which pesticide to use) requires a bit more thought and care with below ground crops than it does when making a herbicide choice for an above ground field crop like maize or sugar cane. I won't bore you with all the fine detail and relivance of terms like "pre-emergence" versus "post-emergence", or "contact" versus "systemic" types of herbicides - they are relivant considerations when deciding what herbicide or pesticide to use, which in my opinion many cassava farmers [in Thailand] fail to think through sufficiently when deciding what to use on a cassava field, but for the purpose of these notes out of context I think.

Paraquat and Diquat are very closely related. I was never the best at chemistry to explain the difference but the effects and toxity are very similar. It is true that both become inactive when the become absorbed by soil so if you do use them ,it is important not to use dirty water to mix the chemicals in.

Paraquat and Diquat are very closely related. I was never the best at chemistry to explain the difference but the effects and toxity are very similar. It is true that both become inactive when the become absorbed by soil so if you do use them ,it is important not to use dirty water to mix the chemicals in.

Good point, xen. I always remind my paraquat sprayers to use only clean water.

Somo, I was chatting with a village farming friend this morning...neither he nor I (I've farmed in this village part-time then full-time for 13 years) have ever heard of any of our neighbours suffering any injury from paraquat spraying. Plenty of paraquat suicides though.

Rgds

Khonwan

Just a question about pesticide safety in Thailand in General. Are there Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS ) available giving such info as LD50 rating, safe handling precautions , what to do in the event of poisioning or chemical spill etc.If so does anybody read them? Also information on the label as to correct usage rates etc. My wifes Grandfather died from using paraquat without safety percautions and i know paraquat is easily absorbed thru the pores of the skin particularly on hot days (I have spent time in hospital many years ago from paraquat spraying around bananas on a very hot day and i had coveralls on and was using a mask but i had my selves rolled up and my neck area was bare.)

A general google search on Material Safety Data Sheets on any chemical you use may be very helpful. To find them for your workers in Thai may be more difficult tho.

Just a question about pesticide safety in Thailand in General. Are there Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS ) available giving such info as LD50 rating, safe handling precautions , what to do in the event of poisioning or chemical spill etc.If so does anybody read them? Also information on the label as to correct usage rates etc. My wifes Grandfather died from using paraquat without safety percautions and i know paraquat is easily absorbed thru the pores of the skin particularly on hot days (I have spent time in hospital many years ago from paraquat spraying around bananas on a very hot day and i had coveralls on and was using a mask but i had my selves rolled up and my neck area was bare.)

A general google search on Material Safety Data Sheets on any chemical you use may be very helpful. To find them for your workers in Thai may be more difficult tho.

All brand name chemicals have to be retailed with MSDS info in Thailand - and in most cases you can also find the MSDS on the web in English and in Thai.

Hi Maizefarmer.

Sorry been away for the new year break.

In answer to your questions I farm about 38 rai with cassava but hope to double that over the next 6 months and no I don't irrigate.

Labour costs are 250 baht/rai to spray the paraquat so I can't afford to apply different chemicals specific to different weeds unless they can be mixed and together cost no more than paraquat.

My original question was simply is there an alternative that does the same job as paraquat and judging by the other contributions here it seems not.

Hi Maizefarmer.

Sorry been away for the new year break.

In answer to your questions I farm about 38 rai with cassava but hope to double that over the next 6 months and no I don't irrigate.

Labour costs are 250 baht/rai to spray the paraquat so I can't afford to apply different chemicals specific to different weeds unless they can be mixed and together cost no more than paraquat.

My original question was simply is there an alternative that does the same job as paraquat and judging by the other contributions here it seems not.

Hi farmers,

please notice that use of Paraquat is associated with high risks see website: stop-paraquat.net.

Alternatives are available, see the publication: How to Grow Crops without Paraquat - Field Guide Field Guide

to Non-chemical Management of Grasses, Sedges and Broadleaf weeds for small scale farmers by PAN Germany its a PDF: field_guide_without_paraquat.pdf

All the best and  สวัสดีปีใหม่ (sawatdii pimaï)

Lars Neumeister