Thaksin: Flowers Not Bombs For Prem

webfact

Yes that is the second picture I meant.

It doesn't even show a real wai, since it doesn't appear,

from evidence presented thus far, that one was even given in return...

Actually in the video Prem bows his head slightly while walking forward towards Thaksin,

and raises his head as his arms come together slightly.

But we see NOTHING of Prem wai'ing Thaksin in this video.

We then see the individual lower side shot of Prem's clasped hands,

and a more saddened face, and no wai at all. This is logically at the time

when the video of Prem's is hidden by Thaksin's back.

In the top shot, we see eyes drilling into Thaksin like daggers without hands shown.

Interestingly this is the shot chosen for Prem's website.

No wai and clear disapproval of his presence, so clear even a farang can tell at a glance,

For Thai's this must be anything but subtle.

All pretense of Thai traditional greetings towards Thaksin seem to be missing from any media of this event.

I'm even more confused now.

Where's the picture you meant? "I recall the news reports during the late summer of 2006 of Prem giving Thaksin a wai from Prem's navel." :D

Surely, if you are so convinced about it, why nobody can find it ? :)

LaoPo

Tripled post.

All pretense of Thai traditional greetings towards Thaksin seem to be missing from any media of this event.

Well it looks like no wai was given at all, and the press was being kind

at calling that clasped hand greeting as some sort of wai.

The slightly bowed head and eyes downwards as Prem approaches,

his only available exit direction from the alter it seems,

appears as the mannerisms of an older gentlemen composing his thoughts,

before approaching someone he would rather not be seen with.

'How shall I deal with this situation in a seconds time.'

Clearly considering the number of cameras about, if Prem wai'd Thaksin,

it would be on film now. That Prem chose a web site picture with out any hands shown,

with Thaksin wei'ing high, and Prem looking displeased, was more than just accidental.

At this level of polite Thai society little things take on greater significance

and large gestures speak more as symbolism than direct words would be used to express.

Why would Thai gestures leave you confused, since you say you know Thailand so well?

Edited by animatic

Why would Thai gestures leave you confused, since you say you know Thailand so well?

Well they apparently leave you confused.Alright a quick lesson for the newbie.An elder statesman like Prem with extremely high status doesn't have to wai any commoner in other than a perfunctory manner.I've seen the photo of Prem and Thaksin and it's clear formalities were observed.Doesn't mean they like each other but in the world of upper class Thais there's little open rudeness or overt disrespect among themselves.What is said in private is another matter.

Basically a non story fanned up by someone who doesn't understand upper class protocol.

Well they apparently leave you confused.Alright a quick lesson for the newbie.An elder statesman like Prem with extremely high status doesn't have to wai any commoner in other than a perfunctory manner.I've seen the photo of Prem and Thaksin and it's clear formalities were observed.Doesn't mean they like each other but in the world of upper class Thais there's little open rudeness or overt disrespect among themselves.What is said in private is another matter.

Basically a non story fanned up by someone who doesn't understand upper class protocol.

post-13995-1262737582_thumb.jpg

Which of course goes counter to the obvious high wai he gave Thaksin in the 3rd picture above.

It is clear he chose how to treat Thaksin in this funeral instance differently than the one before.

A former Prime Minister is rarely considered a simple commoner.

Thaksin had several royally bestowed titles and ranks, not a simple commoner.

In this case his acknowledged status was significantly lowered.

Hey, it's not me doing it.

And no amount of verbal slight of hand can disguise the look in Prem's eyes.

post-13995-1262737568.jpg

Edited by animatic

I find the Nation's article rambling and poorly structured. In particular, the third and fourth paragraphs seem to contain random non sequitur quotes from Prem.

I could of course be unfairly criticising the Nation as Thai politicos are famous for their rambling, cryptic, disingenuous speeches from which the audience has to decode the meaning. Prem might have been up to this, rambling, I mean.