Who Are Your "heroes" For 2009 ?

orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Our heroes for this waning (by the farang calendar) year are :

Dr. Maung, and a 12 year old Myanmar young woman, 'Choo, an orphan, who made a perilous six hour journey to get across the border carrying her very sick, malarial, baby sister to a clinic in Thailand at Mae Tao, in Tak ... travelling with no money, and only the "clothes on her back."

We think it's TV policy to ban linking to a story on the Bangkok Post : but if you go to their website, and do a search on 'Choo : a link to the story about her, with pictures, will be the only result of the search; so, the article is easy to find. Warning : suggest you have tissue ready if you dare to read her story.

Dr. Maung's Clinic Website (the story of 'Choo is not mentioned there, although we have not searched the site extensively, there's certainly no link to the "other newspaper" on the home page).

And, on the bright side : Thailand's and Chiang Mai's wonderful young man, Mong Thongdee, also 12 years old : son of Burmese illegals born in Thailand; he of "paper-airplane" fame who, against all odds, managed to get a passport, and go to the paper-airplane contest in Japan where he came in third : Nation story on Mong Thongdee ... Nation story in September just after Mong Thongdee was able to get permission to go to Japan

Who are your heroes ?

Happy, Merry

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

My heros are the wonderful young orphans at Wat Don Chan in Chiang Mai.

No matter that their circumstances are dire, :) they ALWAYS manage a truly genuine smile whenever I have seen them :D

Also my hat is off to the Abbot of the Temple Phra Ajarn Annan, who somehow manages to look after 620 children assisted by only 27 monks and some volunteers.

I propose Khun Lek, the Muu Satay seller at the Lamduan Khaw Soi. He has been my good friend for more than 25 years...He has never taken one day off from work in more than 30 years of selling Muu Satay.

He also has the most delicious Muu Satay I have ever had :)

I can't think of ONE sports hero or international leader who would remotely get on a "hero's list". But, there are thousands of unknown people who struggle through life helping others in any way they can. My hat is off to the unsung heros wherever they may be.

Orang's story of the young girl is just one of many.

yeah Woods should go with it. Start wearing a purple felt hat with a feather in it. Maybe a fur coat with cans of Colt .45 malt liquor in the pockets. Just go full pimp. Big afro hairstyle. Giant jewelry.

We expect our sports heroes to be alpha males. At least this way he seems real and human to match his golf skills.

I can't think of ONE sports hero or international leader who would remotely get on a "hero's list". But, there are thousands of unknown people who struggle through life helping others in any way they can. My hat is off to the unsung heros wherever they may be.

I can... HH Dalai Lama

I can... HH Dalai Lama

I stand corrected. My hats off to you sir for stirring my memory.

My heros are the wonderful young orphans at Wat Don Chan in Chiang Mai.

No matter that their circumstances are dire, :) they ALWAYS manage a truly genuine smile whenever I have seen them :D

Also my hat is off to the Abbot of the Temple Phra Ajarn Annan, who somehow manages to look after 620 children assisted by only 27 monks and some volunteers.

^ they moved me close to tears a few years ago when they sung a few songs, after we provided lunch

a very humbling experience

Again, not in the league of some mentioned, but ... I'd nominate Voranai Vanijaka at the Bangkok Post ... on the basis that oak trees from small acorns grow. As everyone reading this would appreciate the general standard of journalism in BKK Post & The Nation is pretty lame ... just wishful thinking, sucking-up and media release regurgitation for the most part.

Voranai has written quite a number of thoughtful pieces to date, and has probably won few friends in the Thai elite with his contributions ... but it's the very type of stuff that Thais need to be saying, thinking about, and acting on, if the country is ever to move forward & up