Want To Buy A 2 Person Sailing Dinghy

Living in Thailand i am missing sailing more and more, so have decide to buy a sailing dinghy. But before I rush to import one I wouldlike to see if any are for sale here in Thailand. I will consider new or used. Prefer mono hull. Thank you in advance for help with this.

easy enough to buy locally; not sure what sort of boat you have in mind.

A nice classic cruising daysailor 16 feet long with an outboard; ideal for cruising around, could take more people, can be trailered and driven around? I know an as new one for about 280,000b on a trailer; lovely boat.

A racing cat like a Hobie 16? Plenty of them around places like Varuna; you can PM me as some friends of mine are sailors here in Thailand.

If you are wanting a monohull racing dinghy, then you mean something like a 420 or a 49er or a what?

Most of the mono hulls are lasers, optis and 420s that I've seen.

Bit more info on what you plan to use it for would be good.....

thanks steveromagnino for your interets and reply.

I was hoping for something like a flying junior something easy to sail I am 61 and have sailed only keelboats till now I saw a cal 20 forsale in thailand but couldnot figure out where to moor it so decided on dinghy instead.

Hobie cats donot interest me at the moment. I find they have a tendency to stall in tacks or maybe its me not understanding mullihull skippering.

420 and 49 is just to technical for me my sailing has been on cal20, thunderbirds,mini12s for racing one design and ranger26 and catalina 27 for cruising, .

The trailering classic 16 footer sounds interesting, just towing it in Thailand could be a chore not sure if I wish to attemt that at this moment.

What do you think of optis in my club we use them for junior training thats about all. But being 61 now maybe that is all I can handle ha ha ha.

All that said I am open to advice and help in any form so thank you again.

Edited by lovelomsak

where are you based?

The boat I know of that is 16 feet could be a nice cruiser for you. It looks like this one here:

http://www.andamanboatyard.com/img-boats-a...ss16-ft-03b.jpg

so has the ability you can sail yourself, but also can take others out as well perhaps. Not as tippy as a dinghy, with a motor if you wanted on the stern.

As far as I know this is 280,000 b and is stored at Ocean Marina in Pattaya.

You can park boats in Ocean Marina very easily, but there is a cost each month. this boat could be launched in other places also. The catalina for sale I think is in the bang pakong river?

Another option is to find some cruising sailors and sail with them from time to time.

If you are in Bangkok you can sail for free at the Nong Bon sailing centre.

Nothing wrong with optis, at Nong Bon they have a slightly bigger boat called a walker bay, but personally I raced optis so I find them easy enough to sail now, even though I am 170lbs :_)

I would think a racing boat is not so good an idea. This classic 16 footer is not bad, you could also use as a motor tender to go fishing etc as well if you wanted. Very pretty boat.

Edited by steveromagnino

Thanks again steveromagnino.

I looked at all the info you gave and now I think I will look for a walker bay.I am in Petchebun province andwant something i can carry in my nissan piakup the walker bay sounds ideal. I will go to Bangkok and go to Nong Bon and see if they can tell me where to purchase one. I cannot find anything online as to where I might buy one.

The 16 footer looks good but I wish to stay away from trailers if possible

Thanks again and maybe I will see you on the water someday.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

thanks steveromagnino for your interets and reply.

I was hoping for something like a flying junior something easy to sail I am 61 and have sailed only keelboats till now I saw a cal 20 forsale in thailand but couldnot figure out where to moor it so decided on dinghy instead.

Hobie cats donot interest me at the moment. I find they have a tendency to stall in tacks or maybe its me not understanding mullihull skippering.

420 and 49 is just to technical for me my sailing has been on cal20, thunderbirds,mini12s for racing one design and ranger26 and catalina 27 for cruising, .

The trailering classic 16 footer sounds interesting, just towing it in Thailand could be a chore not sure if I wish to attemt that at this moment.

What do you think of optis in my club we use them for junior training thats about all. But being 61 now maybe that is all I can handle ha ha ha.

All that said I am open to advice and help in any form so thank you again.

Dear Lovelomsak:

You wrote (some time ago) that you saw a CAL-20 for sale in Thailand, right ?

Could you PLEASE let me know where that was, because I am desperately looking for one of them; had 2 CAL-20's in Vancouver but now living in Hua-Hin.

You would do me a very great favor.

Thanks in advance for your time & trouble

Jaap Klasema

081 847 35 76

[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...