Windows Xp

bunnaag

How can I downgrade from service pack3 to service pack2?Is it possible?The Novatel MC760 works fine with my laptop with Windows7 but not so good with my desctop with Windows XP service pack3.I was told by CAT that it would run better especially by news videos if using service pack2.I dont know why but I would like to try it.

Thanks.Now a stupid question from a beginner.After removing service pack 3 do I have to get a CD to install service pack2?

I just saw on the remove programs list MSXML 4.0 (KB954430) and MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB 973688).Would this be service pack2?I did not see service pack3 on this list.

Edited by bunnaag

Not a stupid Question at all, Ideally SP2 on a disc would be nice, if you dont have one on hand you can download SP2, beware though, it is a large download.

You can find the download on the windows update web page.

I have edited my question.Can you please have a look at it.

Thanks.Now a stupid question from a beginner.After removing service pack 3 do I have to get a CD to install service pack2?

I just saw on the remove programs list MSXML 4.0 (KB954430) and MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB 973688).Would this be service pack2?I did not see service pack3 on this list.

SP2 doesn't appear on your add/remove programs list as a service pack, instead it is composition of fixes - whereas SP3 shows as a service pack in it's own right. The programs you have listed represent only a part of the SP2 SP. It's a simple matter to download SP2 from MS.

Let us know whether the downgrade fixed it for you. Is it only me who thinks that the CAT statement is questionable? SP3 is out for about 1,5 years, shouldn't any incompatibilities be fixed by now?

Well, it's probably worth a try.

Btw if your Windows XP has been setup with a CD that had SP3 integrated (aka 'slipstreamed') then a downgrade is not possible via uninstalling SP3. You have to do a 'Repair Install' from a Windows XP SP2 CD. Google will tell you more.

Personally I would try to fix the problem by fixing the software or the driver involved than doing a downgrade. But not knowing anything specific about your problem and that specific modem/software I cannot really recommend anything. And since you didn't really ask for it I assume you already tried to fix it and it didn't work.

welo

The Novatel MC760 CDMA modem is a popular device used by many CDMA suppliers such as AT&T, Verison and Virgin.

If there was a problem with it and the compatibility with XP service pack 3 I am sure it would have been all over the net, but a google does not show anything.

I would ask CAT to talk to an engineer who is willing to help and not one who is sending you down a very dangerous route which will probably not solve anything

Edited by thaimite