Use New Or Old Passport?

Hi, this is an odd question, as I've never seen it before. I tried search to no avail. I just received my new US passport. I had applied a bit early, and was not expecting the old one to be returned, but it was. Since the old one still has a couple years left, is it wiser to continue to use the old one, while having the new one as a backup? The thought being having the backup with more years on it is better. Or is that just not done? I didn't receive any instructions, so not sure.

Thanks much for your help--

The old passport should have the top right corner cut off by the issuing authority plus normally a new passport automatically cancels any previous passport but I am not an american and they may have different rules.

Pretty sure it is illegal to use the old one and it should be mutilated in some way to render it useless anyway.

I got my new passport in 2007 at the embassy in Bangkok because the old one was mutilated and damaged - the bastards would not return my passport and would not tell me why - but it is standard operating procedure to give back the old passport. Probably for sentimentality mostly, people like to look at all of those stamps - I know I'm pissed I can't look at my old (and first) passport.

Edit: I'm American and the above may not apply to other countries...

Edited by DegenFarang

The old passport should have the top right corner cut off by the issuing authority plus normally a new passport automatically cancels any previous passport but I am not an american and they may have different rules.

Not quite, if you hold two British passports.... :)

Yep, I was expecting the old one to not be returned or for it to be mutilated in some way. But I've been inspecting it and cannot find anything wrong. That's why I'm asking. There are no instructions along, either. Seems prudent, however to treat the old one as expired and just take along in case.

Thanks again, and still a bit curious.

There are no instructions along, either. Seems prudent, however to treat the old one as expired and just take along in case.

I've had three renewals since moving here and all the old passports have a hole punched through it so surprised that wasn't done with yours. But yes, the old passport and new passport number is in the system and would be unwise to try to continue to use the old one. Did you transfer your permission to stay stamp into the new passport? If so, immigration will have your new passport number in the system also and would be a complication trying to renew extensions using the old one.

//edit - just to add it is also an American passport issued in Chiangmai.

Did you transfer your permission to stay stamp into the new passport?

No, but I'm currently back in the US, so no need to do. Contemplating next visa at this point.

As a US Citizen, your old decommissioned Passport is still valid as 'Proof of Citizenship' should you lose your current Passport and need to apply for a new Passport.

Yep, this seems to be the best value for it.

By the way, I also got one of those new passport cards. I know it can't be used for off-continent travel, but think it will come in handy as a more official copy of my passport to carry in my wallet.

You will have to use the new passport for all entries and exits from Thailand.

Have you been to immigration to ask them to transfer your current entry stamp to the new passport?

You will need the old passport for this procedure.

That is most important.

However if you have a current multi-entry visa in the old passport you will still be able to use that visa until it expires,

but the entry stamp will be in the new passport.

Why travel with your old passport just something else that can get lost, or stolen.

I would think it depends on how long you're traveling. If you're setting up base somewhere and plan to stay a long time, as in most expat situations, you might consider "home" to be Thailand, for instance. Then if you need to take short excursions or visa runs, you would take only the current official passport. Living somewhere for a while, there are always days when I have to take the "real" one with me, and usually feel slightly vulnerable. Likewise I feel the same when carrying only a photocopy. Having a few options seems to, perhaps artificially, make me feel more secure. Anyone else?

Were you issued an extra passport or a replacement passport? With two years remaing why did you request? You can have more than one passport if needed for frequent travel/visa applications so they have have issued you a second passport.

If old has been canclled there should be holes at top/bottom of right side front cover and page one and rear cover and signature page stamped cancelled.

Have you been to immigration to ask them to transfer your current entry stamp to the new passport?

Nah, I'm in the US now, so nothing current to transfer. I'm about to get a new visa, so was hoping to figure out into which book to put it.

If you are a Thai resident you have to keep the old passport also. That is the number in the Thai Police book (red one) and the police and immigration won't issue a new one.

That's interesting. I'm assuming that only applies to currently active visas? If not, I guess I'll have two to guard.

Were you issued an extra passport or a replacement passport? With two years remaing why did you request? You can have more than one passport if needed for frequent travel/visa applications so they have have issued you a second passport.

If old has been canclled there should be holes at top/bottom of right side front cover and page one and rear cover and signature page stamped cancelled.

Very interesting. I filled out Form DS-82, "Passport Renewal." I didn't think I qualified for two passports. I renewed now, since I'm stateside, dreaming about a long trip. It seems messier to do while away, considering the kinds of things mentioned above with keeping track of stamps and visas in an existing passport.

I still had unused extra pages in the old one, had requested the same for the new one, but they did not give them. Maybe this is how they are helping, by giving me the old one to use? There are no holes or canceled stamp or marks of any kind in my old book. I wonder if I can find out for sure if it is active somehow. Guess I could call. Then I would also want to know my original question: Should I use the old one till it fills up or expires, before using the new one?

I would continue to use the old passport in that case and use up the unused pages or until it gets below a year (depanding on your visa requirements). Adding pages for a US passport is done by Embassy free of charge so unless you really travel a lot they should not require renewal prior to expiration.

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Two active. A new one on me.

It's quite normal. I knew one guy who had five, all from the same country, and another guy who had three, all from different countries.

It's important that you do not get them mixed up. The entry and exit stamps from a country, should really be in the same passport. If you get this confused, you may find yourself in trouble.

:)

Thy should have canceled the old one on issuing the new one , I believe.

I would not use the old one going into or out of the U.S., in fact I wouln't use it all.

The reason is that I believe when the new one was issued in your name with the passport numbr you were entered into the computer database with your name and that passport number.

So if you arrive, and try to enter with a passport having a different number...you might have problems explaining why you have two different number passports with the same name.

Thes days everything goes into the computer database...so if your passport is cheked and it doesn't fit with the computer database...about the nicest thing that will happen to you is that a lot of questions wll have to be answered, and explanations will have to be made.

I once knew a guy with three passports...but under three different names. I never did trust that guy just for that reason.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I would expect them to be in the computer system, for sure. But I think they can still intend to let someone have two passports. I should probably call just to be sure what they intend.

Now that it seems likely I've got two active books, a further curiosity: The new one is "electronic." It has an RFID chip in it that will activate my record when I walk up to a checkpoint (only in the US?). Supposedly a convenience, but how does this affect someone, such as me, who hands them the old book with a different number? They must have that worked out, I hope?

Pretty sure it is illegal to use the old one and it should be mutilated in some way to render it useless anyway.

I got my new passport in 2007 at the embassy in Bangkok because the old one was mutilated and damaged - the bastards would not return my passport and would not tell me why - but it is standard operating procedure to give back the old passport. Probably for sentimentality mostly, people like to look at all of those stamps - I know I'm pissed I can't look at my old (and first) passport.

Edit: I'm American and the above may not apply to other countries...

Old passports are of more than just of sentimental value. If you travel a lot they can be an invaluable record of when you travelled to where. I wouldn't be too happy if they kept my old passports.

Aplogies for maybe bumping the thread O.P.

I have water damaged my passport and will have to get it replaced before travelling outside the country.

Will they return the damaged one by request if asked for as I noted they usually keep them in this case. ?

I was thinking about relevant information that can still be seen / is not smudged ( some of the contents ) re visa stamps ect. to enable getting the transfer of current retirement visa, in particular.

Luckily I have a set of photocopies from my last visa application and as I always do, have in addition a copy of the latest entries to carry when going out of town for back up if ever I need it.

Hopefully these will come in handy...I hope.

Also can this be done at the Pattaya consulate please ?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

I would like to know why the OP has not contacted the local offices in the US to get the answer or did I miss that somewhere? Coming on here and getting all these guesses as to this and that is not the straight skinny!

Applying for a new passport 2 years early seems a bit odd to me but his choice for his posted reasons. Getting a renewal here in LOS and transferring info is not difficult.

Aplogies for maybe bumping the thread O.P.

I have water damaged my passport and will have to get it replaced before travelling outside the country.

Will they return the damaged one by request if asked for as I noted they usually keep them in this case. ?

I was thinking about relevant information that can still be seen / is not smudged ( some of the contents ) re visa stamps ect. to enable getting the transfer of current retirement visa, in particular.

Luckily I have a set of photocopies from my last visa application and as I always do, have in addition a copy of the latest entries to carry when going out of town for back up if ever I need it.

Hopefully these will come in handy...I hope.

Also can this be done at the Pattaya consulate please ?

Thanks in advance for any advice and info.

marshbags :)

Just noted Lopburi, s post which was posted while typing mine re transfers.

In this case would the embassy return my damaged one for ongoing use to compliment my photocopies from before, and reference please ?

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags

From Consulate in Pattaya comment I would guess you are talking about a UK passport and do not have an knowledge. I would expect something to be provided so that you can have current entry/extension of stay stamps placed into the new passport.