Internet problem

seahorse

I am having real problems connecting to the Internet. I keep getting disconnected. It doesn't seem to matter which ISP I use - I use Anet 300 baht per month unlimited mostly as I download files with KaZaa, but sometimes I use Loxinfo or Asianet. Sometimes I can be logged in for hours without any problem but sometimes, like this morning, I keep getting disconnected after a short period of time, as little as 5 seconds.

I suspect the problem is my telephone line, as it crackles a bit when I'm making a telephone call. Do you think this problem would be solved by getting a new landline? Or do you think that would just be a waste of money?

It can be your modem also. Try another modem, maybe you can borrow one from a friend. If you still get disconnected, it's propably the phone line. Insist that your telco must come and listen on the line, it can be a noisy phone line.

Phazey,

Haven't a clue how to. :o

The modem is a SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP. The operating system is Microsoft Windows ME 4.90.3000.

Neither came with the PC. I had a computer virus a few months ago and I took the PC to the local shop. He re-installed the operating system, albeit a different version, and also the modem. He also took out a RAM SIMM card which he said had stopped working. I thought that was a bit strange, all those things at the same time. I can't remember how much he charged, but it wasn't a lot. I didn't feel that I was being ripped off, anyway, and it's a reliable place.

I had a problem with disconnections before, but now that you mention it, I don't think it was anywhere near as bad with the previous modem.

NAh! its the phone company ripping you off, they charge you 2 or 3 baht for every dial you make, the longer you stay on line the more likely they will disconnect you, its not the internet provider, its the phone company i tell you, i knew those fool are up to no good  :o

Seahorse:

I cant tell what chipset your modem has, but maybe a setting here might help, alternativly, look here for a broader range. You can enter the string in your control panel/modems/properties and there is a tab called "advanced" where you can enter in "extra settings" (otoh)

I see two problems with your setup. You have a softmodem, and they are notoriously <deleted>. Try to upgrade to an external modem (usb or serial) next time. Your operating system also leave a lot to be desired - consider WinXP.

ALso check this thread as it contains some related information, and a possible explination why you are getting disconnected.

Hope this helps, and all the best.

./P

I suspect the problem is my telephone line, as it crackles a bit when I'm making a telephone call. Do you think this problem would be solved by getting a new landline? Or do you think that would just be a waste of money?

I've just re-read this section. Definatly knock your connection speed & protocol down.

If you pick up your phone handset, and press one number, the line will go quiet apart from the crackles - if it is too much then definatly look at getting new copper ran.

Some modems also include onboard diagnostics. These can be used to test the line and produce reports on what line quality/speeds you should exptect.. I doubt yours will, but no harm in looking thru the AT command set....

./P

have a look at this page also. http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Index.a....D=13399

and as phazy reckons  it is worth going with a new modem..as your    machine is a desktop think about getting an external.. and a serial one will save you a usb port... but both are cheap

and your operating system is definately not recommended

it is probably the go for you to get XP installed on your machine.. unless the processor is sub 1Ghz and you have less than 256meg of ram

hi guys'

sorry to give a stop to the big talking about connection  :cool:

George is 100% right, make you phone line checked!

it happened to me, so many time, even grounded that the phone line, is on a share main line, and noisy!

it's always possible to correct this  :o

just go to the phone office and ask  :D

I am having real problems connecting to the Internet. I keep getting disconnected. It doesn't seem to matter which ISP I use - I use Anet 300 baht per month unlimited mostly as I download files with KaZaa, but sometimes I use Loxinfo or Asianet. Sometimes I can be logged in for hours without any problem but sometimes, like this morning, I keep getting disconnected after a short period of time, as little as 5 seconds.

Hi,

I also had this probleme. The company said to me that they woud check. They've never showed up. So I changed my modem and it became a little better but still had the probleme.

Finally, I changed the wire from the outside connection to my house that cost me about 60 bahts for 20 meter wire and got it better. This part is not under the telephone company's responsability. The wires were less than 10 years old but smaller than the new ones and it occasionned some short-circuits.

I also had to change the small connection box in my house because it was to old and it definitly fixed the probleme. Not only it fixed it but now I've got a regular 49.2kps speed against 39 to 42 before.

Still, I sometimes get disconnected but it's really rare.

Good luck

Bruno

Guest IT Manager

2 questions spring to mind... Where are you located?, can you access an exteral modem. They usually work out a little better. As Phazey says, limit your nominal speed to 56 K may also help.

First thing is check the line noise.

It will be your phone line .My connection was ok for months then suddenly started dropping off like yours after minutes.I checked the phone line and it was cackling as was our neighbours so knew it wasnt the wires at our home.Got the phone engineer out who was an areshole who told me to move house if i wanted to connect to the internet.Wasnt having any of his bullshit ie you live to far from the exchange etc.. and he checked the area out and fixed it.The cheek of the man was unreal you pay your monthly phone rental charges etc., you want a phone line that doesnt cackle.

He went round the area with his men and fixed it and phoned me to say if i have any more problems to move house   .Yeah right.... :o

I had a crackly line at my place when i was in Pattaya i tried everything , blamed everyone, it was in fact just the outside connection box, cut back the wires get some bright copper showing, new box 60 baht, no more disconnections.

Clean connections inside and outside the house and make sure they are tight (everywhere, including extensions).  Make sure you have a good ground on your computer (mine without ground provided the local radio station on the phone line - did not help the thru-put).   :o