Cruise Down Mae Kok River

snopz

Hi,

My family is heading to Chiang Rai next week. We would like to take a long tail boat down Mae Kok River maybe stopping at a Karen village. Need some advice on this.

1. Where is the jetty for such boat trips??? Possible to find it on Google Maps??? We hired a driver from Chiang Mai and not sure whether he knows the place.

2. Is it safe?? Do they provide safety/life vests?? How many people can a boat carry???

3. Does anyone know the price???

On a separate topic, is the flower festival over???

Thanks in advance...

You can get a boat at the Golden Triangle on the Mekong about 25 km from Chiang Rai or so?

These boats are rented by the hour, full power motor and yes they provide life jackets of all sizes including childrens

I took my son and he loved it.

The Golden Triangle is where Thailand, Laos and Burma all come together in the Mekong, so you can see all 3 countries from the river.

you can see over 300 Golden Triangle, Mekong and the boat photos at visualthailand.com all current

Edited by Nio

Just got back from the flower festival. Much less crowded in the morning but I'm sure the sunset would be nice there on the river.

Some of the flowers are starting to suffer from the midday sun. Maybe best not to leave it to the last day.

Jetty VF ? Where's the Jetty ? :)

I believe the Jetty is over the bridge near the Rimkok. you can get boat trips up river towards Taton. Karen (Elephant ) Villages & Hot springs I believe on the way. Its easy to find, I'm sure someone who lives in Town will be along with better directions.

Just got back from the flower festival. Much less crowded in the morning but I'm sure the sunset would be nice there on the river.

Some of the flowers are starting to suffer from the midday sun. Maybe best not to leave it to the last day.

Jetty VF ? Where's the Jetty ? :)

Others were already addressing the boat part of the question so I decided to focus on the flower festival part of the question. Division of labor, as it were. :D

Ooops ! In my haste to get the last word in I didn't read the whole question. dam_n! Failed Miserably :D One day VF ; One fine day :)

Is the Last day of the Flower festival Sunday ?

Think I saw something that said Jan.6th but wouldn't put money on that, with my memory what it is. :D

I await "the day" with bated breath. :D

Edited by villagefarang

Some of the boats do not have life vests. In most parts of the river it is only about 4 feet deep unless there is a lot of runoff. We go to a spot where the guys keep their boats by the side of the river, just north of the Dusit hotel ( on Google it's 19.55.176N 99.49.524E ). You can negotiate a price from any of the guys there. Park in the Dusit parking lot and go across the little foot bridge to the west, walk up the river a bit and they are all there. Take the driver with you so he can negotiate prices for you.

Alternately you can park in the parking lot on the west side of the foot bridge as it's the Dust's staff accommodations, there is lots of room there, but maybe not as safe for the car although we never had a problem.

Edited by lukamar

where do they take you on the Mekong river???

You can get a boat at the Golden Triangle on the Mekong about 25 km from Chiang Rai or so?

These boats are rented by the hour, full power motor and yes they provide life jackets of all sizes including childrens

I took my son and he loved it.

The Golden Triangle is where Thailand, Laos and Burma all come together in the Mekong, so you can see all 3 countries from the river.

you can see over 300 Golden Triangle, Mekong and the boat photos at visualthailand.com all current

dam_n...we will be there on 7th & 8th Jan...

Ooops ! In my haste to get the last word in I didn't read the whole question. dam_n! Failed Miserably :D One day VF ; One fine day :)

Is the Last day of the Flower festival Sunday ?

Think I saw something that said Jan.6th but wouldn't put money on that, with my memory what it is. :D

I await "the day" with bated breath. :D

The boat jetty is on the Northern bank. The boats go up the Mae Kok to the Karen elephant village then all the way to the Burmese border at Thaton. It's a great trip.

Nio is talking about a different river, which surprises me as I've never heard anyone confusing the Mae Kok with the Mekong before. :)

Thanks for the info...

So in this case, is it better to ask the driver to go to Dusit Island or Rimkok Resort???

The boat jetty is on the Northern bank. The boats go up the Mae Kok to the Karen elephant village then all the way to the Burmese border at Thaton. It's a great trip.

Nio is talking about a different river, which surprises me as I've never heard anyone confusing the Mae Kok with the Mekong before. :)

Sounds like your better off trying the Dusit first. probably get a better price . The Jetty is only a few minutes drive away anyway, you can probably see it from the Dusit.

Just a quick note. You can see where they park the boats from the Dusit pool area. Don't book a trip at or from the Dusit itself it will cost you a lot more.