Pattaya→ko Samet On A Hired Bike

joorakee

I'm thinking about renting a small or medium-sized motorbike (maybe a big bike if I can find one that suits me) in Pattaya and going to Ko Samet. Do you think that it's a good idea or just the opposite? Any similar experiences?

And if I decide to do it - is leaving the bike in a secured parking space in Ban Phe the only option?

Any advice will be appreciated. :)

Never rode as far as Ban Phe, but have done Pattaya to Rayong a few times. It's pretty tiring. To Ban Phe is almost two hours. On a motorcycle, it wouldn't be a problem, but it's pretty demanding on a 125 motorbike. I don't know about parking in Ban Phe and leaving your bike there. You could leave it in Rayong, and take a baht bus to Ban Phe. You could leave your bike at Star Plaza.

It's a fairly easy ride down Sukhumvit to Rayong and on to Ban Phe - flat ground mostly and reasonably respectful car traffic for motorcyclist survival, as long as you keep your pace up and follow the right calibre of pickup.

If I remember Ban Phe from four years ago, they did have some sort of secured parking available, but it's a distant memory after all these years. You are welcome to leave the bike here at these apartments for a couple of nights and catch the baht-bus down to Amphur Rayong for 20thb where you should have no troubles catching another bus or else a taxi to Ban Phe.

PM me if you would like a reasonably safe storage space for a bike (best to bring a chain and padlock if it looks more expensive than a typical Honda Wave or Yamaha Fino) and we can arrange a time to meet down on Sukhumvit Road in Mapthaput and I can guide you back here, and then point out the right bus to catch from here to make it into Rayong, and on to Ban Phe.

PM me if you would like a reasonably safe storage space for a bike (best to bring a chain and padlock if it looks more expensive than a typical Honda Wave or Yamaha Fino) and we can arrange a time to meet down on Sukhumvit Road in Mapthaput and I can guide you back here, and then point out the right bus to catch from here to make it into Rayong, and on to Ban Phe.

not trying to be funny, but then why bother with the bike in the first place...Pattaya to MPT then park up and catch a bus to Ban Phe, Pattaya to MPT is not even half way... :)

• 1 month later...

not trying to be funny, but then why bother with the bike in the first place...Pattaya to MPT then park up and catch a bus to Ban Phe, Pattaya to MPT is not even half way... :)

Ah have some fun, I rode my Yamaha 135cc all over Thailand when I had it and had a lot of fun. That was also with the wife on the back. Pattaya up the meekong to Mi Hong Son to Pattaya to Phuket etc. had a blast and found some great hotels, Motels and friendly Thai's that looked after the bike when we went to the island. :D

I've actually moved closer to Pattaya by now, so the best advice I could agree with is just catch the red bus to the Rayong bus station and another bus to Ban Phe from there. Motorbikes don't float on salt water.

If u decide to do this u can leave yr bike inside our guesthouse if u want. we live on site so security 24/7

our guesthouse is Bedrock Guesthouse Bar & Grill Ban pier. about 3 minutes from the piers

rgds Mark

Thanks mate. That gets me off the hook and hopefully you can accommodate a spare rented Honda a little closer and a little easier than I could have at the best of times. I saw your specials in the other thread too and will keep that good offer in mind for March. :)

And when he says three minutes to the pier, he means walking. No need to get any transport from Bedrock to the pier.

Bedrock really is that close to the Koh Samet pier.

Disclosure: I have no connection to Bedrock other than passing it pretty regularly on my motorbike in and out of Ban Phe. Don't much drink there as I think their beer prices are a bit high, and don't want to be out on the moto after having a few anyway.

Good rooms if you want to stay the night on the mainland, restaurant, and bar.

And when he says three minutes to the pier, he means walking. No need to get any transport from Bedrock to the pier.

Bedrock really is that close to the Koh Samet pier.

Disclosure: I have no connection to Bedrock other than passing it pretty regularly on my motorbike in and out of Ban Phe. Don't much drink there as I think their beer prices are a bit high, and don't want to be out on the moto after having a few anyway.

Good rooms if you want to stay the night on the mainland, restaurant, and bar.

Luckily we dropped some beer prices in the last week or so because i screwed up the pricing on the new menu. Too lazy to do the menu again so the customer gets the benefits. :)

• 7 months later...

Actually If the bike has Invoice or red/white reg plate as 94% of all big bikes in Pattaya ... you cant drive outside of Pattaya . . . Why ? ... Because this bikes are not legal registred . ,so if police stop you outside Pattaya they will take the bike . .

Not reg = No goverment insurance and no road Tax = Big Problem ! . . . , this is not a JOKE !

And why they not register the bikes is also because most of them are stolen in Japan and smuggled here . . . . . . .

T.I.T

Edited by oMega69

If you ride the bike down you can leave your bike in our geusthouse locked up so secure.

No charge. We are opposite the new govt pier

Cheers Mark p.s. ask for me click on our banner ad in the travel forum for our details

sorry thought this was a new post

as for the beer prices come in and check it out. if you think they are to high ill bbuy u one and then u can go find a place where they are cheaper

:whistling:

Edited by Bedrockguesthouse

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of people seem to do it. you'll find secure parking.

I think there is a bit of a catch 22 regarding choice of bike though.

If you get a 100 to 125 step-through, you'll probably eve get insurance, but it is sometimes a struggle to keep up with the traffic.

A bigger bike on the other hand would be more "fun" but less likely to be "legal" in respect of insurance and the like.