Baskin Robbins Closed

mild7even

Been out of town for awhile so I don't know when it happened... but it looks like Baskin Robbins/31 Flavors at both Central malls are closed. I realize they didn't have as much business as Swensons, but in my opinion the ice cream was better quality.

Anybody know if they are reopening ever? Any details on why they closed?

Bummer for the kids...

I don't know how they stayed open as long as they did. There was virtually no one in the place for years. Swensons is not as good but they marketed it as a "fun" place when Baskin Robbins was shooting for high quality and Swenson's prices were a little cheaper.

Too bad for us ice cream lovers as Baskin Robbins was the best deal around for high quality ice cream. Hagan Daz is good, but the prices verge on highway robbery. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

Wendy's was not around long and was killed by the 1997 crash of the baht. Burger King has stayed open for more than 20 years.

Not quite sure how they survive in Pattaya though as they are always empty even when McD's and KFC are doing good business.

Burger King don't usually do as well as McDonald's, but many people swear their burgers are better.

In the U.S., they use much better beef than McDonald's and I like them better, but here, they are using exactly the same beef and McDonald's is much cheaper.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Wendy's was not around long and was killed by the 1997 crash of the baht. Burger King has stayed open for more than 20 years.

Not quite sure how they survive in Pattaya though as they are always empty even when McD's and KFC are doing good business.

I think the Baskin Robbins in Big C has closed also.

TheWalkingMan

There is a Wendy's in Pattaya?!?!?

-Pat

Shame about the B&R. Swensons is dreadful and one needs to take out a mortgage to bring the familiy to Haagen Dazs (plus it is in high traffic area). Maybe gelato for a change.

Can't agree with you regarding Swensons...I love their Maccadamia Ice cream....creamy and a good strong Macadamia taste with bits of the nuts....delightfull ...although I will say that their other flavours are nothing special.

Shame about the B&R. Swensons is dreadful and one needs to take out a mortgage to bring the familiy to Haagen Dazs (plus it is in high traffic area). Maybe gelato for a change.

Can't agree with you regarding Swensons...I love their Maccadamia Ice cream....creamy and a good strong Macadamia taste with bits of the nuts....delightfull ...although I will say that their other flavours are nothing special.

the missus likes the macadamia ice cream from Swensons as well. I find all their ice creams a bit too sweet. Baskin and robbins would be missed! It found the prices cheap for the quality of their ice cream.

The Central Group was the master franchiser for Baskin-Robins. They have given it up and a new master franchiser will take over soon. I'm not sure about their present locations but I'm willing to bet that they will have to open all new stores.

Baskin-Robins was is much better than Swenson's and Bud's.

Off topic for a second.. but still in the same vein

I think Dunkin Donuts will be on the chopping block soon as well.. was in there the other day.. 42 baht for a donut... sheese.. same donut with Mr Donut is about a third of that. Plus I found it very strange that they didn't sell milk there.. Coffee or milk with a donut is the norm for most.

The Central Group was the master franchiser for Baskin-Robins. They have given it up and a new master franchiser will take over soon. I'm not sure about their present locations but I'm willing to bet that they will have to open all new stores.

BR was about as good as it got for a chain operation in Thailand. To be honest, I'm surprised that Bud's has been able to last, given the low key marketing, secondary sites and quality of the product, although I suspect that maybe the franchisee doesn't have the same hard headed return targets as Central who also hold the licenses for Auntie Annie's, KFC, Pizza Hut and Mister Donut.

Ice cream lovers need not panic since CM has several local ice cream makers and although I'd hesitate to nominate any one as having a consistently good range, I can say that Buenissimo's chocolate wins by a mile as far as I'm concerned in the individual flavour stakes. Better even than the late lamented Belgian Chocolate Chocolate by Haagen Dazs (can't find the little thingy to put over the "a") axed, rumour has it, because it was so chocolaty it was next to impossible to scoop from the freezer resulting in long lines at the counter. No, really.

Sesto gets the award for most tempting display but the times I've tried it have all been disappointments due to texture as well as flavour. They do make them look great, though. :)

I hear there's a new ice cream store just off Nimmenhamen is due to open sometime soon and look forward to trying it out.

I hear there's a new ice cream store just off Nimmenhamen is due to open sometime soon and look forward to trying it out.

That's "Ice Chic" on Soi 11. They've had the "opening soon" sign out for weeks. I live in the neighborhood and go past daily. There's always two people sitting outside at a table. But they're not open to the public. I think they're just teasing us.

Off topic for a second.. but still in the same vein

I think Dunkin Donuts will be on the chopping block soon as well.. was in there the other day.. 42 baht for a donut... sheese.. same donut with Mr Donut is about a third of that. Plus I found it very strange that they didn't sell milk there.. Coffee or milk with a donut is the norm for most.

Continuing off-topic.

I've never had a Dunkin Donut in Thailand but I go past several regularly. It's always 21 or 22 baht.

Do "most" Thais normally drink milk?

Not sure your source, but if true this is good news indeed--that they will reopen at some point. I've found all other ice creams in town to be watery and decidedly not creamy. I heard once, not sure if it was true, that BR imported their ice cream and Swensons produced it locally. While I believe in the "slow food" concept, in this case it just didn't work.

I guess ice cream joins the ranks of authentic hot dogs and hoagies as impossible to find.

BR fan until I die!

I can say that Buenissimo's chocolate wins by a mile as far as I'm concerned in the individual flavour stakes.

Buenissimo is supposed to be closing very soon. :)

Oh no, I'd better go and stock up on a few catering packs. :D:D

And a freezer to accommodate them...

Edited by Greenside

• 3 weeks later...

That's "Ice Chic" on Soi 11. They've had the "opening soon" sign out for weeks. I live in the neighborhood and go past daily. There's always two people sitting outside at a table. But they're not open to the public. I think they're just teasing us.

Hi all! Mary from Ice Chic here, looking forward to serving fresh Italian gelato to all the ice cream lovers in Chiang Mai. Sorry if you feel we're teasing! We just want to make sure everything is perfect when we open our doors. Coming very soon...

Thanks!

Hi all! Mary from Ice Chic here, looking forward to serving fresh Italian gelato to all the ice cream lovers in Chiang Mai. Sorry if you feel we're teasing! We just want to make sure everything is perfect when we open our doors. Coming very soon...

Thanks!

How do I get the job hanging out in front of the shop, testing the gelato until it's perfect?

Thanks!

How do I get the job hanging out in front of the shop, testing the gelato until it's perfect?

I would love nothing more than to give you a more specific opening date, but unfortunately we are at the mercy of our finicky Italian equipment, which is requiring a bit of time and much love to adjust to the climate here in Chiang Mai. We have a qualified team of technicians helping us sort everything out, but at this moment I must superstitiously decline to offer even a ballpark figure, as each time I set a date we are somehow prevented from meeting it. Rest assured, our recipes have now been perfected and all that is needed is the technical assurance that we can maintain a reliable production schedule.

I will keep you all posted when I have more news! In the meantime, if you're in the neighborhood you are welcome to pay us a visit as a tester, as we usually have a few fresh flavors on hand.

Thanks!

I think that Mary told me about this venture about a year ago in Gecko Books and it sounded like she knows what she is doing. The fact that she has taken so long to work out her plan makes it sound like she is very serious.

I don't know of any gellato in town that is more than just fair, so I'm hoping hers is as good as it sounds like it will be. :)