Bangkok Skytrain Extensions Due To Start This Year

webfact

Skytrain extensions due to start this year: Governor

By Jeerawan Prasomsap,

Mayuree Sukyingcharoenwong,

Wannapa Kaopa

The Nation

Published on January 5, 2010

Bangkokians will be able to travel faster this year, as two extensions of the Skytrain and rapid bus service will be available for commuters, Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said recently.

Sukhumbhand said he would also hurry to merge Chatuchak with Rot Fai and Queen Sirikit public parks this year, to a total area of more than 700 rai. He made the remarks during a recent interview with Nation Multimedia Group reporters.

The park project is part of the governor's policy to focus on the environment this year. It is expected to be completed by the end of next year (2011) to celebrate His Majesty the King's 84th birthday.

"The two extensions of the BTS (Bangkok Mass Transit System), which are Onnuj-Bearing and Wongwian Yai-Bangwa will be available early this year while BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) will be available from May 15," the governor said.

Sukhumbhand also spoke about projects he was able to complete last year, as promised when he stood as a candidate in the city election. He had vowed to develop the economy, boost public health, public transport and education.

He said the city budget of Bt3.5 billion went on projects which could help boost the number of jobs and stimulate the economy, such as building flood-prevention walls and cleaning drains.

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) helped its staff by collaborating with banks to launch the Ban Yim (Smiling Home) project worth Bt7 billion, so staff can borrow funds to build or repair their homes. One in six workers or 10,000 staff joined the project.

The BMA also cooperated with banks to help ease burdens for Bangkokians via loan projects for operating small businesses and pay back debts to loan sharks. Some Bt1.6 billion in loans were provided to 40,000 residents and managing home debts. About 1,000 people joined the project.

The governor said he would continue the three loan projects this year if the banks would collaborate with the BMA.

"Last year, I did so many projects to improve medicine, public health and education. The health-related projects included free check-ups, providing 200 patient beds to each of nine BMA hospitals, plans for constructing Bang Khunthien hospital as elderly medicine centre," he said.

"The educational projects were free compulsory education, parent and childhood student-teacher training, the electronic Distance Learning Television and special teaching for autistic students."

Sukhumbhand revealed he also faced many problems last year that intervened in his work.There was also a rumour he had conflicts with colleagues in the Democrat Party.

"Actually, I don't have any conflicts with the party. Some people think I am not supported by the government [led by Democrat leader Abhisit] because I criticised them. It's not true.

"Even wife and husband can criticise each other, so why can't I [be critical]? The party needs to support me because I'm a member and the popularity of the party in Bangkok depends on how I perform.

"This is not a matter of conflicts but there was only one person who spread this rumour.

"We have problems with the scandal in the BRT project, however the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) has already allowed us to continue the project. We'll probably rent buses to operate the service, and the DSI will inspect the purchase.

"I'm trying to get back the responsibility for constructing the Bearing-Paknam and Mo Chit-Saphan Mai Skytrain extension routes from the Transport Ministry after the Somchai Wongsawat government passed a Cabinet resolution [in late 2008] allowing the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand to oversee these projects instead of the BMA."

After the corruption scandal in the purchase of fire-vehicles, Sukhumbhand said he was considering whether the BMA should hire the fire trucks in order to make use of them as soon as possible.

He said they needed to consider the matter carefully as legal action by the BMA or the supplier, Steyr Daimler Puch, and a court ruling could affect the rental rate for the vehicles.

-----------------

Projects the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is expected to complete this year:

Extending the Skytrain on two routes: Onnuj-Bearing and Wongwian Yai-Bangwa;

Developing the Bus Rapid Transit service;

Constructing a dam to prevent the Chao Phya River from flooding.

Building a new drainage system on Srinakarin Road.

Developing the Sanamchai-Mahachai "monkey-cheek" project.

Source: Bangkok Metropolitan Administration

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-05

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Read it quick but did not see any mention of the On Nut extension not opened because they did not order the signals, might be nice to see that open before they start something else

The two extensions of the BTS (Bangkok Mass Transit System), which are Onnuj-Bearing and Wongwian Yai-Bangwa will be available early this year while BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) will be available from May 15," the governor said

Anyways, what about the extra rolling stock to accom the extra passengers?

Good news, almost too good to be true. I wonder what the definition of available is, however. If it's the same as the airport extension, where they run it on trial for a couple of days and then stop it again, then this won't be a whole heap of progress. Still good luck to them.

Read it quick but did not see any mention of the On Nut extension not opened because they did not order the signals, might be nice to see that open before they start something else

The two extensions of the BTS (Bangkok Mass Transit System), which are Onnuj-Bearing and Wongwian Yai-Bangwa will be available early this year while BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) will be available from May 15," the governor said

Anyways, what about the extra rolling stock to accom the extra passengers?

Good point.

But I am sure they will squeeze the passengers in the old trains before introducing the the 4 coaches trains.

I also wonder how stations like Siam, Asoke and Vic. Monument can accommodate additional passengers.

During rush hour it's already overcrowded and it's getting really scary on the platforms.

Can't see anymore people fitting in.

They did not order the signals because the person now responsible for this project does not want to sign off due to his fears that what was done before would then involve him. Obviously, he thinks there was corruption involved in this BTS project by the previous government and doesn't want to end up like Apirak, who inherited the firetruck scandal.

Admirably, Sukhumphand appears to be willing to step in and sign off on it and let the cards fall where they may.

Would be nice if they had one out to the south bus station :)

It would. But that isn't going to happen for a long time. Next line that starts construction this month will be the MRT Purple line from Bang Sue to Bang Yai.

Would be nice if they had one out to the Northern & North Eastern bus station.

And before anyone yells "there is a Mo Chit station on both the BTS and MRT!" let me submit that while these stations are named that, they don't actually connect to within reasonable walking distance to the actual bus station.

How silly is that.. have mass transit, nay, TWO mass transit links and manage to make both miss the biggest bus transportation hub in the capital by 2-3 miles?

If anyone doubts that, this is how you get from Mo Chit BTS to Mo Chit Bus Terminal:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...077162&z=14

:D (Ok, when walking it's less than 2-3 miles, then it's only 1.6 miles. Still, that's a serious half hour hike in Bangkok's heat, with luggage.)

A skytrain line that went out from pinklao - southern bus station - mahidol university/phuttamonthon park, would be epic

It would. But that isn't going to happen for a long time. Next line that starts construction this month will be the MRT Purple line from Bang Sue to Bang Yai.

Well, they ARE building something out there alongside the train tracks, down to Tops Chaiyapruk and up to the courthouse in Talingchan. I asked the workers and they said 'rot fai faa'

I don't expect it to be up and running this week, but this decade is probable. Let's be optimistic, eh!

A skytrain line that went out from pinklao - southern bus station - mahidol university/phuttamonthon park, would be epic

Well, they ARE building something out there alongside the train tracks, down to Tops Chaiyapruk and up to the courthouse in Talingchan. I asked the workers and they said 'rot fai faa'

I don't expect it to be up and running this week, but this decade is probable. Let's be optimistic, eh!

'rot fai faa' = electric car = skytrain (in this case). And 'rot' probably sounded more like 'loat' I'd wager.

Edited by ding

I cant believe that farang take buses in Thailand. :)

If you work here or live here permanently you start to do so if you don't have a car or motorbike. Especially if you have to get to your job its not economical to always use a taxi when a bus is a fraction of the cost. (i prefer my bike anyway)

I cant believe that farang take buses in Thailand. :)

If you work here or live here permanently you start to do so if you don't have a car or motorbike. Especially if you have to get to your job its not economical to always use a taxi when a bus is a fraction of the cost. (i prefer my bike anyway)

I work here and take busses all the time. At 7 or 8 baht a ride they are great value for money sometimes it pays not to be a snob. They are frequent and on the whole OK to travel in. I also use the BTS. I live in Bang Na. Anyone know when the On Nut extension is likely to open the stations look finished but who knows?