Bangkok University Any Good?

DegenFarang

edit: sorry for the formatting its this internet cafe computer I’m on...

While doing some Google Maps research I saw that Bangkok University is located fairly near my home. I haven't heard much about this University and have no idea if it is any good or not. Would like to hear some opinions about both how academically challenging the University is as well as how a masters degree in either Communication or Business Administration (MBA) would be received inside Thailand and outside.

Also are there many Westerners who attend there or is it mostly Thai’s? And of the Thais who go there are they mainly Isaan imports or Hiso Thais or ...? The reason I ask this is that the tuition is fairly inexpensive, by my calculations a two year MBA program would cost less than 5,000 USD.

Thanks for any input

Edited by bonobo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously I have read that kind of stuff online - the Wikipedia page and bu.ac.th have loads more information than that. However I'm after first hand experience or knowledge from a westerner's point of view - not what the brochure has to say about the school.

"DegenFarang" the mind truly wobbles at some of the mindless posts you’ve made about how to stay here “long term”?

Gave up on the "converting to Judaism" idea? :D Nixed the "getting a Latvian passport" harebrained scheme too huh? :D Decided going the 10M baht investment visa route wasn’t the best way to go? :D Attending a private thai language school so you could actually talk to thais just too much of a time investment? :D Have I left out any of the other cockamamie schemes you've cooked up in the past few weeks? :)

This may seem off the wall but here's a suggestion for you...

You mention the college is close to where you live. Why not just get off your ass and go visit the place yourself? You already said “all the thais I know can speak engrish”, so you’ve got nothing to worry about. You could even take one of those engrish speaking thais with you just in case a thai you don’t know, might speak hmmm; thai or some other language. :D

Then you can come back, post the first hand info you’re lookin’ for and we can read about it. :D

BTW: <deleted> is up with the screwy font in your posts? :DJust figured out how to change it when posting?

This has nothing to do with getting a visa - I'm good in that department for at least another 9 months. I have been researching grad schools since I finished university in 2004 (even started one program at USC in 2008 but had to withdraw). I'm not doing much of anything in Thailand right now and I love looking at University girls running around in skirts, and generally like the college lifestyle, so if I can find and get into a respectable grad program in Thailand I'm going to do it. Just applied to Sasin at Chula today, not sure how selective they are though so I need a good backup option if one exists.

Any thoughts from anybody on Bangkok University? I visited the campus today. Some nice buildings, no shortage of tiny black skirts and saw a few respectable looking younger Farang attending classes, so it seems at least somewhat decent so far. Would like to hear some more info though - particularly from anybody who went there. I'd probably go for the MBA, possibly Communication Arts MA program.

There are so many inconsistencies and contradictions in the OP's postings regarding his status that I'm getting more and more confused, or maybe cynical. :)

I'm considering renouncing my US citizenship at some point. To do that I would need to have a passport from another nation, preferably one that afforded me similar privileges to travel the world as my US passport does. I would be willing to convert to Judaism in order to obtain an Israeli passport, as I currently have no religious beliefs whatsoever and I am of the opinion that being a religious person is a good thing for ones character, social life and especially for your children, regardless of the religion (moderate muslim, christian, catholic, jewish, buddhist etc, mainstream). Alternately I would be willing to pay to obtain a passport from another nation - so long as it met my travel requirements - an EU member nation (like Latvia) would be excellent. I'd love to live in Europe - the last two times I was there the only reason I left was because my 90 day visa expired (actually overstayed both times).

On top of the above I would like to attend graduate school.

I would also like to find a way to stay in Thailand for as long as I want without having to worry about my next visa extension going wrong or leaving the country, as I hate to fly. Thus, I have been asking a lot of questions about various methods to do this in the Visa section.

Please tell me what is inconsistent or contradictory about any of that. Or what else I have said that has made you think my statements are inconsistent or contradictory.

Too funny, going to renounce my citizenship, get religion, move to eastern europe lol

I've never been to Eastern Europe and doubt I would ever go there for more than a quick holiday. If you are a citizen of one EU country you can live in any of them - just like the US states. I'd probably live in Italy or France.

Just got this back from Sasin, guess they don't think I'm a clown:

Dear Mr. xx xx xx

Thank you for your first stage application to the Sasin MBA Program. We have reviewed your initial application and we strongly urge you to complete the second stage application, which is attached to this email and can also be downloaded from: http://www.sasin.edu/programs/mba/pdf/mba.2ndstage.pdf.

Wakes up, yawns, stretches and says, 'I think I'll be Jewish today, no wait, it's Monday so I must be Hindu'.

I never knew religion could be so easy.

Edited by GarryP

Wow Chula campus is amazing. But what's with all the long skirts? More like ankle length oversized dresses actually. Maybe 15% of girls have on the correct attire. It was 100% at Bangkok University.

Go to Bangkok University. It will be cheaper and the skirts are shorter. Of course the school has a very poor reputation in the academic community and the degree won't be worth the paper it's written on. But since you are mostly going for the short skirts I think it would be perfect.

Chulalongkorn University is arguably the most prestigious school in Thailand. Obviously Thammasat, Mahidol, and KMUTT are up there as well. Chula has a long tradition of academic excellence (relative to most other Thai universities). Because of the relatively high standards the skirts will be somewhat longer in general. The students are proud to be there and they want to portray this in the community. Don't worry though, there will still be short skirts there if that is where you eventually go.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

There are so many inconsistencies and contradictions in the OP's postings regarding his status that I'm getting more and more confused, or maybe cynical. :)

I'm considering renouncing my US citizenship at some point. To do that I would need to have a passport from another nation, preferably one that afforded me similar privileges to travel the world as my US passport does. I would be willing to convert to Judaism in order to obtain an Israeli passport, as I currently have no religious beliefs whatsoever and I am of the opinion that being a religious person is a good thing for ones character, social life and especially for your children, regardless of the religion (moderate muslim, christian, catholic, jewish, buddhist etc, mainstream). Alternately I would be willing to pay to obtain a passport from another nation - so long as it met my travel requirements - an EU member nation (like Latvia) would be excellent. I'd love to live in Europe - the last two times I was there the only reason I left was because my 90 day visa expired (actually overstayed both times).

I would also like to find a way to stay in Thailand for as long as I want without having to worry about my next visa extension going wrong or leaving the country, as I hate to fly. Thus, I have been asking a lot of questions about various methods to do this in the Visa section.

Please tell me what is inconsistent or contradictory about any of that. Or what else I have said that has made you think my statements are inconsistent or contradictory.

You are right You can convert to Muslim and get a Yemen passport.

Wow Chula campus is amazing. But what's with all the long skirts? More like ankle length oversized dresses actually. Maybe 15% of girls have on the correct attire. It was 100% at Bangkok University.

Go to Bangkok University. It will be cheaper and the skirts are shorter. Of course the school has a very poor reputation in the academic community and the degree won't be worth the paper it's written on. But since you are mostly going for the short skirts I think it would be perfect.

Chulalongkorn University is arguably the most prestigious school in Thailand. Obviously Thammasat, Mahidol, and KMUTT are up there as well. Chula has a long tradition of academic excellence (relative to most other Thai universities). Because of the relatively high standards the skirts will be somewhat longer in general. The students are proud to be there and they want to portray this in the community. Don't worry though, there will still be short skirts there if that is where you eventually go.

Thanks. I wasn't aware Bangkok University had a poor reputation. I guess that explains why it is so cheap.

You are right You can convert to Muslim and get a Yemen passport.

I wouldn't be able to travel to very many countries with a passport from Yemen though, so that would defeat the purpose. I certainly don't want to live there - probably the next country the US goes to war with.

The OP getting slammed because most people do not think getting an education or doing something other than milking cows in Isaan or living in the bars is acceptable.

Regardless of his previous posts, this lad seems quite harmless and has a desire to live in Thailand and find a way to his means

There is way to much slamming and negativity going on

Why bother post if you have nothing to say and cannot help him out?

Each one of you, when you have your own questions, wants truthful and respectful answers yet the rules are different for everyone else but you?

I give the kid credit for having creativity, he could just give up like most expats, drown himself in a case of beer everyday and become bitter and hateful towards other expats

Its 2010 and for some of you here, time to turn a new leaf

If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything

The world is noisy enough as it is

:):D Nio thanks for finally saying what we all (aught) to say - well if not shutting the fuc_k up or alternatively actually answering to the OP's post.

now to add a bit more let me just say that there may be even better choices out there such as:

TU (thammasat), KU (kasetsart) or even UTCC (supposedly hottest would be movie stars and/or air crew females - where the 2 latter is situated northernly toward BU for beating traffic;)

cheers!

If you take an MS program at one of the Unis in Thailand you have a 5 year limit to complete the program.

I'm with ABAC, the Assumption University.

www.au.edu

A two year MBA program (you can stretch it up to 5 years) here will set you back 6 000 USD the tuition and you have to pay University fees - 12,500 THB per semester on top of that.

I cannot remember exactly how many units of credit you gotta get to have your MBA degree but it will be somewhere around 36.

One subject (one semester, 4 months) = 3 credits.

If you wish to skip a semester it'll cost ya 5 000 THB.

Most MS, MA programs are taught at the Bangkapi campus in BKK; there is another newly built campus in Bangna where u will probably find a lot more skimpy skirts, but there are mostly BSs and BAs down there.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Edited by cyberia

ABAC is rapidly gaining a reputation that makes Rajapat and Bangkok University look good. A lot of Chinese students are switching from ABAC to Ramkhamhaeng and others due to the poor quality of teachers and distance from Bangkok. Money seems to be the primary aim for ABAC. Why do I know? I used to teach there and many more experienced teachers are being let go or leaving so they can hire recent graduates for less money. Many of the younger teachers have no outside experience other than studying and reading the books. If you have a 3.8 GPA or higher, you can teach but do you know anything other than studying? Some go straight from their bachelor degree to Masters and then to PhD without any work experience outside of teaching. PhD in ABAC means "piled higher and deeper" if you understand US slang.

Edited by puyaidon

The OP getting slammed because <SNIP>

One only needs read his oh-so many posts to know his mind-set. It should be apparent even if you’re not a native engrish speaker and can’t ‘read between the lines’.

Nio thanks for finally saying what we all (aught) to say <SNIP>

Perhaps the word you actually mean is "ought" as in indicating what 'someone should do/say'. .. However, be that as it may..

The O/P previously admitted to being on an ED visa (yet has also stated he does not study thai). Quite the conundrum wouldn't you agree? You figure it out from there… :D

The interest in uni gurls is not uncommon for a young man, so he cannot be faulted on that fixation alone. However putting that interest ABOVE finding a quality school to continue education can and should be called into question. He’d do better finding an apartment up on Soi 71 near Ramkhamhaeng University and just eating in the uni cafeteria to socialize. Conversely he could move down near Siam Square and socialize with the hi-so Chula gurls if they are more in line with his penchants. :D

Sorry but who appointed either 'worldfun' or 'Nio' as the defacto politically correct posting monitors on here? Was there a secret ballot vote? If so I missed it. :)

Thankfully some posters have pointed out different uni's and ways to secure a degree in thailand as well as the coveted ED visa, which is what the O/P seems to want after all. I did hear KhaoSan Road had degrees on sale this week :D. I think right now it's buy one degree, get another degree abso-tively posi-lutely FREE. Dunno about the ED visa though... :D

Uhh forgive my cynicism, but when I selected one of my grad schools it was because I wanted to do my research in a field of health studies under this one prof. Girls skirts were not a factor. Most students pick a school based upon what they want to do. If the intent is to address visa rules or find the campus that offers the girls with the biggest breasts or boys that swing both ways, then really, any "school" will do. This is a silly thread.

Tod,

you are a buffalo. I already said it has nothing to do with my visa-if it did do you think I would have Chula as my first choice? It's 800% more expensive than "similar" programs at other schools. I also believe you must complete it in 2 years and cannot stretch it to 5 like the others. If I wanted a visa there would be far mire efficient methods.

All,

I was half-joking about the skirts. Obviously that is not why I will be attending, nor will the average length or attractiveness of girls dictate where I go. However any heterosexual male who has ever seen a pack of Thai uni girls must admit, it's a nice perk...

And living near and eating at a uni seems like a very creepy way to pick up girls, and will likely only land you sluts, gold diggers and farang hunters. Being an MBA student at the university, especially in the case of Chula, is going to open you up to a whole higher class of women most of you haters could only dream of getting i.e. the daughters of the Thai elite (who mostly attend Chula if they don't go overseas - and will likely ignore some random weird farang who likes to hangout and eat on campus, but does not go to school there)

Edited by DegenFarang

To the Op,

From what you have written you seem ideally suited to a Masters Course at Ramkhamhaeng University. The course is generally spread over 2 years and tuition fees are incredibly reasonable. There is no particular reason to actually attend the University at all and lectures take place (for those who are actually interested) on Saturday and Sundays (which admittedly might conflict with prior arrangements on Friday night.)

Their courses are by far the most popular in Thailand.

I would avoid Chula and Tham, as I fear you might get bullied.

Sorry, I don't see the difference between enrolling to meet girls and just going to where they hang out, be it a cafeteria, Siam Square or shopping mall. Its like you are set on buying construction equipment to fix a leaky faucet.

One difference could those late night study sessions with fellow classmates???

There are so many inconsistencies and contradictions in the OP's postings regarding his status that I'm getting more and more confused, or maybe cynical. :D

I hear Israeli passports go down a storm in the Muslim world :)

You really are a dreamer :D

But because I'm a nice guy I'm going to help you out:

www.inter.mua.go.th

http://www.inter.mua.go.th/main2/list.php?id=pu02

RAZZ