Norwegian Correspondent Killed In Bangkok

sabaijai

First Rain Dogs gets closed by the police, now its founder deceases.

Truly bad times for bohemian Bangkok.

It's an interesting link. Tor was reportedly very upset by the closure of the bar and an alleged request for a big sum before it could be reopened. At least one nearby resident with a certain amount of "pull" was pushing to have it shut, people have claimed. This had depressed him and was a subject of discussion in the hours prior to his death; however no-one is suggesting his tragic death was anything but an accident. Crossing city roads can be a hazardous thing in Bangkok even in broad daylight, and it's possible the busdriver was "enjoying" the relative freedom of little traffic prior to the return of the upcountry hordes later that night. He has reportedly claimed to be doing only the speed limit, but there's not a lot of info on that at present.

It would be nice if just once you xenophobic morons refrained from filling a ThaiVisa forum thread with your ignorant and angry drivel?

You know none of the details of the accident that killed Tor. It could have been dangerous driving, it could have been mechanical failure or Tor himself could simply have made a mistake.

Stories like this are sad enough without your painfully weak egos always needing to capitalize on them.

NICKBKK you should become aware of one's own fallibility by accepting that everyone has subconcious biases. In my case, my reflexive judgments is that "Stories like these are sad to know especially when concluded that another MONSTER- BUS DRIVER hits again and again pedestrians or other vehicles. I have been driving in Bangkok for over 4 years and witnessed how these reckless drivers behave on the road. They deserve more trainings/seminars. This is only my opinion"

Torgeir Norling was killed crossing the road on a green light at a pedestrian crossing according to the norwegian newspaper BT. Run over by a busdriver who was running a red light...

www.bt.no/nyheter/utenriks/Norsk-journalist-drept-i-Bangkok-995718.html

I was nearly run over myself, in Chiang Mai, two years ago, trying to cross the road on a green light at a pedestrian crossing. In Thailand a lot of drivers just ignore pedestrian crossing-lights, so these lights give people trying to cross the road a false sense of security. In Thailand you cannot assume that drivers follow the law.

according to the norwegian newspaper BT. Run over by a busdriver who was running a red light...

A somewhat predictable finding that will shock the more naive and unaware amongst us.

In regard to earlier post re police demanding a large sum re the closure of Rain Dogs. It appears they had legitimate grounds for closing the bar down in that it reportedly had no liquor license, but some fans of the bar are hoping an arrangement can be reached with neighbours & the authorities to open it again in the future, as it was seen as a popular venue. It's actually tucked almost under the freeway near the off-ramp at Rama IV and a little bit away from homes, so there shouldn't be many nearby residents affected.

Also some have claimed the accident was captured on 24-hour surveillance cameras. That may clarify whether the driver who hit him ran a red light. Meanwhile, the driver allegedly went to the funeral for a short time yesterday to pay his respects to the deceased and the grieving family. That gesture was appreciated by a number of his friends, and there doesn't appear to have been any overt anger directed at the driver, as far as can be made out - rather just sadness over the loss of a popular man with decent values and a passion to help those suffering in the world.

Buddhist rites for the deceased continue tonight (7pm) and tomorrow (Sat) at Wat Klong Toei Nai.

What a terrible irony, he survives numerous war zones around the world only to die at the hands of a careless Bangkok bus driver when on holiday at home, how very sad. RIP

Is it irony? In numerous war zones, your guard is up, all your senses at peak awareness. At home, more relaxed, your guard, your survival sense dulled due to familiarity, and a heightened sense of feeling safe. Most, sad to say, don't see traffic as a war zone, in any country, but particularly here, it is important to keep uppermost in mind, that someone dies every 15 minutes in a traffic related incident in Thailand. My condolences to the family and friends. Everyone else, stay alert when on or by the roads. The public roads ARE a "warzone". :)

Condolences to his wife, his young son, his family and friends. Its always sad when a young child loses his father, a wife her husband and parents their child. Something that needs to be considered by those posting, thanks.

What a terrible irony, he survives numerous war zones around the world only to die at the hands of a careless Bangkok bus driver when on holiday at home, how very sad. RIP

Is it irony? In numerous war zones, your guard is up, all your senses at peak awareness. At home, more relaxed, your guard, your survival sense dulled due to familiarity, and a heightened sense of feeling safe. Most, sad to say, don't see traffic as a war zone, in any country, but particularly here, it is important to keep uppermost in mind, that someone dies every 15 minutes in a traffic related incident in Thailand. My condolences to the family and friends. Everyone else, stay alert when on or by the roads. The public roads ARE a "warzone". :)

True, but somewhere in all of that is an element of luck and it's something, ironic, sad or something similar that a person should appear to have so much luck in dangerous conditions and so little in relatively safe one.

Torgeir Norling was killed crossing the road on a green light at a pedestrian crossing according to the norwegian newspaper BT. Run over by a busdriver who was running a red light...

I was nearly run over myself, in Chiang Mai, two years ago, trying to cross the road on a green light at a pedestrian crossing. In Thailand a lot of drivers just ignore pedestrian crossing-lights, so these lights give people trying to cross the road a false sense of security. In Thailand you cannot assume that drivers follow the law.

Or anywhere else for that matter. Not just Thailand. RIP Tor