Trying To Set Up A New Wireless Router

bkkmick

My current router is old and the wireless part of it doesn't have much reach (can't pick it up in the bedroom upstairs for example).

Today I decided to cough up and buy a new router and decided on the Belkin N+ wireless router as the graphics on the box suggest that the coverage will be all over the house.

Just been trying to set it up and I've fallen at the first hurdle!

On my existing router the phone line plugs into it, but on this new Belkin one there isn't a phone line socket, instead there's a lan type connection that says Modem on it!?

Anyone got any ideas what I have to do to get the new router connected to the phone line and therefore the internet?

I'm scratching my head here - I've no idea what to do!?

Thanks

Mick

Sounds like it is only a router and not a combined modem/router like your old model. If you posted the model number of the new router we can check for you.

If indeed it is only a router, then you need a model to put in between the phone line and the router.

Hi d0nndela

Yea, it doesn't mention anything about modem on the box, just N+ wireless router. I guess that I have to buy a Belkin modem then! Urghhh, back to Seacon...

Edited by bkkmick

You bought the wrong type for what you seem to have in mind. The phone plug is a 4-wire RJ-11, the common Ethernet connectors use the eight-wire RJ-45. The jack marked modem in your new device is for a external ADSL modem. Things could be made to work but your simplest solution is to go back to the shop and change the one you have for a router that has a phone jack plus (typically) four RJ-45 Ethernet jacks for connecting to your computer/s. Belkin may have such available in Thailand, Linksys/Cisco certainly has several different ones, including the WRT-45L as well as the WAT-160N (may be off on the exact model numbers). These will take the phone plug, convert the signal and do the router functions.

Hi d0nndela

Yea, it doesn't mention anything about modem on the box, just N+ wireless router. I guess that I have to buy a Belkin modem then! Urghhh, back to Seacon...

You didn't get a modem with the internet connection from your internet provider?

Wouldn't it be possible to use the old modem/router as just a modem and hook this one up to the new router the OP bought?

As I understand it the OP has only a problem about WiFi on the old modem/router.

opalhort

Yep that is possible, turn of the wifi on the old router, configure the new router as access point (turn off firewall and DHCP server), put a ethernet cable between the two routers (not into the WAN, but one of the 4 LAN ports).

Then you should be good to go.

Will of course leave you with double the amount of hardware standing about, but it should work fine.

OK, I'll take one on the chin. I bought the wrong bloody box. Above's a bit complicated for me, I think I'll return the one that I bought tomorrow and get the device I need.

I've learned something today: less haste, more speed (and wifi coverage).

Thanks for the ideas.

All the best

Mick

Then you should bring your ISP information (the username and password) and get the shop you buy it at to set it up for you. Most shops will do that, maybe charge you 100 baht or so for the service, but if you are not totally comfortable with wifi routers it's probably worth it.

OK, I'll take one on the chin. I bought the wrong bloody box. Above's a bit complicated for me, I think I'll return the one that I bought tomorrow and get the device I need.

I've learned something today: less haste, more speed (and wifi coverage).

Thanks for the ideas.

All the best

Mick

I bought a Linksys WAG150N, months ago now, looks a bit 'science fiction' but I have been very pleased with it and their help desk is free and very good. I even managed to set it up to WPA2 security. If you get this and are on TOT for ISP (bad luck I know) I can give you all the set up values, just PM me.

Got there is the end. What a complete idiot I was.

I went back to IT City in Seacon Square and explained that I needed the box with a modem built in. No problem, changed it and off home I went happy.

Tried installing it and couldn't. The CD wouldn't play on my PC and when I went to the IP address of the modem via the browser the main menu loaded up but none of the options would work! Baffled. I looked at the box and on the side it said MAC but there was no mention of Windows. Urghhhh.

After picking up my kids from school I swung around to Seacon yet again. I approached the desk where I had earlier swapped and tried to explain my mistake (with help from my 8yo when I couldn't get the words right).

I explained that the box says MAC but not Windows PC but the girl insisted that it would work on Windows. I was confused, there was nothing I could think of then the girl behind the counter asked if my house was far away? No, I replied. OK, let's go!

So the IT City staff member jumped into my car and I took her back. 15 minutes later and the new modem was working. She set up the security as well.

How about that for service? Bought the wrong box, had to swap it to a different one and then they came out and installed it for me. Brilliant.

Got there is the end. What a complete idiot I was.

I went back to IT City in Seacon Square and explained that I needed the box with a modem built in. No problem, changed it and off home I went happy.

Tried installing it and couldn't. The CD wouldn't play on my PC and when I went to the IP address of the modem via the browser the main menu loaded up but none of the options would work! Baffled. I looked at the box and on the side it said MAC but there was no mention of Windows. Urghhhh.

After picking up my kids from school I swung around to Seacon yet again. I approached the desk where I had earlier swapped and tried to explain my mistake (with help from my 8yo when I couldn't get the words right).

I explained that the box says MAC but not Windows PC but the girl insisted that it would work on Windows. I was confused, there was nothing I could think of then the girl behind the counter asked if my house was far away? No, I replied. OK, let's go!

So the IT City staff member jumped into my car and I took her back. 15 minutes later and the new modem was working. She set up the security as well.

How about that for service? Bought the wrong box, had to swap it to a different one and then they came out and installed it for me. Brilliant.

Great Service !

The box says just MAC or MAC ID:xxxxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers or letters)

This MAC has nothing to do with "MAC" as in Apple computers

Because :

a Media Access Control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to most network adapters or network interface cards (NICs) by the manufacturer for identification, and used in the Media Access Control protocol sub-layer. If assigned by the manufacturer, a MAC address usually encodes the manufacturer's registered identification number. It may also be known as an Ethernet Hardware Address (EHA), hardware address, adapter address, or physical address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

I extended the reach of my wireless by replacing the standard Antenna that came with the router with a bigger one that has more gain.

Cost about 600 bath.

Edited by brianinbangkok