Violence Inevitable If No Amnesty For Ex-premier Thaksin

webfact

Buying a mandate is not the same as earning one.

Or acting for all citizens, above and beyond the demographic limits of an alleged mandate.

If in the first sentence you are saying that Thaksin's mandate wasn't genuine (just vote buying on a massive scale) you have just lost complete credibility.Thaksin was and probably is still the most popular Thai politician, and therein lies the problem.

As to the second sentence you have a point.Thaksin made some despicable comments when PM on "if you aren't with us you're against us" lines with the clear suggestion that state funds would be withheld from unfriendly areas, ie the South.On the other hand bear in mind the Bangkok middle class who generally hate Thaksin have for decades had more than their fair share of resources.

Not just suggestions but facts.

My landlord in 2005 was at a Samui meeting were to two losing TRT candiates came in and said;

I paraphrase:

'Well we lost, and the boss cut your infrastructure funds by 80%,

should have voted TRT.' and left laughing.

Shortly there after there was 18 days of rain and the island infrastructure was overwhelmed,

I personally almost drowned, because of this. and many died in Surat thani flooding.

Finally a emergency was declared and funds were shamed into being sent out for big pumps and hoses.

But not before it had been a critical need for some time.

This was the reality and not hyperbole.

His own TRT minions confirmed it in public.

I never want to see the likes of Thaksin in office again.

Not just his alleged mandate, but ALL of Thailand must be given equal aid and governance.

Edited by animatic

Or acting for all citizens, above and beyond the demographic limits of an alleged mandate.

If in the first sentence you are saying that Thaksin's mandate wasn't genuine (just vote buying on a massive scale) you have just lost complete credibility.Thaksin was and probably is still the most popular Thai politician, and therein lies the problem.

<snip>

"Suan Dusit has a new poll surveying 9,050 people throughout the country from December 10-29 mainly focusing on the most liked persons in different categories in 2009. No other details of the survey data are available, but this is a much larger than usual sample size..........

Q3. What male politician do you like the most?

A. [Prime Minister] Abhisit Vejjajiva, 52.04%

B. [Former Prime Minister] Thaksin Shinawatra, 47.96%"

http://asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-pund...ian-in-thailand

Complete poll report (in Thai) at: http://www.ryt9.com/s/sdp/772431

As to the second sentence you have a point.Thaksin made some despicable comments when PM on "if you aren't with us you're against us" lines with the clear suggestion that state funds would be withheld from unfriendly areas, ie the South.On the other hand bear in mind the Bangkok middle class who generally hate Thaksin have for decades had more than their fair share of resources.

My landlord in 2005 was at a Samui meeting were to two losing TRT candiates came in and said;

I paraphrase:

Shortly there after there was 18 days of rain and the island infrastructure was overwhelmed,

I personally almost drowned, because of this. and many died in Surat thani flooding.

Finally a emergency was declared and funds were shamed into being sent out for big pumps and hoses.

Not just his alleged mandate, but ALL of Thailand must be given equal aid and governance.

Do read my posts more carefully.I actually agreed with you that Thaksin discriminated against regions where he didn't have support (though your "nearly drowning" anecdote "shortly thereafter" has a certain Munchausen flavour to it).

On the critical point of Thaksin's overall national mandate all you can feebly rejoinder with is "alleged".

Google:

Panlop confirms to lead anti-govt rally

and:

Thaksin 'will stop protests if govt spares him from jail'

and:

Thaksin counts the minutes to his B76bn fortune

Therein is the reason Thailand is being held for ransom.

Pity the fools who believe this has anything to do with 'returning democracy' or 'helping the poor'...

It's all about Mr Thaksin, megalomaniac/victim, period.

I paraphrase:

Do read my posts more carefully.I actually agreed with you that Thaksin discriminated against regions where he didn't have support (though your "nearly drowning" anecdote "shortly thereafter" has a certain Munchausen flavour to it).

On the critical point of Thaksin's overall national mandate all you can feebly rejoinder with is "alleged".

Sorry dude,

but swept off my bike in a flash flood in meter deep fast running water

caused by infrastructure breakdown is not Munchausian in any degree.

It was scary as hel_l and left me angry about the cause ever since.

Ask anyone who was there about the winter floods on Samui and Surat Thani 2005-6...

Sorry dude,

but swept off my bike in a flash flood in meter deep fast running water

caused by infrastructure breakdown is not Munchausian in any degree.

It was scary as hel_l and left me angry about the cause ever since.

Ask anyone who was there about the winter floods on Samui and Surat Thani 2005-6...

You should get Terry Gilliam to direct this comical scene as he has solid Munchausean experience..As a matter of interest what was the gap in time between the TRT defeat in your area and the Animatic swept off his bike and out to sea shock horror.You seem like an educated man and therefore will understand the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.Perhaps the TRT rogues sabotaged the bicycling infrastructure or is Thaksin responsible for global warming among his other misdemeanours?

Of course on the main point of Thaksin's "alleged" overall national mandate nothing from you but silence.

It's sad to think that this whole farce would be over if Abhisit would admit that the coup and all of its appointed investigative agencies were wrong, the 1997 constitution was reinstated, amnesty was provided for those involved in the military takeover (with their resignations, of course), and elections were called. Sure, a few generals and elites would have to eat a bit of humble pie, but the people of Thailand would be far happier.

I agree.

Let's see if I understand this. Thaksin must be granted this pardon for a crime he committed and for which he never served a day in jail or admitted his guilt, by some illegal plea. And if he doesn't get his pardon, all his ill-gained untaxed profit, and a return to power, he will overthrow the government and rape and pillage, and the armed forces must obey Thaksin....

No, you do not understand it. The former PM was overthrown by a military coup. All that followed from the junta was tainted, including the trial. You know the old legal position about the fruit of the poisonous tree being tainted as well, no matter how acceptable it looks. Mr. Thaksin did not receive a fair trial. Had Mr. Thaksin been granted the right of due process and been found guilty of the civil allegations, I could understand your position.

I do not agree with any threat of violence, but it is inevitable if the current situation continues. PM Abhisit is between an angry mob and military generals that don't want to lose power, and in between is a freshly dug shallow political grave courtesy of his indecisiveness and policies.

I don't think Mr. Thaksin will be the trigger of any violence. Rather, it will be angry people suffering from the economic climate. Although Thailand was not battered like some countries, it is in a delicate and weakened economic state and has a growing number of disenfranchised unemployed/underemployed young people that will seize any opportunity to vent their collective frustration. Mobs don't need a valid reason to riot. It is a monkey see monkey do reaction.

As mentioned within the title of this thread, "Violence is Inevitable....."

That reminds me of Cambodia's Hun Sen repeatedly trying to thwart the int'l court proceedings dealing with the Khmer Rouge kingpins by saying, "if there is a trial, Cambodia will explode with riots and violence."

It's one of the last refuges of tin pot hat tough guys with brass medallions hanging on their shirts: "If I don't get my way, the people will riot ..... blah blah blah."

Reality has showed us that, for the past months, the Red Shirts are a spent force, if they ever were a force to begin with. At their height, they were a relatively small mob rioting in Pattaya and Bangkok back in April 2009. They've got less power now than then, as evidenced by the fact that every time they announce a rally, it's either called off or a paltry few show up.

The caption should read:

Big Shot Buddy of Disgraced Ex-Caretaker PM Thaksin Tries to Bully the Thai People in to Thinking They Must Completely Forgive Thaksin of his Trespasses, or Else He'll Release the Scruffy Remnants of His Red Shirt Roving Mob Upon Your Cities and Towns.

Edited by brahmburgers

As mentioned within the title of this thread, "Violence is Inevitable....."

That reminds me of Cambodia's Hun Sen repeatedly trying to thwart the int'l court proceedings dealing with the Khmer Rouge kingpins by saying, "if there is a trial, Cambodia will explode with riots and violence."

It's one of the last refuges of tin pot hat tough guys with brass medallions hanging on their shirts: "If I don't get my way, the people will riot ..... blah blah blah."

Reality has showed us that, for the past months, the Red Shirts are a spent force, if they ever were a force to begin with. At their height, they were a relatively small mob rioting in Pattaya and Bangkok back in April 2009. They've got less power now than then, as evidenced by the fact that every time they announce a rally, it's either called off or a paltry few show up.

The caption should read:

Big Shot Buddy of Disgraced Ex-Caretaker PM Thaksin Tries to Bully the Thai People in to Thinking They Must Completely Forgive Thaksin of his Trespasses, or Else He'll Release the Scruffy Remnants of His Red Shirt Roving Mob Upon Your Cities and Towns.

Shouldn't that read - Big Shot Buddy of Convicted Criminal Ex-Caretaker PM Thaksin etc etc

Let's see if I understand this. Thaksin must be granted this pardon for a crime he committed and for which he never served a day in jail or admitted his guilt, by some illegal plea. And if he doesn't get his pardon, all his ill-gained untaxed profit, and a return to power, he will overthrow the government and rape and pillage, and the armed forces must obey Thaksin....

So I take it you are still p*ssed off about the Reds closing the Chiang Mai Gay Parade? What can Taksin do to earn your forgiveness, appear in a G-string gyrating to Shirley Bassey hits at the Sydney Gay Mardi Gras?

It's sad to think that this whole farce would be over if Abhisit would admit that the coup and all of its appointed investigative agencies were wrong, the 1997 constitution was reinstated, amnesty was provided for those involved in the military takeover (with their resignations, of course), and elections were called. Sure, a few generals and elites would have to eat a bit of humble pie, but the people of Thailand would be far happier.

Nonsense!

Anyway...

สวัสดีปีใหหม่ครับ :)

This is the SECOND TIME airplane has posted this EXACT word for word post.

Word for word canned propaganda, cut and paste, repeat.

You can tell something is up when the PR proxies come out

and post the canned stuff over and over again.

Next Stumbo will call me a liar and say I should go into politics.

Well it is a prerequisite to a successful and profitable political career, where are you thinking of running?

Nonsense!

Anyway...

You do love to rant and rave about Taksin, which is regarded as a positive character trait on this forum, but how about introducing more reality and less opinionated hysteria. You should think about politics, you have all the right credentals.

Lets stay roughly on topic and avoid accusations of psychiatric illnesses. Unless, of course, you are a licensed psychiatrist. Otherwise, it seems like flaming to me and will earn deletions and warnings.

Well, it would seem that as no amnesty will be forthcoming, we had all better get ready for a fight. At least Taksin has given us a heads up of his plans so all involved (public, politicians, police and military) have plenty of time to prepare.

What a great start to the New Year.

Well, it would seem that as no amnesty will be forthcoming, we had all better get ready for a fight. At least Taksin has given us a heads up of his plans so all involved (public, politicians, police and military) have plenty of time to prepare.

What a great start to the New Year.

There won't be a big fight. The Reds are like 'experts' = ex - spurts = a drop of water that's expelled its pressure so as to be left essentially powerless.

The Reds make a lot of noise but account for nearly nothing anymore. They're spent.

Help, the sky is falling! .....not.

Nonsense!

Anyway...

You do love to rant and rave about Taksin, which is regarded as a positive character trait on this forum, but how about introducing more reality and less opinionated hysteria. You should think about politics, you have all the right credentals.

Right on cue,

and apros of nothing at all.

So easy to manipulate it's startling, since nothing was said about

Thaksin yet the rant comes on anyway.

Oh, yes lets not forget 'argument ad hominum',

shoot the messengers who dilute your messages.

Nonsense!

Anyway...

Agreed Nonsense,just another Thaksin Troll.

I don't think Mr. Thaksin will be the trigger of any violence.

:)

Best unbelievable spin of this new year (thus far;)

:D

A wacko smiley for me??? That's major nast.

Here, let me help you out since it appears you may have a reading comprehension problem.

I don't think Mr. Thaksin will be the trigger of any violence. Rather, it will be angry people suffering from the economic climate. Although Thailand was not battered like some countries, it is in a delicate and weakened economic state and has a growing number of disenfranchised unemployed/underemployed young people that will seize any opportunity to vent their collective frustration. Mobs don't need a valid reason to riot. It is a monkey see monkey do reaction.

I suggest you do some research. When mobs riot they usually do it under what is called "mob psychology" . Do you think England's soccer riots happen because anyone there gives a hoot about the football team? When the French students were rioting back in the 60's do you think they even knew the politics they were protesting on behalf of? When mobs go on the rampage in china,do you think they are protesting the Dim Sum menu at Wo Fat's house of roadkill? Large scale riots are fueled by young males looking for excitement and having a go at causing havoc on the assumption they won't get caught. Look around you. On every corner sits a disillusioned male full of resentment. Poverty does that to people.

Mr. Thaksin did not receive a fair trial.

Actually i think it was a fairly open and shut case. The only thing "unfair" about it was that usually people of power and influence in Thailand are able to avoid guilty verdicts in these sorts of cases. For sure had Thaksin been PM it would have never even got to court.

So in that sense i guess you could say it was "unfair".

Actually, now i come to think of it, it was unfair. Anyone who attempts to bribe the court should have their sentence doubled.

I don't think Mr. Thaksin will be the trigger of any violence.

:)

Best unbelievable spin of this new year (thus far;)

:D

A wacko smiley for me??? That's major nast.

Here, let me help you out since it appears you may have a reading comprehension problem.

I suggest you do some research. When mobs riot they usually do it under what is called "mob psychology" . Do you think England's soccer riots happen because anyone there gives a hoot about the football team? When the French students were rioting back in the 60's do you think they even knew the politics they were protesting on behalf of? When mobs go on the rampage in china,do you think they are protesting the Dim Sum menu at Wo Fat's house of roadkill? Large scale riots are fueled by young males looking for excitement and having a go at causing havoc on the assumption they won't get caught. Look around you. On every corner sits a disillusioned male full of resentment. Poverty does that to people.

I think you are spot on with your comments re disillusioned male full of resentment as well as the comment re mob psychology, but I'm sure betting your lifes savings is a safe bet that a convicted criminal who happens to be an ex-PM is very well aware of these facts and is playing this as hard as he can. Of course this is not for his own benefit but for the benefit of the nation.