Vip Bus

DarloKnight

We wanted to get from Krabi to Hua Hin on Sunday, I saw the price in all agents was 600 baht on the VIP bus when I went to book they wanted 850 Baht per person so we paid this for 2 adults and child.

We got picked up at 4.30pm on Sunday and taken to a bus station where we were told we would be delayed at setting off.

We set off about 1hr late. We stopped at Surat Thani and were told we would only stop 15 mins this turned into over 1.5hrs the bus had a problem and they had part of t in bits all over the floor.

We then set off again probably only going around 40 mph. We then stopped again and it looked like the driver was napping (not sure how long)

We then broke down around 10 mins away from Hua Hin (We did not know this at the time as we were just on a long stretch of road with nothing around it, we were told that another bus would come in 1hr proably around 2 to 3 hrs later another bus turned up.

We then set off again and the bus stopped in Cha-Am and we were told to get off I tried to explain to the driver we wanted to be in Hua Hin and he just said "this bus not go to Hua Hin"

So me, my husband and my child were left on a pavement on a main road with our bags at 8am in the morning, after a bus journey that took around 14hrs.

I was not a happy bunny!! But I suppose I must remember I am on holiday in Thailand and it's all part of the adventure.

What company operated this bus?

If possible, always get a bus from the bus station. These buses operate under a government concession and must comply with standards pertaining to seating, refreshments, punctuality and driver working hours. The price is fixed by the government.

I strongly suspect the bus you caught was an unauthorised operation without the necessary licence to carry passengers on that route. These operations are infamous for bad service.

So, I repeat, get your bus from the bus station.

What company operated this bus?

If possible, always get a bus from the bus station. These buses operate under a government concession and must comply with standards pertaining to seating, refreshments, punctuality and driver working hours. The price is fixed by the government.

I strongly suspect the bus you caught was an unauthorised operation without the necessary licence to carry passengers on that route. These operations are infamous for bad service.

So, I repeat, get your bus from the bus station.

Agree with this, VIP means NOTHING. ONLY take-to be 90% sure of some minimum level, the govmt. regulated buses from the BUSstations. NO ticvkets for these are generally sold by agents etc. and in fact this has bnow been told ad nauseam on about nay conceivable travel-Thailand fourm, and even the most well known travellers forum (=not this one) has dire warnings about it. Just conisder it as a lesson learnt for next trips.

The thing to look out for is the 1st class AC (buses are blue) or even better-but not present on many routes, the 999 (ngao-ngao-ngao) super de luxe buses-pink/purple and metal coloured.

The hint on Nakornchai is superfluous-they dont run to the south.

• 3 weeks later...

^ Good point! There's a private bus company that operates nationwide called VIP and my experience is they are the best. Unscrupulous (in Thailand? Never!) agents, tour desks and touts will sell the unwary a 'VIP' bus ticket that is nothing to do with the real VIP company. Note that any time we have purchased VIP bus tickets, it's been at their own desk or kiosk and not via any agency.

However, with the amount of routes, buses and pax that the 'real' VIP works with, it would not surprise me that they have the occasional bad run. The fact that for all their generally good service, they do not have a customer service department or any facility to address refund of compensation is also not a surprise.

PS. The VIP company's buses have their name VIP in large yellow letters on the front upper windshield & sometime on the back.

Edited by NanLaew

^ PS. The VIP company's buses have their name VIP in large yellow letters on the front upper windshield & sometime on the back.

Sorry to disturh this myth-but its a myth indeed. There is No company that is even named VIP. The ONLY thing regulated by the govmt-via its subsidiary the Borisat KonSong, is if a bus is 1st or 2nd class. (or 3d-but these are abolished since a few years on all those long routes).

What many people confuse it with is the 999 separate department of the BoKoSo-the buses-purple- with 999 are super-de-luxe. they onlky run to/from BKk on express routes to major other towns. You can only get tickets for these in their offices or via the fone.

VIP as such means nothing-its not a protected name or whatever.

What the originalk poster was clearly using were the Khao sarn scam buses, run by bSongSerm or its Phantip 20xx leases.