Am I A Bad Driver?

TheJoker12

1uuftczyxz6vrzmakm.jpg

The example is for Sukhumwit Road.

When I am car V, depending on my distance from car X, I know that they will be turning into Sukhumwit road, therefore I am already prepared to reduce my speed and be aware of this.

That also seems to be the case for 90% of Thais.

10% of Thais, while driving car V seem to be of the opinion that:

A. Car X should never be turning into the middle lane

B. There is never any reason for them to believe that Car X will turn into the middle lane

Therefore they have no intention of ever reducing their speed which means they end up having to slam their brakes or change lanes to avoid an accident.

So who is right and who is wrong?

Should Car V be aware of Car X's choice of turning into the middle lane or should Car X make sure that no part of their vehicle ever veers into the middle lane?

My observation is that most Thai drivers turn into the middle lane fully or partially, therefore, I was previously under the impression that turning into the middle lane is in line with the rules of the road, but considering how often this results in Car V's unwillingness to slow down, perhaps I am wrong.

:):D

TheJoker12' date='2010-01-01 18:36:09' post='3237864']

I often here this claim, that the bigger or more expensive car does what they want but that HAS NOT been my actual road experience.

Just assume that Car X and V are identical.

On my first driving lesson , I was told I should assume I am the only good driver , assume all the rest were idiots and do their thinking for them , I was not aware the instructor had driven in Thailand in a previous life .

Subsequent to rule #1, there really is a rule #2: He who is bigger also wins.

Yup. Pedestrians are at the bottom of the "size does matter" food chain, buses and cement trucks at the top.

Yes, and I've been hit by both, already.

Still Alive in Thailand,

TT

Yup. Pedestrians are at the bottom of the "size does matter" food chain, buses and cement trucks at the top.

:D

When I lived in Aus in the 70s, I used to drive semi-trailers. I always had right of way then! :)

I've driven in a few countries (USA, New Zealand, France, Italy, Germany, Thailand) and regularly drive in London. My take is that whatever the local bye-laws, right of way rules etc. you need to drive with the awareness of any potential collisions and assume that other drivers WILL do the most dangerous thing possible. So when aware of another vehicle that could arrive in your lane at a slower speed than you, do what is needed to avoid it. Always check what's around you in both wing mirrors, be aware of an escape move into another lane, be prepared to slow down or speed up to create the gap you need to maintain between your vehicle and all the other road users. This awareness is difficult to maintain but, with practice, can mean you are ready to react when something happens.

Never rely on the rules of the road, only on your own driving skills.

In the situation in your diagram, if I had enough time, I would check right wing mirror, move into lane three (outside lane) quick 'toot' on the horn, and being Thailand quick flash of the lights, stick my foot down and get past them. Assuming lane three had traffic, slow down to allow them into my lane.

I still drive somewhat like I was in US. Still nice to the other cars and yield when they are in the right, except when it is a taxi. I behave exactly like they do when they are driving, which mean no respect for other drivers.

The only rule is there are no rules. Drive to survive. You can toss out everything you ever learned about rights and regulation in Thai traffic. Once you understand the system then it seems to work okay. It doesn't hurt to glue a 6 inch thick rubber strap around your vehicle to ward off others who like to play bumper-cars. If you ride a motorcycle then just make sure your life insurance is paid up.

I am not sure about Thailand but it is against the law in Canada for car X to turn into the middle lane. If you take into consideration that the car might turn into the middle lane then you are a good defensive driver. My TGF pulled infront of a car like your example and asked what she was doing ?>she said that the guy behind us will just have to slow down. :)

I behave exactly like they do when they are driving...

Actually, I think this is what is required if you want the greatest chance of getting through without an accident.

Speaking of accidents, as I walk around Bangkok I rarely ever see a car with a significant dent. Are there few fender-benders here?

Thing is, with the small lanes in Thailand, it is risky to turn into the left lane under the assumption that no part of your vehicle will enter the middle lane. if you stand on the bts platform and watch traffic, you will see how often the car turning into the left lane crosses the line into the middle lane.

Edited by TheJoker12

Thing is, with the small lanes in Thailand, it is risky to turn into the left lane under the assumption that no part of your vehicle will enter the middle lane. if you stand on the bts platform and watch traffic, you will see how often the car turning into the left lane crosses the line into the middle lane.

Not strictly true

1. you have sheer lazyness to turn the wheel

2 Pick Ups have appalling turning circles

Rubbish, it's just 'cos they don't turn the steering wheel far enough and don't care that they swing out into the middle lane.

Upcountry, lane markings mean nothing. It's whoever gets to that spot first, owns it.

Case in point: We have a 5 lane, 2 km. road which leads through our town: 4 lanes for traffic in two directions, and the middle is painted like a "no going here, it's the median" lane. If they want to pass, they will not only use the "no go" lane, but will cross over into the 4th and 5th lanes of oncoming traffic to accomplish their quest! The oncoming traffic just scatters to the shoulders if the aggressor is bigger. This is all at quite high speeds (80kph +) through a heavy business district crowded with students on motorbikes. And yes, we average one death a month (usually a high school or university student).

There's a police station at each end of this raceway, but not once in seven years have I seen a policeman enforcing any traffic safety. (Except for the predictable twice-a-month-no-helmet-fine fleecing of the students).

It's crazy.

Edited by toptuan

The only rule is there are no rules. Drive to survive. You can toss out everything you ever learned about rights and regulation in Thai traffic. Once you understand the system then it seems to work okay. It doesn't hurt to glue a 6 inch thick rubber strap around your vehicle to ward off others who like to play bumper-cars. If you ride a motorcycle then just make sure your life insurance is paid up.

Have you actually seen how little there is to getting a Thai driving licence….I was shocked !

The driving school took my friend to the enormous car park of an empty sports complex for every lesson ( everyone learns there - driving schools and husbands teaching their wives ) and all the maneuvers are learnt there. There was no practical experience on the open road whatsoever.

After that the driving test was just one quick circuit around an area about half the size of a mini golf course which is at the back of the licence centre and that is it folks……….! Its no wonder driving standards are so bad here – they simply never get enough experience.