Why Do Aussies Live In Thailand?

Anzac day may me think why is it many Australians choose to live in Thailand.

Australia is a huge continent with every variety and variation of geography and climate anyone could wish. There is a well functioning democracy, education and health service, the “best beer in the world”, world class rugby of both sorts, best cricket teams, tennis etc (too many sports!), Sheilas that can take your breath away, relative full employment.

Why, oh why, come to live or work in Thailand?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'ang on.

You're in England.

....yet thinking .....about why Australians want to live in Thailand.

You must have lots of unencumbered thinking time ! My mind seldom strays on to angles like that.

Edited by The_Moog

Australia is a huge continent with every variety and variation of geography and climate anyone could wish. There is a well functioning democracy, education and health service, the “best beer in the world”, world class rugby of both sorts, best cricket teams, tennis etc (too many sports!), Sheilas that can take your breath away, relative full employment.

Must be the beautiful Thai Women

totster :o

Anzac day was it? Judging by the time stamp, me thinks it was because of because of the conversation on this thread here .

And to answer your question...well because we can.

I'll give you one guess.

But I'm led to believe that nearly all Aussie girls are lean, athletic, sun-tanned and beautiful.

And if it's the other side of the bathroom you’re from, then Sidney ought to provide, in abundance, everything a young man needs, so I am told.

All Aussies don't look like Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman who were both actually born in the US.

A British Empire penal colony just over a century ago doesn't make for attractive genes.

But the real reason Aussies leave is Dame Edna.

Edited by thaiaan

But I'm led to believe that nearly all Aussie girls are lean, athletic, sun-tanned and beautiful.

You've been watching too much television mate! :o

Have you ever been "down-under"? :D

Just to add to Samrans post and some of the good reasons in the referenced thread, tax is also a major reason for me living and working in Thailand. Aussi tax is a killer! :D

And just one more... I actually enjoy working with and teaching/mentoring the Thai engineers that work for me. I get some personal gratification out of watching someone develop not only in their knowledge and approach to work, but also in their attitude towards others. I've been proud to observe some of my engineers refusing to take sh1t from other Thais... as they used to do 3 years ago. :D

“best beer in the world”

Don't know whether to laugh or be sick so I'll do this: 555555555555555555555555555 :D 55555555555555555555555

:o:D

Women lean and beautiful? Must've been in the wrong part then, try New Zealand for the chicks. Saying that, I'll admit there are some stunners but Muang Thai has them everywhere.

Quote  - Thaiann.....A British Empire penal colony just over a century ago doesn't make for attractive genes.

Get ya facts right before you open your mouth.....

Exactly. Only the exconvict soap dodgers were sent there and a few 10quid immigrants. :o

Edited by chuchok

Quote  - Thaiann.....A British Empire penal colony just over a century ago doesn't make for attractive genes.

Get ya facts right before you open your mouth.....

A penal colony is a colony used to house prisoners. The British Empire's use of parts of Australia provides a classic example.

Although the Dutch discovered the Australian continent in 1770, the first ship of English convicts bound for Australia did not leave England until 1787, after the British lost the American colonies and decided to use Australia as a penal colony.

Prisoners were sent far away to discourage escape (or even return after sentence-expiry), and to places otherwise inhospitable where their (unpaid) labour could rebound to the metropole's advantage before later bulk "free" immigration became viable. In this way, the British got rid of criminals and prostitutes by shipping them to North America as indentured servants. When that avenue closed in the 1780s after the American Revolution, Britain switched the destination to what later became parts of Australia: Norfolk Island, Van Diemen's Land and New South Wales.Britain considered the island continent uninhabited because the aborigines were a nomadic people and therefore by definition uncivilized. Consequently, in the grand tradition of colonizers, Britain regarded the natives as heathens and savages.

Awkward advocates of Irish Home Rule or of Trade Unionism (the Tolpuddle Martyrs) received sentences of transportation and joined the thieves and embezzlers and prostitutes in remote Australian colonies.

It was not until a gold rush in 1851 that civilian settlers came in mass quantities. Later, in the 1850’s, it was necessary that Britain put in place a more structured government, which caused the immigration of convicts to begin to ebb.

^^^ Now you've done it! :D

Let the games begin. :D

I'm not biting. :D

Spoil sport. :D

:D

I think that one thread on that particular subject is enough, don't you? :D

Besides, I'm running out of fresh material! :o

Its true, there really should be nothing driving Aussies away from the homeland, except for one thing - TAX.

But we all return eventually, laden with our foreign low-tax bounty.

Okay sing along now....no matter how far or wide i roam,....

I understand PERFECTLY. :o The four months I spent working in Melbourne was the longest four months in my life. I had to go to McDonald's to get a hamburger I could eat and I HATE McDonald's. :D