Why Do Aussies Live In Thailand?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its true, there really should be nothing driving Aussies away from the homeland, except for one thing - TAX.

But we all return eventually, laden with our foreign low-tax bounty.

Okay sing along now....no matter how far or wide i roam,....

The Australian Federal Police sent three photographs of a man wanted for tax evasion to their Thai counterparts, saying that they had reason to believe that he had escaped to Thailand. The photos were front face and two side shots.

Three weeks later the Thai Police sent back a message: "We got the fellow in the middle, but we are still looking for the other two."

But I'm led to believe that nearly all Aussie girls are lean, athletic, sun-tanned and beautiful.

And if it's the other side of the bathroom you’re from, then Sidney ought to provide, in abundance, everything a young man needs, so I am told.

You obviously did not watch that classic Ozzy series, Prisoner(cell block H)

Quote  - Thaiann.....A British Empire penal colony just over a century ago doesn't make for attractive genes.

Get ya facts right before you open your mouth.....

A penal colony is a colony used to house prisoners. The British Empire's use of parts of Australia provides a classic example.

Although the Dutch discovered the Australian continent in 1770, the first ship of English convicts bound for Australia did not leave England until 1787, after the British lost the American colonies and decided to use Australia as a penal colony.

Prisoners were sent far away to discourage escape (or even return after sentence-expiry), and to places otherwise inhospitable where their (unpaid) labour could rebound to the metropole's advantage before later bulk "free" immigration became viable. In this way, the British got rid of criminals and prostitutes by shipping them to North America as indentured servants. When that avenue closed in the 1780s after the American Revolution, Britain switched the destination to what later became parts of Australia: Norfolk Island, Van Diemen's Land and New South Wales.Britain considered the island continent uninhabited because the aborigines were a nomadic people and therefore by definition uncivilized. Consequently, in the grand tradition of colonizers, Britain regarded the natives as heathens and savages.

Awkward advocates of Irish Home Rule or of Trade Unionism (the Tolpuddle Martyrs) received sentences of transportation and joined the thieves and embezzlers and prostitutes in remote Australian colonies.

It was not until a gold rush in 1851 that civilian settlers came in mass quantities. Later, in the 1850’s, it was necessary that Britain put in place a more structured government, which caused the immigration of convicts to begin to ebb.

Got your dates a tad wrong there ol' mate. Cook landed in 1770 and the first convicts landed in about 1788. The Dutch discovered Oz in the early 17th century and some frogs and Portuguese reckon they discovered it sooner than this.

Anyway, the Abos were there before the lot of us and are the true earth people. We are not earth people and are some sort of amalgamation between a little green bastard and an Abo so we'd have to ask the Abos if the sheilas are spunky or not.

At the end of the day, Oz is a gorgeous country but is full of Aussies, the beer is shit and is actually only lager, and the reason they're all over here is because the Aussie girls are too rough for 'em. :o

But I'm led to believe that nearly all Aussie girls are lean, athletic, sun-tanned and beautiful.

And if it's the other side of the bathroom you’re from, then Sidney ought to provide, in abundance, everything a young man needs, so I am told.

Oh NOooo!!! The nightmares.... :o

pcbh8iv.jpg

Oh NOooo!!! The nightmares.... :D

pcbh8iv.jpg

Thats Bee! :o:D

Oh NOooo!!! The nightmares.... :D

pcbh8iv.jpg

Thats Bee! :D:D

Queen Bee biatch. Actually she was a good un but I bet she'd take some f***ing...uh, I mean fighting. :o

Greatest sporting nation on the planet (aka Australia) has everything going for it, but Thailand is raw, and living in a country that is not as structured and manipulated, is exhilerating.

Edited by Tornado

on the other hand why do so many Yanks go to live in Thailand

If you listen to the yanks they tell you that the US is number one for everything, best at everything, they have a world series for just Americans how impressive is that, they are the land of the free, we are just girt by sea,

if you listen to the yanks that is.....

:o:D:D

Anzac day may me think why is it many Australians choose to live in Thailand.

Australia is a huge continent with every variety and variation of geography and climate anyone could wish. There is a well functioning democracy, education and health service, the “best beer in the world”, world class rugby of both sorts, best cricket teams, tennis etc (too many sports!), Sheilas that can take your breath away, relative full employment.

Why, oh why, come to live or work in Thailand?

To get away from all the Brits who go to Oz for all the things you just mentioned. :o

Looking up the definition of "continent" leads to links to the "Seven Continent" as pointed out above, it also leads to the following definition for the continent of Australia:

a nation occupying the whole of the Australian continent; aboriginal tribes are thought to have migrated from southeastern Asia 20,000 years ago; first Europeans were British convicts sent there as a penal colony

I prefer to live in Thailand because I enjoy the lifestyle in Thailand. My half Thai 9 year old told me she did not want to live in Australia because there were "too many rules"...!

I prefer to live in Thailand because I enjoy the lifestyle in Thailand. My half Thai 9 year old told me she did not want to live in Australia because there were "too many rules"...!

Ha ha, the wisdom of kids! :o

I am 30 years older and that is why I live in Thailand and not Oz, although I was planning to until I came here.

Apart from all the other good replies there is one more draw card for me. I am drinker and have drunk in bars all over the world. In Pattaya I am in bar paradise, I got about 1,500 beer bars, go go clubs, night clubs, shop fronts etc. etc. to go to. The music is great, the shows are great and the bar girls take care of you as a customer, the service is bloody fantastic.

I was in a beer bar one night when it started pissing down like I never seen before and all the old guys at the table at the edge were getting rained on. The owner of the bar got an umbrella and held it over the old guys so they didn't get wet whilst the bar girls arranged another table for them. Could you imagine that happening in Australia? Never in a million years.

In Australia drinking is a boring load of crap, a place as big as Pattaya would only have about 6 bars and they are usually choc a block all the time. You queue to pay double the price for a beer and have to speak with a bar maid who really doesn't want to serve you and wishes you would piss off. You have to *ask* a bar usefull to clean your table or just do it yourself. Bars in Australia are sh*thouse. As an expat mate of mine once said, "you know and I know what it's like here and that's why we are here". :o

To RC, I always thought Aus was an Island Continent. :D

Back to the OP's Q.

A. Cheap house rentals, beautiful women, nice friendly natives, great food, low cost of living a very diferent culture, no radical Mozzies north of Pattani

In areas of Sydney we get the feeling that the Lebanese have taken over our country.

Last night the local, young Imam bragged on radio and TV that women got raped in Aus because of their dress, ie. it was their fault :o

With that kind of mentality, I worry about the future in Aus, this idiot was a teacher in the local mosque!

The Lebanese are the worst immigrants we have ever allowed into Aus.

I can't wait to get back to LoS, with all its faults. :D

I have to admit that Australia has one thing found no where else in the world. That is The Great Barrier Reef. It is spectacular beyond words and totally ruined my diving anywhere else. Nothing can compare.

To RC, I always thought Aus was an Island Continent. :D

The Lebanese are the worst immigrants we have ever allowed into Aus.

I can't wait to get back to LoS, with all its faults. :D

Because of all the lager, Australia is incontinent.

The Lebs aren't all that bad, personally I only have a problem with the butch ones. :o

Anzac day may me think why is it many Australians choose to live in Thailand.

Australia is a huge continent with every variety and variation of geography and climate anyone could wish. There is a well functioning democracy, education and health service, the “best beer in the world”, world class rugby of both sorts, best cricket teams, tennis etc (too many sports!), Sheilas that can take your breath away, relative full employment.

Why, oh why, come to live or work in Thailand?

An Aussie wannabe or a 10 pound pom?

I have to admit that Australia has one thing found no where else in the world. That is The Great Barrier Reef. It is spectacular beyond words and totally ruined my diving anywhere else. Nothing can compare.

Ningaloo Reef on the west coast, or the reefs off the coast of Belize?

Best places in Oz are the west coast in general and Byron Bay on the east coast. Cities ain't much to look at, although a notch up from Yank ones, and the flies are incessant. Other than that, alright for a holiday :o

It makes me laugh, all the comments here are great, tongue in cheek, taking the piss etc. So someone now post regarding the usa and see what happens  :o

I would say us Aussies owe the yanks a post  :D

Go on Torny... start it!!! :D

But I never met a yank that can laugh at himself the way we can. :D

:D

It makes me laugh, all the comments here are great, tongue in cheek, taking the piss etc. So someone now post regarding the usa and see what happens  :o

I would say us Aussies owe the yanks a post  :D

Go on Torny... start it!!! :D

But I never met a yank that can laugh at himself the way we can. :D

:D

OK then, its up now :D

Sorry, I'm just a Brit who happened across this topic. We Brits only find anything by accident or when we're lost.

Seems to me that the Aussies live in LOS for the same reasons as anyone else - fabulous people, sensible taxes, cheap living and minimal governmental interference in everyday life (compared with the UK, anyway). I've been around the world a fair bit, but have never felt about anywhere the way I feel about LOS.

Anyway, Brits have two other particular reasons: the weather and Tony Blair.

By the way gburns, sorry to defend the Yanks but the World Series was a tournament originally sponsored by The World newspaper (long since defunct), and not a reference to the global nature of the sport.

Anyway, the only sport worth discussing is rugby - about the only thing I miss about the UK. (God is a loose-head prop).

Sorry, I'm just a Brit who happened across this topic. We Brits only find anything by accident or when we're lost.

Seems to me that the Aussies live in LOS for the same reasons as anyone else - fabulous people, sensible taxes, cheap living and minimal governmental interference in everyday life (compared with the UK, anyway). I've been around the world a fair bit, but have never felt about anywhere the way I feel about LOS.

By the way gburns, sorry to defend the Yanks but the World Series was a tournament originally sponsored by The World newspaper (long since defunct), and not a reference to the global nature of the sport.

Anyway, the only sport worth discussing is rugby - about the only thing I miss about the UK. (God is a loose-head prop).

Sorry to correct you,but God is a tight head prop. :o:D

Well I'm going to have to disappoint you both. God is a Welsh three quarter, soon to be demonstrated on the playing fields of NZ.

Well I'm going to have to disappoint you both. God is a Welsh three quarter, soon to be demonstrated on the playing fields of NZ.

Backs don't count.They are there to make up the numbers and I don't care what country we are talking about.They should be all wearing skirts IMO.

I take it you are talking about a Mr Jones?Not as good as G Davies was... :D