Am I A Bad Driver?

TheJoker12

Upcountry, lane markings mean nothing. It's whoever gets to that spot first, owns it.

Case in point: We have a 5 lane, 2 km. road which leads through our town: 4 lanes for traffic in two directions, and the middle is painted like a "no going here, it's the median" lane. If they want to pass, they will not only use the "no go" lane, but will cross over into the 4th and 5th lanes of oncoming traffic to accomplish their quest! The oncoming traffic just scatters to the shoulders if the aggressor is bigger. This is all at quite high speeds (80kph +) through a heavy business district crowded with students on motorbikes. And yes, we average one death a month (usually a high school or university student).

There's a police station at each end of this raceway, but not once in seven years have I seen a policeman enforcing any traffic safety. (Except for the predictable twice-a-month-no-helmet-fine fleecing of the students).

It's crazy.

That sounds about normal for Thailand. Buddha is looking out for everyone. :)

I've driven in a few countries (USA, New Zealand, France, Italy, Germany, Thailand) and regularly drive in London. My take is that whatever the local bye-laws, right of way rules etc. you need to drive with the awareness of any potential collisions and assume that other drivers WILL do the most dangerous thing possible. So when aware of another vehicle that could arrive in your lane at a slower speed than you, do what is needed to avoid it. Always check what's around you in both wing mirrors, be aware of an escape move into another lane, be prepared to slow down or speed up to create the gap you need to maintain between your vehicle and all the other road users. This awareness is difficult to maintain but, with practice, can mean you are ready to react when something happens.

Never rely on the rules of the road, only on your own driving skills.

In the situation in your diagram, if I had enough time, I would check right wing mirror, move into lane three (outside lane) quick 'toot' on the horn, and being Thailand quick flash of the lights, stick my foot down and get past them. Assuming lane three had traffic, slow down to allow them into my lane.

I think thats the best answer. Defensive driving comes into its own in Thailand. If possible get into the third lane and flash him. And keep out of his way either by slowing or accelerating.

caf

In my years I have held licences to drive HGV1 (articultated vehicles), tracked vehicles, double deck buses, motor cycles, the space shuttle ---no sorry i dream about that one. I have held a licence for 43 years, I was also licenced as a UK and HK driving instructor (part time occupation to make extra coin) and a member of the Uk Institute of Advanced Motorists! I was also a member of the HK Transport Department carrying out accident investigations and accepted as an expert witness in HK Government prosecutions relating to court cases.

I have driven all over the world without any accidents. Is it because I am a very experienced driver or is it because I drive aggresively or defensively? a question I ask quite regularly.

Taking all of the above into account, I believe it all means nothing. The standard of driving in any country depends very heavily on the local drivers fear of the law and the fact that if caught / convicted of breaking the rules then they should pay dearly for their attitude, however saying that non enforcement by the police add to the poor standards.

Just look at the idiots and yes i mean idiots and not only tourists who push their luck on motor cycles here driving without crash helmets , 3 up and alcohol taken. DEATHS waiting to happen, but sadly inncocent peoples deaths in many cases. Selfishness and arrogance need to be controlled

There's only one rule when driving in Bangkok - He who dares, wins.

One rule...... Yes..... Me first! You no hit me!

I’ve also learnt in LOS don’t make eye contact, this seems to give some indication to all others on the road that you are being careful, and would not put yourself in danger of a collision! They will leave you in the dirt. Instead, I still try and observe all around though the magic of peripheral vision, still moving forward, hopping to give of the appearance being a, lose cannon.

There's only one rule when driving in Bangkok - He who dares, wins.

One rule...... Yes..... Me first! You no hit me!

I've also learnt in LOS don't make eye contact, this seems to give some indication to all others on the road that you are being careful, and would not put yourself in danger of a collision! They will leave you in the dirt. Instead, I still try and observe all around though the magic of peripheral vision, still moving forward, hopping to give of the appearance being a, lose cannon.

:)