Use New Or Old Passport?

From Consulate in Pattaya comment I would guess you are talking about a UK passport and do not have an knowledge. I would expect something to be provided so that you can have current entry/extension of stay stamps placed into the new passport.

Yes it is a U.K. passport L. ***

Thanks also for the input re the current entry / extension of stay stamps.

Incidently there is also an unused re entry stamp I got for when I go back home.

*** I,ve just had a courteous email reply from Barry Kenyon the honourary Pattaya Consulate saying sorry and that unfortunately this type of scenario has to be dealt with at the British Embassy in Bangkok.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

Here's an update for anyone curious:

Since the opinions here were well-reasoned on both sides of the validity question, I did finally get up the nerve to call the US passport center. I am planning to leave the country within the month. So I was a little apprehensive that, should they have actually made a mistake, there was a chance they might make me send back my passports to properly cancel the old one.

Before calling I did some more research using Dr. Google. This turned up some interesting posts about folks who legally have two passports. Second passports are issued to those with good reasons to need them. Reasons include journalists and others who travel between countries at war through neutral countries, those who travel a lot and need to send one passport off for a visa while they travel somewhere else, as well as some who work overseas and need to carry their passport to work daily but fear losing it. No kidding.

The catch with the second passports normally issued is that they are only issued with two years validity. I knew something was different with mine, and then I read a comment in one of the longer interesting threads I found on the topic at http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/how-to-get-...te-us-passport/

the State Dept actually made a mistake in my favor! They sent me a brand new 10-year passport as a duplicate passport…and they didn't cancel my old passport! Too bad they didn't make the same mistake on my wife's duplicate passport and she only got a 2-year one…

So here I was thinking I wasn't the first, and maybe it was even intentional. I had begun thinking it could be useful to have two active passports. But I still felt a little odd about it why they would send it solely on the basis of my asking for extra visa pages in my renewal app, for frequent travel.

So I had to call just to be sure. The lady on the line was very nice. After asking some identification questions, she informed me that my first passport was indeed canceled, no longer valid, and that I could not use it! When I explained its completely unmarked condition, she was a bit surprised. To my relief she did not ask me to send either of them back.

I hope this is useful information. So now I know, the government can make mistakes... :)

The old passport should have the top right corner cut off by the issuing authority plus normally a new passport automatically cancels any previous passport but I am not an american and they may have different rules.

Where did you got the idea that an new passport automatically cancels the old one? I have three, all perfectly valid and I travel in and out of my own country at will with them, just as I do to many other countries. Lots of people even request a second passport, after all you do not want to be seen in certain country with a stamp in your pass of a country considered less friendly.

....the US Passport Centers in America are notoriously slow in processing visas and add-ons, like extra pages.

I have a brother-in-law that waited 3 months to get extra pages sewn in!

He hadda get his Senator and all sorts of political heavyweights on the phone to return his passport.

Oh, and the req'd pages never got added.

Next time you need additional pages, head to the ACS (American Citizen Services) at 95 Wireless Rd,

Bangkok, across from the US Embassy. They will gladly sew in extra pages and take all of 10-15 minutes.

Some things are best NOT done in USA.

They normally cut the cover at the ends or punch a hole thru your old passport when issuing a new one.

I would not use it because somewhere it is on record that it is no longer valid. Your new passport has a different number than your old. If you are refused entry somewhere on the old one, you cannot pull out the new one in front of immigration and say, well lets try this one then.

I have a question for the OP: Are the Issued date for the new passport and the Expires date in the old passport the same? In other words, did they issue the new passport to take affect as the old one expires? Just curious as I'm off to Bangkok next month to get mine renewed.

Edited by montri69

I have a question for the OP: Are the Issued date for the new passport and the Expires date in the old passport the same? In other words, did they issue the new passport to take affect as the old one expires? Just curious as I'm off to Bangkok next month to get mine renewed.

lopburi already answered, but I'll add that it seems had what you asked been the case, I would have had my original answers without needing to post--

From Consulate in Pattaya comment I would guess you are talking about a UK passport and do not have an knowledge. I would expect something to be provided so that you can have current entry/extension of stay stamps placed into the new passport.

With the kind permission of the O.P. I,d like to post the answers to my questions.

For information purposes re my British Embassy visit for anyone who may have to go there reading this thread.

If you have visa,s ect. in your damaged passport, they will make an exception and return it along with the new one.

Ref Url re. the thread I opened covering my particular scenario and the outcome, Post 7

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Udonthani-Ba...85#entry3270885

marshbags :D

Congrats to you; and the more info, the better--

Thanks sanooki.

I agree entirely with you about sharing info, especially when it is of a similar nature to the thread content.

I only wish all members would post updates on their successes ( and more importantly, failures of course for a heads up.)

• 2 weeks later...

With the kind permission of the O.P. I,d like to post the answers to my questions.

For information purposes re my British Embassy visit for anyone who may have to go there reading this thread.

If you have visa,s ect. in your damaged passport, they will make an exception and return it along with the new one.

Ref Url re. the thread I opened covering my particular scenario and the outcome, Post 7

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Udonthani-Ba...85#entry3270885

Lopburi was spot on yet again, nice one L :D

I am happy to post a very positive result / conclusion.

All loose ends tied up in my particular scenario Post 8 onthe above thread.

Edited by marshbags

I was going to say once you tried to use the old passport - you'd been flagged for trying to use a canceled passport at the airport. Remember when you check-in - the airline staff do check passport validity via their computer system which is attached with Customs/passport control.

Lopburi was spot on yet again, nice one L :D

I am happy to post a very positive result / conclusion.

All loose ends tied up in my particular scenario Post 8 onthe above thread.

Good for you. Resonate with your JL sig a lot too...

Does your new passport have issued date and end date inscribed, or the date after your old one expires as the beginning date of the new document? Just a thought :D .

I think someone brought this up earlier. But no, new one starts right away. That would have also mooted the OP?

I was going to say once you tried to use the old passport - you'd been flagged for trying to use a canceled passport at the airport. Remember when you check-in - the airline staff do check passport validity via their computer system which is attached with Customs/passport control.

Yep, I was glad I checked in with the Gov before even attempting anything like that--

Cheers

You will have to use the new passport for all entries and exits from Thailand.

Have you been to immigration to ask them to transfer your current entry stamp to the new passport?

You will need the old passport for this procedure.

That is most important.

However if you have a current multi-entry visa in the old passport you will still be able to use that visa until it expires,

but the entry stamp will be in the new passport.

Hi, I've just noticed that on of pages is missing from my passport. The british embassy in BKK has told me that I must get a new passport from them. The local immagration office in Khon Kean says that they can transfer the visa (date) stamp themselves, but they cannot transfer my Non-B multiple entry visa into the new passport. However they it would still be honored at the border if I show the officer the Non-B multiple entry visa in the cancelled passport.

Has anybody had any experince of this (ie going to the border with two passports)? Will they accept two passports at the border to show the visa? Or will I loose the Non-B multiple entry visa? Please advise...

Thanks in advance.

Source

Immigration cannot transfer Visas. You will have to show both Passports when entering the country until the Visa has expired.

This is quite normal and is done all the time.

Dear Lite beer,

Thanks for your reply, so it looks like i've been worrying too much about nothing then.

Kind regards