I Am Divorced And Want To Marry Thai Girlfriend

telldem

Hello everyone. I'm a U.S citizen, divorced going on 5 years now and want to marry my Thai girlfriend in Bangkok, Thailand next week. I don't have my divorce papers with me. My question is, when filling out the pre-marriage affidavit at the U.S. Embassy, can I say that I am single and not divorced? A friend told me that they just take your word for it and never check. Will it pose a problem in the future if I want to bring my new wife back to the States? Thanks for your replies.

Edited by telldem

Found this which might help.

I am a USA citizen, divorced in USA.

I went to USA embassy and got an "Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry" or some such nomenclature. I took a copy of a divorce decree with me, but the US Citizen Services did not ask to see it. Really, you are filling out a form, and the embassy is notarizing your signature. This took about one hour at the embassy.

Took this to a translation place on Wittayu Road. He translated the paper, got copies of my passport, wife's ID card, her divorce paper. He, or his courier, took all of this to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Chiang Wattana. A couple of days later he called me, he had the "permission to marry" paper at his office.

We then took the "permission to marry" paper, along with all of the aforementioned papers, to the "marriage place" at Bangrak. About 1.5 hours there, we are legally married. You can go to any Amphur to do this, once you have the permission to marry paper from MFA. We just walked in, no appointment, not much of a wait.

Please reconsider your pending marriage for a while. There is no rush. Don't let her pressure you. We all just can't wait to fall in love with the first skirt that gives us a boyfriend kiss. Go slow, take your time. Stay together for five years and then marry her,he is still around. Thailand and Thai marriage is not for everyone. Failure rate high as the USA and just as expensive to end. I am on year five with my unmarried Thai wife and all is well. Remember one quote from a friend. "Honey, I not your girlfriend anymore, I your wife" You can add your own interpretation of that.

good luck and drive slooow

bella

I had same experience as nam-thip. Just fill out the affadavit at the US embassy (you don't need any document or verification), get it chopped by them. Take it to one of the nearby translation shops, takes about one hour. The biggest hassle is the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and it is not much of a hassle, just take a number and wait for their chopping off and their form. Then off to the amphur office for the civil marriage.

Please reconsider your pending marriage for a while. There is no rush. Don't let her pressure you. We all just can't wait to fall in love with the first skirt that gives us a boyfriend kiss. Go slow, take your time. Stay together for five years and then marry her,he is still around. Thailand and Thai marriage is not for everyone. Failure rate high as the USA and just as expensive to end. I am on year five with my unmarried Thai wife and all is well. Remember one quote from a friend. "Honey, I not your girlfriend anymore, I your wife" You can add your own interpretation of that.

bella

And you're qualified to give this advice because..... Let people live their own lives and make their own decisions. The OP didn't ask for counselling on marriage....

I have lived here for 3 years now. It is beyond me why anyone would want to get married here. I just don't get it. It is a loose loose situation set up buy the government.

But good luck if you decide to marry.

I have lived here for 3 years now. It is beyond me why anyone would want to get married here. I just don't get it. It is a loose loose situation set up buy the government.

+1. OP should just go thru the Buddhist ceremony like a lot of Thais do, and forget the legal paperwork. Not worth the risk.

+1. OP should just go thru the Buddhist ceremony like a lot of Thais do, and forget the legal paperwork. Not worth the risk.

"Loose situation?"

Did you mean LOSE situation?

For some people getting married is about their best chance of residing here without the rigmarole of leaving every 60 days.

As is the case with me. I have a 1 year visa and don't have to leave the country, just report every 90 days.

If I wasn't legally married there would be no chance of that and it would be of great expense to keep going out and staying in another country for a night or 2.

This isn't the only reason I married for I love my wife dearly. BUT, it does make life a lot easier, especially when you're under 40 years old....

bella

I think this is pretty good advice .... at least to me. I laugh at the number of times thai (good ladies) have tried to pressure me into marriage and often before the second date ...(first date being a dinner with her gf in attendance). BUT really the "Honey, I not your girlfriend anymore, I your wife" is priceless. I am amazed at how easily and quickly ... white becomes black .... day becomes night .... no becomes yes ... never becomes often ... in thailand. So as Bella suggests .... do what you want ... good luck ... drive slooow .... :)

I'm a U.S citizen, divorced going on 5 years now ... can I say that I am single and not divorced?

18 U.S.C. § 1001. Statements or entries generally

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the
executive
(State Department), legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully--

(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;

(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or

(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry...

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years ....

Marriage advice aside, have someone from the USA mail to you the Divorce papers.

I'm a U.S citizen, divorced going on 5 years now ... can I say that I am single and not divorced?

18 U.S.C. § 1001. Statements or entries generally

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the
executive
(State Department), legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully--

(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;

(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or

(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry...

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years ....

Marriage advice aside, have someone from the USA mail to you the Divorce papers.

You are devoiced for ever, period. The US Embassy/Consulate will not ask you for devoice papers. What you put down on this request is legally binding. If you lie the marriage is not legal. The only party that could request an original devoice certificate is the Amphur, that is Thai Law.

I think getlost is right. Do not make a false statement. The problem might be with the amphur, who could ask to see the divorce papers.

You can however get married at any amphur, so maybe other members have experience with where they don't ask for the divorce papers.

I've been with my girlfriend for a year and this is my 5th trip to Thailand during the past year. I planned to get married on this trip, but misplaced my divorce papers..... Don't want to break any laws and lie about being divorced, so I guess I'll wait until my next trip to get married. Thanks!

I've been with my girlfriend for a year and this is my 5th trip to Thailand during the past year. I planned to get married on this trip, but misplaced my divorce papers..... Don't want to break any laws and lie about being divorced, so I guess I'll wait until my next trip to get married. Thanks!

Don't ignore the advice ^^ no matter how much you wnat to..

Have you " been with " the Girl for a Year or have you had 5 trips to see the Girl in a Year ??

There's a BIG difference..

Have you " been with " the Girl for a Year or have you had 5 trips to see the Girl in a Year ??

5 trips to see her in a year. We've known each other for one year. She's a good girl and I'm very much in love with her. When I'm in the states, she calls me everyday on the phone only to tell me that she loves me, not for money. In fact , she wants me to live with her in Thailand and she tells me all the time that she can support me finacially if I do live with her here. Thailand is a very nice place and all, but I would rather live in the states until my kids are grown before I retire in Thailand. I'm only 40 yrs old. I'm giving her parents bt300,000 sin sod ( she told me, I didn't have too, but she does so much for them, I thought that amount was fair)and moving her to US for the next 10 years, then retire in Thailand.

5 trips to see her in a year. We've known each other for one year. She's a good girl and I'm very much in love with her. When I'm in the states, she calls me everyday on the phone only to tell me that she loves me, not for money. In fact , she wants me to live with her in Thailand and she tells me all the time that she can support me finacially if I do live with her here. Thailand is a very nice place and all, but I would rather live in the states until my kids are grown before I retire in Thailand. I'm only 40 yrs old. I'm giving her parents bt300,000 sin sod ( she told me, I didn't have too, but she does so much for them, I thought that amount was fair)and moving her to US for the next 10 years, then retire in Thailand.

Well, that changes the situation doesn't it? As we used to say in Australia - "Come in Spinner!"

For bt300,000 sin sod she has to be yang, beautiful virgin with college degree and no kids. Go slow, take your time and stay together for at least three years. I know you wont listen so good luck to you and your girlfriend. Happy new year.

I'm giving her parents bt300,000 sin sod ( she told me, I didn't have too, but she does so much for them, I thought that amount was fair)

As they say, "A sucker gets off the plane every hour". I recommend you do your research. I don't know any Thai middle class couples that paid more than B150,000. And, they got it back after the ceremony. Well, if you can toss away your savings to people who want nothing, please throw some over this way. :)

The OP came to this forum to ask for advice on how he should file his statement with the US Embassy in Bangkok and I and others including Kuhn Mario gave their opinions: Starting off a marriage by committing a Federal offense is not a good thing. Thereafter, he received a lot of unsolicited advice on the marriage itself none of which was too surprising.

I would have this comment: He makes a good point that he is depriving his wife-to-be's parents of their daughter's company for 10 or more years while the couple lives in the USA thus the sin sod largess ... OK. He should tell the family that his sinsod gift is contingent upon his receiving all the proper visas from the US Embassy in Bangkok and after he and his wife are properly ensconced in the USA which in and of itself is no sure thing.

telldem - good luck with your marriage; I am in a similar situation having been divorced in 1993 - I considered making a false declaration but then thought one day it could all backfire on me, so for me I've decided to apply for new papers to confirm this and have them sent here rather than the expense of a trip back to NZ. Best wishes . . . and just ignore the doomsayers here!

The affidavit you sign and the consulate notarizes does not require you have the divorce papers. The OP can sign that and even if he does not have his divorce papers. There is a requirement to provide proof that prior marriages have been terminated to the Ampur. The OP will need his divorce papers.

TH

Edited by thaihome

telldem - good luck with your marriage; I am in a similar situation having been divorced in 1993 - I considered making a false declaration but then thought one day it could all backfire on me, so for me I've decided to apply for new papers to confirm this and have them sent here rather than the expense of a trip back to NZ. Best wishes . . . and just ignore the doomsayers here!

Not Doomsayers telldem, just realists...

But, then again, 99.9% of Relationships & Marraiges here aren't real anyway so, good luck to you...

I'm giving her parents bt300,000 sin sod ( she told me, I didn't have too, but she does so much for them, I thought that amount was fair)

As they say, "A sucker gets off the plane every hour". I recommend you do your research. I don't know any Thai middle class couples that paid more than B150,000. And, they got it back after the ceremony. Well, if you can toss away your savings to people who want nothing, please throw some over this way. :)

I'm not a sucker, just a fair person. Her family is poor and taking her away from them is going to be very traumatic to them. She takes very good care of them. She bought her father a new pick up truck 5 years ago and sends them Bt,5000 every month. The sin sod is fair compensation and is contingent on us getting married and her living with me in the US. I also did a thorough background check on her and she is clean and honest. (not married, not a prostitute and never worked in a bar) She has a basic Thai education and works very hard selling beauty products with an MLM company, which pays her very well. I am very happy with her. Cheers

I suspect you're wealthy, so doubt money's an issue in this. What I will say is, Thailand is a very complicated country - two years living there and I'm as clueless about the mind of a thai as I was when I first arrived. One year and 5 visits is....lamb to the slaughter time. All thais have complex family commitments that are impenetrable to farang and you, sir, will be at the very bottom of the pile.

You must understand something - for every success story, there's 50 complete disasters. And EVERYONE thinks their gal is different.

But it's up to you and good luck. But is there really a need for speed?

I'm not a sucker, just a fair person. Her family is poor and taking her away from them is going to be very traumatic to them. She takes very good care of them. She bought her father a new pick up truck 5 years ago and sends them Bt,5000 every month. The sin sod is fair compensation and is contingent on us getting married and her living with me in the US. I also did a thorough background check on her and she is clean and honest. (not married, not a prostitute and never worked in a bar) She has a basic Thai education and works very hard selling beauty products with an MLM company, which pays her very well. I am very happy with her. Cheers

I'm really not writing to put a dampner on this even if it seems i am but you are buying her from her Family, you do realise this don't you ??

Guccilittlepiggy's Post is something you should read a few times until it all sinks in...

Not Doomsayers telldem, just realists...

But, then again, 99.9% of Relationships & Marraiges here aren't real anyway so, good luck to you...

Wow! I must be the luckiest guy in Thailand being the only 00.1% falang.

22 years with Thailand being my base, married for 18 years (known here for 22 years, she was already married to a Thai who has since become a nodding to type of friend). When not working in Thailand my wife has joined me in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Qatar and LK.

I bet there are hundreds of other coupls who have made a success of marriage in Thailand. :)

you prolly just jea;ous you cant find a dark skin, farm girl, with a family who has trouble making ends meet, who had to give up school to make $s, yadda yadda yadda!

bella

I don't recall the OP asking whether or not he should get hitched ......

I think getlost is right. Do not make a false statement. The problem might be with the amphur, who could ask to see the divorce papers.

You can however get married at any amphur, so maybe other members have experience with where they don't ask for the divorce papers.

Correct dont make any false statements, and if needed just wait till all documents are done.