Need Good, Reasonable, Clean, Safe Hotels In Nong Khai

chanwit

My 42 year old son is on his way to Bangkok from Texas to get married in Nong Khai on Jan 6.

I need a head's up for a hotel to stay for a few days when I leave Bangkok to go to Nong Khai.

Never been there and just want to be prepared with any suggestions.

Does your son not have any suggestions?

Good point MeMock but this has been an accelerated relationship and he has made 3 trips to Thailand in less than 5 mos. to be with his lady.

He only knows about Pattaya and I've only met his fiancee briefly at the airport.

He's been to Nong Khai once to meet the parents but I think he slept on the floor in a relatives's house.

I've been here in Bangkok 18 mos. and I know enough about Thai traditions to know that someone will probably want me to stay at their house.

My experience with Isaan ceremonial weddings is that the noise from the Karaoke trance music is loud and unrelenting all day and night.

I'm thinking I need a place to retreat and that's why I need a backup plan.

Nongkhai Grand Hotel, at the ringroad, from the A2 from Udon in Nongkhai go east, 2 km. Big hotel, safe, good rooms, over 1.000 baht/night, shuttlebus available to town ( 5 min walk...), tuktuks nearby, farang and thai restaurant top floor but farang food in my opinion -better not say- , massage parlour, she is the grand old dame in Nongkhai.

Pantawee of phantawee hotel, thanon Hai Sok, heart of town, with a bungalow type annex opposite road, restaurant, bar, massage, travel agent. Rooms over 600 b/n as far as I know.

Both hotels offer breakfast and are not known for noisy "short time" affaires.

As far as I know both hotels have a website.

Nongkhai Grand Hotel, at the ringroad, from the A2 from Udon in Nongkhai go east, 2 km. Big hotel, safe, good rooms, over 1.000 baht/night, shuttlebus available to town ( 5 min walk...), tuktuks nearby, farang and thai restaurant top floor but farang food in my opinion -better not say- , massage parlour, she is the grand old dame in Nongkhai.

Pantawee of phantawee hotel, thanon Hai Sok, heart of town, with a bungalow type annex opposite road, restaurant, bar, massage, travel agent. Rooms over 600 b/n as far as I know.

Thanks for those tips. I'll start a search for their websites; at least I have a starting point.

Find out where exactly the wedding is taking place. If it's in Nong Khai city then no problem, but if it's in a village some distance away then you need to think about transport. Having a drunk party goer driving you back to the hotel at night isn't a good idea.

Assuming the wedding is in the city, Prajaks's suggestions above are spot on. I'd favour the Grand slightly because the rooms are generally better, but the Pantawee is also acceptable and has an interesting proprietor. The Grand can be booked on many of the online websites but it may be worth trying to get a price direct (042-411357). The other quality option would be the Royal Mekong Nongkhai Hotel, near the Friendship Bridge, but that is further out of town and only worth considering if the wedding is in that direction. Beyond that there are many guesthouses in the city.

Edited by citizen33

I stayed at a new Thai style resort a couple of blocks from the railway station when I was there about five months ago. The rooms were comfortable and very clean, and adequate, and were 600 baht a night. The breakfast was Thai style--nothing Western style. They had a very nice swimming pool, and it was very quiet. I think it was called the Nong Khai resort. but not quite sure of the name.

I stayed at the Pantawee Hotel this past Monday night, and have stayed there many times in the last 30 years. Good enough place, especially for the price. FREE internet in the rooms, along with WiFi if you brought your own computer. http://thailand.pantawee.com/

Some reviews of the place here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g3...-Nong_Khai.html

I've also stayed a couple of times at the Nong Khai Grand Hotel but don't like the walk to town, more than five minutes for me.

Mac