Grits

banpaeng

i couldnt even find grits north of the mason dixon in the states.... never found it in israel my folks cant get it in arizona and sister cant in boston.... give it up.... and dont forget, if you bring a lot it gets bugs...

regular ground corn like romanians eat just isnt the same....

good luck at least i know what it is...

collard greens they do have in thailand though.....

I guess it is just a Southern thing. One of these days the world will catch up. Yea I know about collard greens and can you believe it but they now have okra in Thailand now. Who know maybe some one will answer in the positive about this.

Thanks for your reply.

i couldnt even find grits north of the mason dixon in the states.... never found it in israel my folks cant get it in arizona and sister cant in boston.... give it up.... and dont forget, if you bring a lot it gets bugs...

regular ground corn like romanians eat just isnt the same....

good luck at least i know what it is...

collard greens they do have in thailand though.....

:D

Did you hear the one about the Yankee who went down to Alabama/ they asked him if he wanted any Grits. He said,"Well, I don't know. Let me try just one, to see if I like it first."

I know what grits is, but I'm yankee enough to eat them with syrup.

For you Brits: Grits is a corn mush/porridge/cereal made from ground corn meal usually eaten for breakfast, normally in the southern U.S. (Or should that be ground Maize?)

:o

As I am in the process of moving to Thailand, I am wondering if I will be able to find grits.  This is not a joke but really want to know if I can by them or do I need to bring my own supply.

Thanks.

I don’t know about the rest of Thailand but you can get them in Udornthani at a restaurant called T J`s which is located just off the ring road on the opposite side and just past Tesco lotus.

Apparently they are considered authentic as T J is American.

I tried them some years ago a found them to taste foul, :o but as an alterative T J`s ‘’home fries’’ served with breakfast are superb. :D

As I am in the process of moving to Thailand, I am wondering if I will be able to find grits.  This is not a joke but really want to know if I can by them or do I need to bring my own supply.

Thanks.

I don’t know about the rest of Thailand but you can get them in Udornthani at a restaurant called T J`s which is located just off the ring road on the opposite side and just past Tesco lotus.

Apparently they are considered authentic as T J is American.

I tried them some years ago a found them to taste foul, :D but as an alterative T J`s ‘’home fries’’ served with breakfast are superb. :D

:D

That just reminded me. There was guest house in BKK that served them, but it closed down a few years ago. Thai-Chinese owner retired. However, he found them in BKK to serve. Must be available somewhere in BKK.

:o

I remember the first time I saw grits. I was about 6 or 7 years old and was hanging around with an elderly African American who worked as the caretaker at the yacht club we belonged to. He was eating breakfast, and in addition to the regular bacon and eggs he had some strange whitish stuff on his plate. When I asked him what that was he replied, "Grits, would you like some?" Horrified at the thought that I might have to eat this strange substance :D , I quickly assured him that I wasn't hungry. :o

If you like cream of wheat, oatmeal, or porridge, you would like grits. It's basically the same thing, but made out of corn. I prefer mine with lots of butter and black pepper, but others like theirs sweet (with maple syrup or sugar).

geez grits in thailand..... maybe u.s. military brought the original request with them??

here in the holyland i have to settle for mamaliga which is romanian: corn meal but not the same texture, dont know why , mixed with cream, butter and salty feta like cheese melted in it.... actually quite tasty but not same as grits w/pepper or bacon etc or black eye peas (have those in thailand too, we grew them here from seeds my worker's wife sent to him)

have this to say. I have eaten grits all of my life and then found out it is a great food of South Catolina in a dish called Shrimp and Grits. I thought that sounded terrible and finally my son got me to try it and D#mn if it isn' t real good. Look up the recipe on line as it is very good and you will like grits then.

Still like eggs, bacon and grits with a hot biscuit and honey.

have this to say.  I have eaten grits all of my life and then found out it is a great food of South Catolina in a dish called Shrimp and Grits.  I thought that sounded terrible and finally my son got me to try it and D#mn if it isn' t real good.  Look up the recipe on line as it is very good and you will like grits then.

Still like eggs, bacon and grits with a hot biscuit and honey.

Sounds like good eating,yum yum. :o

I grew up on grits. Only in South Africa we called it 'mielie pap' and you can have it runny or stiff or crummbed and with anything sweet or salt. A favourite is with a tamato and onion relish with Bar-b-q'ed sausage. The sausage contains beef, pork and mutton mixed with spices like coriander and cloves. OMG how I miss that now!

I worked out a deal with a friend of mine in South Africa. I send him game CD's and he sends me food. Sort of like a food for CD's program. I am just now waiting for my shipment of pap.

I grew up on grits. Only in South Africa we called it 'mielie pap' and you can have it runny or stiff or crummbed and with anything sweet or salt. A favourite is with a tamato and onion relish with Bar-b-q'ed sausage. The sausage contains beef, pork and mutton mixed with spices like coriander and cloves. OMG how I miss that now!

I worked out a deal with a friend of mine in South Africa. I send him game CD's and he sends me food. Sort of like a food for CD's program. I am just now waiting for my shipment of pap.

North of the Limpopo it's called sadza..... sadza and boerwors is better than sausage and mash...... and as for biltong that kicks beef jerky into a cocked hat

North of the Limpopo it's called sadza..... sadza and boerwors is better than sausage and mash...... and as for biltong that kicks beef jerky into a cocked hat

I make my own boerewors. Biltong is a bit tricky in these humid conditions but then again, I have my contact in biltong country who keeps me supplied. Tried beef jerky once but was not impressed. There is nothing to beat springbok biltong though. . .

I thought of trying to make my own pap. The mielies (read maize) aren't too bad and I'm sure I can pound some into the right consistency with a crock/sak (read mortar & pestle).

Talk about Thai/South African fusion cooking. Maybe I have something here. :o

Not only has this been interesting but now educational.  Speak more of your African food using Grits.

Can you eloborate on sadza and boerwors.

Thanks.

Boerewors (An Afrikaans word, 'Boere' meaning 'farmers' and 'Wors' meaning 'sausage') is a sausage probably created by the pioneers (Boers) two hundred years ago.

1.5Kg beef

1.5Kg pork

500gms pork "spek"

20gms whole coriander

30gms salt

5 ml fresh ground black pepper

2 ml fresh ground cloves

2 ml fresh ground nutmeg

150-200 ml wine vinegar

90gms casings

Method:

Scorch, mill and sieve the coriander. Cut the meat into 50 mm cubes and add all the ingredients except the spek and vinegar. Mix well. Mince the meat, cut spek into approx. 2 mm cubes, add spek and vinegar, mix lightly but thoroughly. Stuff casings.

(spek = the hard white fat between the skin and the meat on a pig)

Sadza is Zimbabwe's version of the stiff porridge or dumpling common all over sub-Saharan Africa; a Fufu-like staple usually made from ground maize (corn), as is Zambia's Nshima or Eastern Africa's Ugali. Sadza is always eaten with a meat or vegetable soup or stew or sauce. In Zimbabwe, the word sadza itself is practically synonemous with lunch or supper; having sadza implies having a vegetable or meat dish to accompany it.

What you need

four to six cups corn flour, white cornmeal or ground maize -- or -- millet flour

water

What you do

In a large pot, bring four cups of water to a boil.

Remove about a quarter of the corn flour and set it aside. Place the remaining corn flour in a large bowl. Mix the corn flour with four cups of cold water. Stir until the flour-water mixture is a thick paste. (You will need both a strong arm and a strong wooden spoon!)

Slowly add the flour-water paste to the boiling water, stirring constantly. Bring to a second boil, stirring constantly while the mixture thickens. Do not allow lumps to form and do not allow it to stick to the bottom of the pot. Cook and stir for a few minutes.

Slowly add the remaining flour. The mixture should be very thick and smooth, like extra-thick mashed potatoes. At this point the sadza should begin to pull away from the sides of the pot and form a large ball. Cook for a few minutes more.

Transfer the sadza to a large bowl. With wet hands, form the sadaz into one large ball (to serve family-style) or serving sized-portions. Serve immediately with any soup or stew. To eat sadza: use your right hand to grab a bite-sized lump, form it into a ball, and dip it into the soup or stew.

Maize is Zimbabwe's number one agricultural crop. Sadaza is most often made from ground maize (corn), and this has been the case for a century or more. However, maize is native to the Americas, and did not arrive in Africa until after the time of Columbus. Before maize arrived in Zimbabwe, sadza was made from various type of millet native to Africa. To make sadza, use finely ground corn flour, or millet flour. Farina or cream of wheat might also serve as a substitute.

Thank you google.... I couldn't have put it better myself!!!

I make my own boerewors. Biltong is a bit tricky in these humid conditions but then again, I have my contact in biltong country who keeps me supplied. Tried beef jerky once but was not impressed. There is nothing to beat springbok biltong though. . .

I thought of trying to make my own pap. The mielies (read maize) aren't too bad and I'm sure I can pound some into the right consistency with a crock/sak (read mortar & pestle).

Talk about Thai/South African fusion cooking. Maybe I have something here. :o

I gotta agree bilting is way way better than beef jerky. I used to live with some SA's in London. I even went out with a chick from SA for a while. Went to Cape Town twice, Love the boerewors. Whats the other one Jurwors or something? Bilting and beer. MMMMmm. My best mate is married to a SA chick. So when i stayed with them then she used to get some sent over very few months or so. LOve It!

Just in case you need it, I have found some Cajun fodds and spices web sites that ship internationally.

Their rates for actual product are reasonable...

But the shipping costs are the killer....

Love that Cajun food!!!!