Moving To Pattaya And Looking For An International School

wvg

Hello,

We are moving to Pattaya ( near Mapracham Lake ) in June and are looking for a International School for our children age 5 and 11. We would like them to study in English and learn to speak Thai. Currently both are in school in Belgium Europe.

I was considering four different school and would appreciate any info or experiences you guys could share with us good or bad.

International School of Pattaya

St Andrew's International School

International School Eastern Seaboard

Askorn tech School ( not sure this International )

Thank you for any advice you can give :-)

International school of pattaya is not international,they only use it in their name.Aksorn is also not international as you probably already know they even don't have an english program.Also International schools don't teach in Thai,solely english and will set you back somewhere between 300 and 500.000 Baht a year.In your case better you look for a bilingual school or in other words a Thai school with an english program.

Are your kids mixed Thai/Farang with some ability to speak Thai already?

If not a bilingual school would be no good as the majority of teaching (except English language) is in Thai.

Forget Aksorn Tech, it's Thai.

St. Andrew's teaches Farang kids Thai but it's not serious, they also teach Dutch if you're Belgian?

Nearer to your location would be Regent's School which is more expensive than St. Andrew's, did you not consider Regent's or did not hear about it?

If not a bilingual school would be no good as the majority of teaching (except English language) is in Thai.

St. Andrew's teaches Farang kids Thai but it's not serious, they also teach Dutch if you're Belgian?

Nearer to your location would be Regent's School which is more expensive than St. Andrew's, did you not consider Regent's or did not hear about it?

Thank you

Yes I am from Belgium. My kids are European and don't know any Thai at all.But if we are going to live in Thailand I want to know the language and I also want my children to learn it. I believe it's important.

I looked at The Regents but it's to big and to expensive I feels as if my children would get lost at such a big school and be just a number. I have talked to St Andrews and they are the first school to have given me an e-mail response in proper English. I've also had contact with their Dutch teacher and have become quit comfortable with the idea of the kids going there.

It just a bit of a ride and seems the bus is expensive??? 12.000 Bath per months for two children from Inside HOrse Soe Point to the school and back in the afternoon????? Is this teh normal price??, It seems I could have a private driver for them at the same price not???

Is it easy to find a nanny/maid and driver for the children?

Thank you

Wendy

Edited by wvg

^Yes the bus service at most schools is expensive.

I did originally look at getting a driver myself but they wanted 10k a month which is not worth it for someone sitting around most of the day doing nothing.

Instead I bought a second car and my wife does the school run.

You could always get a private tutor for your kids to learn Thai. But do THEY want to learn it?

^Yes the bus service at most schools is expensive.

I did originally look at getting a driver myself but they wanted 10k a month which is not worth it for someone sitting around most of the day doing nothing.

Instead I bought a second car and my wife does the school run.

You could always get a private tutor for your kids to learn Thai. But do THEY want to learn it?

Since I would have to pay the bus 12k a month I might aswell pay 10k like you say for a driver and use hime for the kids and myself during the day :-)

My husband will buy a car but for sure I will also just not looking forward to driving in traffic all day :) ... so I think a driver would be nice

Thank You

My son has gone to Assumption school in Sri Racha ,his friend goes to Regents which is a rip off,my son by far has the better education ,school bus is 2000 baht a month door to door . i cant recomend it highly enough.

Hmm I never heard of this school is it far from Mapracham lake ( Near Horse Shoe Point )

Do they have a website?

Thank You

I work for an international company in Eastern Seaboard and a couple of my colleagues have children attending different international schools in the area. The one school everyone seems to know about (since it promotes itself in the Pattaya Mail Newspaper) is Regent School. It has over 1200 students and follows a British curriculum which my one partner chose since he is from England. He states that the school's facade looks great from the highway, but once you get into the classrooms and such it isn't well maintained. He is disappointed with the turn over of teachers (young and stay around 2-3 years) and the lack of materials; however. his children seem to be happy there. My other partner, who is Canadian, has two children attending the International School Eastern Seaboard which is "hidden" on the Burapha golf course. The school of 420 ? students has an IB program (enables the student to be accepted in a European college) and is accredited with the Western Association of School and Colleges (has more of a North American curriculum). What he likes about the school is that the teachers are older, many with a masters degree and stay longer which he feels gives the school more stabilty and continuity . I went to his son's music program and was impressed how the classrooms looked like ones in the States or Australia..plenty of materials and cheerful. I do know ISE has a over 23 nationalities at the school though it is a smaller school. The majority of the students are not Thai like some of the "international" schools are. Both schools have a good sports program and do community projects. The tuition is not cheap, but many of the international companies pay for all or part of the tuition.

Questions you may want to ask when looking at a new school for you children is:

What is the age spand of your teachers...what is the turnover rate.... what materials, text books, teaching techniques do you use in the classroom... what does the ESL program consist of ?(if your child needs to learn English) and walk around during the day if the school is in session; after all you will be spending some big bucks on your child's education. Since you are going overseas you want your children to be exposed to many nationalities - that is an education in itself. Sorry to say this but just because a school has a title "international" it doesn't mean that it has a variety of nationalities. The majority of the students may be Thai with a few "token" Western teachers teaching..and are they certified?

Since I would have to pay the bus 12k a month I might aswell pay 10k like you say for a driver and use hime for the kids and myself during the day :-)

My husband will buy a car but for sure I will also just not looking forward to driving in traffic all day :) ... so I think a driver would be nice

Thank You

You can probably get a driver cheaper than 10k.

I think someone was taking the p1ss when I was enquiring.

My son goes to regents in year 1. We have been very happy with the curriculum and quality of the education he has recieved so far. There are things that annoy me about regents but I try to focus on the stuff that is great. The primary school is excellent IMO. While the overall number of students is large it seems, class sizes are small and my son is learning so much. That said, I have friends whose children go to st andrews and international school of eastern seasboard and are very happy with their decision. All the schools have their pros and cons, you just have to pick the one that will fit your children the best.

If you can afford it, get a driver. Worth every satang. Not only is the driving kind of hazardous but the drivers know the area well and know where everything is. They can also be useful in situations when you need a thai speaker. I would give up my maid before I would give up my driver.

As far as finding a maid, word of mouth is best. Ask around and usually someone else's maid knows someone ...etc. We inherited our maid from the man who was in my husband's position previously.

My son has gone to Assumption school in Sri Racha ,his friend goes to Regents which is a rip off,my son by far has the better education ,school bus is 2000 baht a month door to door . i cant recomend it highly enough.

Hmm I never heard of this school is it far from Mapracham lake ( Near Horse Shoe Point )

Do they have a website?

Thank You

The website is www.acs.ac.th the school is excelent (catholic) although my son is Bhuddist as are most of the pupils. the level of education is high. if you want to contact me ,my e mail is available just check my profile. many students are from your location.

My son is in his fifth year at St Andrew's having started at Kindergarten level. He is extremely happy there and loves going to school. The kids there are generally very nice and there is a very pleasant family atmosphere. The vast majority of students are either foreign or half Thai, half foreign. Most of the parents are also very nice and it is a very sociable school. There are lots of other parents there who I now class as friends. In terms of the teachers my son has had, I have generally been impressed by them (as one would expect in an international school, save for the Thai teachers, they are western, properly qualified and experienced). Also a significant proportion of the teaching staff seem to hang around there for a number of years. As a result, the standard of teaching is good and certainly my son is doing very well. All the kids have Thai lessons. However, those children who are either Thai or half Thai have more lessons each week than the foreign children.

Why would you want to move to Pattaya, and expose your kids to all that Pattaya is infamous for.

I have seen you post this to other people moving to Pattaya ... why are you so against Pattaya

Like I said before I am living inland near Mapracham Lake and not in Pattaya .. even though the drive is only 15min I will not be enjoying an evening walk in walkingstreet with my children. More so around the poolside with friends enjoying the sun and the BBQ :-)

I'll be seen in Walkingstreet when friends come to visit from Europe cause Lord knows they all wanna see walkingstreet. ( without my children )

Thank You

You can probably get a driver cheaper than 10k.

I think someone was taking the p1ss when I was enquiring.

Thanks ... I'm hoping to find a couple ... the husband a driver and the wife nanny/maid that would be perfect ...

My son goes to regents in year 1. We have been very happy with the curriculum and quality of the education he has recieved so far. There are things that annoy me about regents but I try to focus on the stuff that is great. The primary school is excellent IMO. While the overall number of students is large it seems, class sizes are small and my son is learning so much. That said, I have friends whose children go to st andrews and international school of eastern seasboard and are very happy with their decision. All the schools have their pros and cons, you just have to pick the one that will fit your children the best.

If you can afford it, get a driver. Worth every satang. Not only is the driving kind of hazardous but the drivers know the area well and know where everything is. They can also be useful in situations when you need a thai speaker. I would give up my maid before I would give up my driver.

As far as finding a maid, word of mouth is best. Ask around and usually someone else's maid knows someone ...etc. We inherited our maid from the man who was in my husband's position previously.

Great thanks ... that might be the best way to go word of mouth ... I have some time I arrive in June and school starts August although I would like to start work in July :-)

I work for an international company in Eastern Seaboard and a couple of my colleagues have children attending different international schools in the area. The one school everyone seems to know about (since it promotes itself in the Pattaya Mail Newspaper) is Regent School. It has over 1200 students and follows a British curriculum which my one partner chose since he is from England. He states that the school's facade looks great from the highway, but once you get into the classrooms and such it isn't well maintained. He is disappointed with the turn over of teachers (young and stay around 2-3 years) and the lack of materials; however. his children seem to be happy there. My other partner, who is Canadian, has two children attending the International School Eastern Seaboard which is "hidden" on the Burapha golf course. The school of 420 ? students has an IB program (enables the student to be accepted in a European college) and is accredited with the Western Association of School and Colleges (has more of a North American curriculum). What he likes about the school is that the teachers are older, many with a masters degree and stay longer which he feels gives the school more stabilty and continuity . I went to his son's music program and was impressed how the classrooms looked like ones in the States or Australia..plenty of materials and cheerful. I do know ISE has a over 23 nationalities at the school though it is a smaller school. The majority of the students are not Thai like some of the "international" schools are. Both schools have a good sports program and do community projects. The tuition is not cheap, but many of the international companies pay for all or part of the tuition.

Questions you may want to ask when looking at a new school for you children is:

What is the age spand of your teachers...what is the turnover rate.... what materials, text books, teaching techniques do you use in the classroom... what does the ESL program consist of ?(if your child needs to learn English) and walk around during the day if the school is in session; after all you will be spending some big bucks on your child's education. Since you are going overseas you want your children to be exposed to many nationalities - that is an education in itself. Sorry to say this but just because a school has a title "international" it doesn't mean that it has a variety of nationalities. The majority of the students may be Thai with a few "token" Western teachers teaching..and are they certified?

Thanks I have an appointment with the school ST Andrews and am feeling comfortable ... so we'll see. It is expensive and I do have to pay for it myself ... so I hope they study well LOL

My son is in his fifth year at St Andrew's having started at Kindergarten level. He is extremely happy there and loves going to school. The kids there are generally very nice and there is a very pleasant family atmosphere. The vast majority of students are either foreign or half Thai, half foreign. Most of the parents are also very nice and it is a very sociable school. There are lots of other parents there who I now class as friends. In terms of the teachers my son has had, I have generally been impressed by them (as one would expect in an international school, save for the Thai teachers, they are western, properly qualified and experienced). Also a significant proportion of the teaching staff seem to hang around there for a number of years. As a result, the standard of teaching is good and certainly my son is doing very well. All the kids have Thai lessons. However, those children who are either Thai or half Thai have more lessons each week than the foreign children.

Sounds great, the school informed me that most likely my son will go to 7th grade and my daughter to 2nd grade I geuss tehy count different then we do in Belgium :)

Can't wait to get there and get started!

Sounds great, the school informed me that most likely my son will go to 7th grade and my daughter to 2nd grade I geuss tehy count different then we do in Belgium :)

If starting in August she'll be in the same year as my daughter.

Each year is split into 2 classes, at the moment year 1 has about 14 kids in each class which will most likely carry through to year 2, give or take additions/deletions.

Of these 14 around 10 are Thai/mixed and 4 foreigners, Dutch, Korean, English, French.

The drive to St. Andrews is not bad from Horseshoe Point. Hwy 36 towards Rayong (divided Hwy) then right (traffic light) on the road to Green Valley Rayong/St. Andrews 2000 golf courses where the school is located. 2 lane road in good condition and not congested. About a 30 min drive for me and I don't hurry. Can't tell you about the quality of the school, no kids, just play golf there. Only posted because you mentioned being worried about driving in traffic and I have never encountered this problem on this route. So you can take your time and find a good, reliable and safe driver (good luck) and not hire one in haste.

lvxpat

You might want to check out Garden International School and Rayong English Program School (REPS) which is located next to it. REPS offers a cheaper bilingual program than GIS, but it's Mattayom program is new. Both schools are located in Ban Chang, which is a 45 minute bus ride from Pattaya.

I have seen a lot of mini buses going that way with the school logo on it (garden and REPS schools). I think there must be lots/hundreds of kids who go there from Pattaya everyday.

I do know that the international school of Pattaya is not an international school but just uses the word international.

I think the garden school has a website, do a google search it might be there.

Good luck in finding quality education here in thailand.

Norman

Thank you

Yes I am from Belgium. My kids are European and don't know any Thai at all.But if we are going to live in Thailand I want to know the language and I also want my children to learn it. I believe it's important.

I looked at The Regents but it's to big and to expensive I feels as if my children would get lost at such a big school and be just a number. I have talked to St Andrews and they are the first school to have given me an e-mail response in proper English. I've also had contact with their Dutch teacher and have become quit comfortable with the idea of the kids going there.

It just a bit of a ride and seems the bus is expensive??? 12.000 Bath per months for two children from Inside HOrse Soe Point to the school and back in the afternoon????? Is this teh normal price??, It seems I could have a private driver for them at the same price not???

Thank you

Wendy

Err.. Regent's is not so big, do you live in a village in Belgium?

I think Regent's has nice infrastructure and is nicely located near the residential area in Pattaya's hinterland.

I don't understand why people don't search the forum for past discussions. The subject of international schools has been raised so many times already and all the pro and cons discussed ad nauseum.

I don't understand why this thread has anything to do with you if you have no input to it.

Perhaps the posters are looking for real up-to-date info.

Edited by Rimmer
Unnecessary comment edited out by RIMMER

If starting in August she'll be in the same year as my daughter.

Each year is split into 2 classes, at the moment year 1 has about 14 kids in each class which will most likely carry through to year 2, give or take additions/deletions.

Of these 14 around 10 are Thai/mixed and 4 foreigners, Dutch, Korean, English, French.

Sounds great yes normally she starts in August second grade. Do they start to read and write in that grade? My daugher is from May 2004 she had done three years of kindergarden in Belgium.

Thanks

Thank you

Thank you

Wendy

Err.. Regent's is not so big, do you live in a village in Belgium?

I think Regent's has nice infrastructure and is nicely located near the residential area in Pattaya's hinterland.

Yes I live in a village in Belgium why?