Studying Music Composition In Cm

Andreas84

Does anyone know of a good place in CM to learn/enhance skills in music composition? I am specifically thinking about learning to compose using modern computer software, such as midi programming in cubase, reason or whatever. It does not have to be a course, but in example private lessons with a teacher who is decent in English, have good musical understanding and is also up to date with this kind of computer software. It could be composition of “filmatic” and orchestral music, as well as more modern, groove-oriented music. I have some background in composition already, so I want to learn more about the use of various software, as well as enhancing my understanding of musical theory, rather than something for complete beginners.

Best off self-teaching me thinks. Have a look at Utube for composition and arrangement of the professionals using these programs. Also worth checking out the Propellerheads forum and perhaps downloading their 'how to' guides if you have Reason. Tweakheadz is also pretty good for general info, plus he has a forum. Probably better off with Reason as a newbie; Cubase is a bit more intense. Believe Reason can even import audio now and you can load it up with extra sounds.

Reason's a new one on me! I started with and Atari and C Lab Notator, on a computer with half a meg and no hard drive, and believe me, it still knocks spots of a modern PC with it's dedication to the midi time clock, so very accurate compared with what I have to use now. The serial port PCs were also much better than the USB only option available now :)

Good luck, at least here you have access to unlimited 'almost free' knock off music software at Pantip!!!

David

Best off self-teaching me thinks. Have a look at Utube for composition and arrangement of the professionals using these programs. Also worth checking out the Propellerheads forum and perhaps downloading their 'how to' guides if you have Reason. Tweakheadz is also pretty good for general info, plus he has a forum. Probably better off with Reason as a newbie; Cubase is a bit more intense. Believe Reason can even import audio now and you can load it up with extra sounds.

Yeah, probably good to play around a little bit on my own. I might not necessarily be looking for education in the conventional sense, but maybe I could find some westerners there familiar with those programs to teach me some things. Anyway, I will not be in Chiang Mai until the summer, but wanted to check if there were any such possibilities there. I will stay in CM quite a long time, a year or so, and the plan is to dedicate a lot of time to creative projects, that's why I am researching the different opportunities.