Whats Wrong With Lakeland?

db1tau

I was looking for land near the canal road recently and was wondering why the plots in lakeland are exceptionally cheap and plenty for sale.

I thought because it's near the airport, but I live in sivolee (Land&Houses) now, also near the airport and the noise level is very tolerable.

There are rumours of murdered farangs in that village and it is also told that at night the streets are crawling with snakes, but you know how the thais are in things like that.

Is there any reason (for farangs) not to live in lakeland?

Happy new Year!

Marco.

Also had a look out there, the airport noise is very very loud as next to where the planes rev up for take off. Also it seems to be a failed Moobaan, so no facilities, no cleaning or security. How will all that be legally organized?

If you enjoyed the Aussie movie "The Castle" then this could be for you. May also have resale problems. We really tried to talk ourselves into it but in the end failed.

I know someone who live there, and its a weird place to visit, while some houses are fabulous others are falling down and have vines growing through them.

It could have been a great Moo Baan

There are quite a few moobaans in C.M. with similar housing circumstances.

Could you buy a reasonable house there for 1M Baht with a large garden ?.I have just moved to CM and have a 6 months rental in a house in SanSai .I am looking to buy a modest but good house for 1 M .

Are there other bargain areas in CM to look ?

Edited by Thaifan2

Well you can get land for about 8000-10000 THB per sqwah there, while you usually have to double the price in other places near the city.

There are no ready made houses so you have to build by yourself. But Lakeland is one of the nearest moo baan to the city.

What are the advantages of having a lake near your house? Some houses have a little pier and a rowing boat in a lake or canal. You can take water for your garden for free.

I guess you will also get a lot of mosquitoes and even snakes from the lakes. I never looked at lakeland in raintime so I don't know if

flooding is an issue.

Sure if you need security, pool and gym, then lakeland is not the place. But you have to compare it to land outside a moo baan and even for that it's really cheap.

I know someone who live there, and its a weird place to visit, while some houses are fabulous others are falling down and have vines growing through them.

I've been looking there recently for a place to rent and I agree its a weird, eerie place to drive around with,as you say, luxuriously appointed villas with large well tended gardens and jettys down to the water's edge mixed up with neglected , eerie looking mansions which reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock's " Psycho". Jasmine Homes had one such, up for rent. I thought I saw a figure at one window among the vine clad turrets but as the house has now disappeared from Jasmine Home's list, I assume some intrepid soul has risked it for 30,000baht a month.

Another mansion ,surrounded with dereliction, had a sign to rent with telephone number pinned to the gate with half the number missing. That was two weeks ago. That sign has now disappeared so I assume its been taken.The house next door had a troop of wild,barking dogs attached to it. But that may be the least of the prospective occupants worries.

Being slightly off the rails myself, I rather like it. But there doesn't seem to be anything available now.

Can a plot be leased by a UK citizen (say for 99 years)or do you have to be married to a Thai to buy in her name?

I've been looking there recently for a place to rent and I agree its a weird, eerie place to drive around with,as you say, luxuriously appointed villas with large well tended gardens and jettys down to the water's edge mixed up with neglected , eerie looking mansions which reminded me of Alfred Hitchcock's " Psycho". Jasmine Homes had one such, up for rent. I thought I saw a figure at one window among the vine clad turrets but as the house has now disappeared from Jasmine Home's list, I assume some intrepid soul has risked it for 30,000baht a month.

Another mansion ,surrounded with dereliction, had a sign to rent with telephone number pinned to the gate with half the number missing. That was two weeks ago. That sign has now disappeared so I assume its been taken.The house next door had a troop of wild,barking dogs attached to it. But that may be the least of the prospective occupants worries.

Being slightly off the rails myself, I rather like it. But there doesn't seem to be anything available now.

Can a plot be leased by a UK citizen (say for 99 years)or do you have to be married to a Thai to buy in her name?

I know we've debated this before, but I assure you that people are not standing in line to rent homes for 30,000 per month. And the rentals for 30,000 are not going so quickly that the signs are disappearing before your eyes.

I saw a mansion in a moobaan near my home that had an asking price of 20,000 per month and it sat there for about 5 months before they apparently lowered the rent. The owner must have been living there because the gardens and grounds were immaculate. In fact why don't you go there and check out the moobaan as there may be something you are looking for? It is called Lanna Ville on the Mae Jo Road. It too has a mixture of mansions and shacks as well as eerie looking abandoned mansions with vines growing through them. The guard shacks are abandoned and the sois have potholes some as deep as 10 inches or so - so be careful! I think the moobaan is in 2 parts but they don't interconnect as far as I know. One part has more abandoned homes than the other. I always thought that it would be a great place to film a movie.

You can not get a 99 year lease like in Mexico. I believe the current law is 30 years.

Edited by elektrified

I know we've debated this before, but I assure you that people are not standing in line to rent homes for 30,000 per month. And the rentals for 30,000 are not going so quickly that the signs are disappearing before your eyes.

I saw a mansion in a moobaan near my home that had an asking price of 20,000 per month and it sat there for about 5 months before they apparently lowered the rent. The owner must have been living there because the gardens and grounds were immaculate. In fact why don't you go there and check out the moobaan as there may be something you are looking for? It is called Lanna Ville on the Mae Jo Road. It too has a mixture of mansions and shacks as well as eerie looking abandoned mansions with vines growing through them. The guard shacks are abandoned and the sois have potholes some as deep as 10 inches or so - so be careful! I think the moobaan is in 2 parts but they don't interconnect as far as I know. One part has more abandoned homes than the other. I always thought that it would be a great place to film a movie.

You can not get a 99 year lease like in Mexico. I believe the current law is 30 years.

Many thanks for the info about leasing. Strangely, I've just printed out the details of a house in Lanna Ville fom Jasmine Homes website in 552sq. yds of garden but its Under Offer at 30,000baht. He has 7 listed for 30,000, one, in rural Mae Rim looks splendid but is already LET, one is a Condo, the other four are still available. I still think , as I said last time, you can't get space,a large garden,peace and quiet, an acceptable degree of civilised behaviour,abscence of poor Thai neighbours with their inevitable crowing cockerels and barking dogs under 25/30,000baht. Most Moo Baans fill me with horror at how closely they're all stacked together. Its just my personal preference to want space. I even traveled 30kms to-day to look at one in rural Mae Taeng for 25,000baht in 2260sq yds but beautiful as the house was, the crowing cocks of the thai neighbours rendered it a no go area for me.

I will explore Lanna Ville tomorow and check out its schizophrenic tendencies, its potential for a horror movie, big ravenous cats, long crawling sliding things,abandoned homes and other features which will certainly endear it to yours tuly.

Edited by Asmerom

Many thanks for the info about leasing. Strangely, I've just printed out the details of a house in Lanna Ville fom Jasmine Homes website in 552sq. yds of garden but its Under Offer at 30,000baht. He has 7 listed for 30,000, one, in rural Mae Rim looks splendid but is already LET, one is a Condo, the other four are still available. I still think , as I said last time, you can't get space,a large garden,peace and quiet, an acceptable degree of civilised behaviour,abscence of poor Thai neighbours with their inevitable crowing cockerels and barking dogs under 25/30,000baht. Most Moo Baans fill me with horror at how closely they're all stacked together. Its just my personal preference to want space. I even traveled 30kms to-day to look at one in rural Mae Taeng for 25,000baht in 2260sq yds but beautiful as the house was, the crowing cocks of the thai neighbours rendered it a no go area for me.

I will explore Lanna Ville tomorow and check out its schizophrenic tendencies, its potential for a horror movie, big ravenous cats, long crawling sliding things,abandoned homes and other features which will certainly endear it to yours tuly.

It's difficult to locate because for some reason they took down the large (only) sign at the front of the moobaan....hard to figure. If you go there with Jasmine they will show you where it is. If you venture alone, I'll be glad to tell you how to get in to the moobaan from the back way where it is much easier to find. My g/f thinks the other section of the moobaan where the abandoned mansions are is actually across the road near the tree farm. But I am not sure she is correct about that.

Doesn't it flood in there sometimes?

-A good 'heads-up'! Wherever you intend to buy or rent await mid-rainy season to check with your own eyes the lay of thee land. This place has been dormant for over a decade yet within the last year that mod-mansion front right went up and a couple of farangs built but had purchased their plots 15+ years ago. Many houses are delapitated. Hard to get a sense of what is happening there. I suspect low plot prices - relatively. Caveat emptor

Doesn't it flood in there sometimes?

-A good 'heads-up'! Wherever you intend to buy or rent await mid-rainy season to check with your own eyes the lay of thee land. This place has been dormant for over a decade yet within the last year that mod-mansion front right went up and a couple of farangs built but had purchased their plots 15+ years ago. Many houses are delapitated. Hard to get a sense of what is happening there. I suspect low plot prices - relatively. Caveat emptor

I don't think the plot prices are that cheap...you know the Thai ways......if it does not sell...raise the price :D

Most of the land is owned by wealthy Thais I suspect, so just hanging onto it till market conditions improve is their mindset

What they don't seem to realise is that supply is way outstripping demand and they could be stuck with the plot for life :D

Land and House are building 1,000 units not 3 kliks away :)

It's difficult to locate because for some reason they took down the large (only) sign at the front of the moobaan....hard to figure. If you go there with Jasmine they will show you where it is. If you venture alone, I'll be glad to tell you how to get in to the moobaan from the back way where it is much easier to find. My g/f thinks the other section of the moobaan where the abandoned mansions are is actually across the road near the tree farm. But I am not sure she is correct about that.

I found Lanna Ville; many thanks for drawing my attention to it ; no sign, as you say, but 1 and a half kms. up the 1001 from Rimping, after first taking the wrong turn into Baan Ram Nam(very big sign) which is about 50 mtrs. further along and a replica of Lanna Ville which itself, is such an extensive rambling place I didn't actually find any of the houses I had the details of from Jasmine Homes Rentals at 30,000,40,000 and 60,000baht. Just curious to see them rather than rent at that price. I will visit later with Jasmine Homes and maybe they can point out the one you mentioned at 20,000 though I doubt it, as they only have the three I've just mentioned.There is a very small, practically invisible blue sign at the other end on the 3029 road.

Lanna Ville does have a lot in common with Lakeland and I just wonder if the OP ,db1tau, would be interested in exploring its potential for plot purchase.Probably not, as its not near the Canal Road.I wonder how plot prices in Lanna Ville would compare with Lakeland which he says is cheap at 8/10,000per square wah ; noting that TaiPauly says "I don't think the prices are that cheap". Who's right? TP adds that "Land and House" are building 1000 units nearby, though just how a proliferating sea of identical little boxes,in depressingly straight lines, all facing one another,in handkerchief sized gardens has to do with the appeal of characterful mansions in acres of space escapes me.Chalk and Cheese.

Lots of plots available,no straight lines, wonderfully spacious feel, many new homes being constructed,all the homes in extensive gardens, all different,one with a 12ft. wall completely enclosing it with 18" of railing on top of that!! Never seen that before-rather ugly. Another stunning one, the size of three mansions ,really more like a palace,fit for a prince. An amazing variety and such a relief from the claustrophic feel of the run of the mill moo baan by Land and House, Koolpunt Ville and their ilk. Its nice to know that places like this exist even if one can't afford the rents. It is still very surprising though, with so much conspicuous wealth around, the owners show little or no concern for the general upkeep of the area in which they live which consequently has a decidedly neglected feel to it. But the general impression is one of wealth rather than dereliction. They just care for and protect their own houses; not the community.

I'd be interested in the OP's comments on this thread so far.

<snip>

Lanna Ville does have a lot in common with Lakeland and I just wonder if the OP ,db1tau, would be interested in exploring its potential for plot purchase.Probably not, as its not near the Canal Road.I wonder how plot prices in Lanna Ville would compare with Lakeland which he says is cheap at 8/10,000per square wah ; noting that TaiPauly says "I don't think the prices are that cheap". Who's right? TP adds that "Land and House" are building 1000 units nearby, though just how a proliferating sea of identical little boxes,in depressingly straight lines, all facing one another,in handkerchief sized gardens has to do with the appeal of characterful mansions in acres of space escapes me.Chalk and Cheese.

Lots of plots available,no straight lines, wonderfully spacious feel, many new homes being constructed,all the homes in extensive gardens, all different,one with a 12ft. wall completely enclosing it with 18" of railing on top of that!! Never seen that before-rather ugly. Another stunning one, the size of three mansions ,really more like a palace,fit for a prince. An amazing variety and such a relief from the claustrophic feel of the run of the mill moo baan by Land and House, Koolpunt Ville and their ilk. Its nice to know that places like this exist even if one can't afford the rents. It is still very surprising though, with so much conspicuous wealth around, the owners show little or no concern for the general upkeep of the area in which they live which consequently has a decidedly neglected feel to it. But the general impression is one of wealth rather than dereliction. They just care for and protect their own houses; not the community.

I'd be interested in the OP's comments on this thread so far.

There's a moo ban in Hang dong (Moo Ban Wang Tan) that fits your description—sprawling, anarchic, with non cookie-cutter houses, old trees, etc— that I personally like and where prices are pretty cheap (I think about 7k/Sq Wa at the moment). Perhaps OP would be interested in looking there.

It's just too far from our daily commute, and in any case Mrs. T preferred a more conventional and smaller moo ban for reasons of security.

There's a moo ban in Hang dong (Moo Ban Wang Tan) that fits your description—sprawling, anarchic, with non cookie-cutter houses, old trees, etc— that I personally like and where prices are pretty cheap (I think about 7k/Sq Wa at the moment). Perhaps OP would be interested in looking there.

The OP's gone a bit quiet but I'll certainly be taking a look.Its only about 5km down the road. Thanks for pointing it out.

I want to stay inside 3rd ring and if possible on the westside (near canal road), so hang dong is too far away. I was looking at land near doikham 2, could get 1 rai for 1 Million there but it's just too far away. At the moment I evaluate an offer between nightsafari and samoeng road (so still inside 3rd ring) for 12K per sqwah. It's quite expensive for the distance but the advantage would be a neighborhood without bad surprises.

Btw, does someone know where this house could be exactly?

http://www.jasminehomes.co.th/listingview.php?listingID=638

The city view is stunning, but I have never seen a house on a hill near doikham...

Btw, does someone know where this house could be exactly?

http://www.jasminehomes.co.th/listingview.php?listingID=638

Are you aware that on that webpage the bottom photo is a detailed map showing exactly where the house is?

you have to register to view the map and secondly... JH does not show the "exact" location, FYI... but a close approximation... this is for security reasons. Or so i have been informed by the office

I think in the picture I reconize a cremation smokestack

Front entrance view? Hmm. I'd definitely check that out if you consider it more of a problem than cat-eating pythons.

I had the same question about Lakeland-- which is what brings me in to check out the postings on this topic. I used to bike through there but it kind of gave me the creeps (without knowing anything at all about it) and the dogs were not fun so I rerouted. Interesting to read the comments.

I understand the appeal of the area near the klong for the OP. I don't find the various new mooban projects as dismaying as others might. As I'm on my own or away much of the time, I enjoy the fact that there's at least the appearance of security.... though I assume that just puts the security guys closer to the exit if anything serious ever really comes down. Hope you find something you love within budget.

Yeah the dogs in lakeland are terrible. Even if you go in with a motorbike, you will get attacked quite often. Forget about cycling or walking. But maybe if you live there you can befriend them by feeding... don't know if it works, but I would definitely try it. Sometimes a guard is cycling around there, so maybe if the dogs know you, they aren't so bad anymore.

Its a pity that tang-k closed, we used to eat seafood there and they even had a children playroom. Without it, lakeland even looks more deserted.

For the map on jasminehomes, I don't want to register there since they will start annoying me and I think even if you are registered they won't give out the exact location (unless you make an appointment with the agent). But without the exact location I don't even know if I'm interested in the object. There is a cremation oven next to the front door. And the structure in the "city view" seems to be royal flora or night safari? I would say that picture is taken from wat doikham but they tell it's the view from the house, so I still wonder where it is.

Yeah the dogs in lakeland are terrible. Even if you go in with a motorbike, you will get attacked quite often. Forget about cycling or walking. But maybe if you live there you can befriend them by feeding... don't know if it works, but I would definitely try it. Sometimes a guard is cycling around there, so maybe if the dogs know you, they aren't so bad anymore.
In 2.5 years there, I was never attacked on motorbike or bicycle. Walking, I carried a stick, and was accompanied by a scarred dog who wasn't scared, but he got run off at times. Like most moobaans.

For the map on jasminehomes, I don't want to register there since they will start annoying me and I think even if you are registered they won't give out the exact location (unless you make an appointment with the agent). But without the exact location I don't even know if I'm interested in the object. There is a cremation oven next to the front door. And the structure in the "city view" seems to be royal flora or night safari? I would say that picture is taken from wat doikham but they tell it's the view from the house, so I still wonder where it is.

I've found many houses listed in Jasmine Homes using only those maps , printing them out and and paying close attention to the scale. I've also not been able to find a few. But I'm sure that one, being an individual home, could be easily found. I could be wrong. You won't know until you try. It seems a bit odd that you should choose to ask Thai Visans the whereabouts of a house so clearly located in such detail on an agent's site. Are you sure you're both adventurous and enthusiastic enough to build your own house?

As to being afraid to "register" as you call it, all you do is :

1. Choose a User Name

2. Choose a password and.......... Bob's your uncle. You just log in. It's not life threatening. Neither is telephoning the agent.

I've had zero pestering emails. That doesn't seem to happen. They have better things to do with their time.

Good Luck with your search.