Green Book

Pattel

I have a friend who had his girlfriend leave him. The car was in her name and she took the Green Book with her and went back to the village.

So that's the problem, he has the car but no Green Book and the car has sat there gathering dust for the last 3 years. She will not give him the book back.

Does anybody know how he can regain control of his car.

Edited by Pattel

One day the police will come and pick the vehicle up. It belongs to her. That happened to a guy that I know. He bought and paid for a pickup truck but put it in her name. He was driving it until the day the police picked it up.

Why has it been gathering dust for the last three years? She owns it, won't sell it and doesn't use it?? Aren;t you allowed to drive it? She has the keys I guess. Push it out onto the road and leave it here. You may have paid for it but it isn'tyour car - as far as I'm concerned it's not your responsibility if something "happens" to it.

If the car is parked in you're property have it towed away and hauled to the police impound yard or down to a vacant lot. Let her worry about it. If it's on you're property and something happens to it she will blame you.

If the "bluebook" is listing her as the owner than not much you can do.

Normally cars have blue books, motorbikes have green ones. What kind of 'car' is it? Normally, whoever got the book owns the vehicle.

Not having a car (or ever had one in Thailand) I thought all books were green ,didn't realise that cars had a different colour book.

The car is parked on private land (not his). I will pass on your suggestions. I like the one about moving it on to the road and leaving it for her to worry about, after the BiB tow it away.

Normally cars have blue books, motorbikes have green ones. What kind of 'car' is it? Normally, whoever got the book owns the vehicle.

Not having a car (or ever had one in Thailand) I thought all books were green ,didn't realise that cars had a different colour book.

The car is parked on private land (not his). I will pass on your suggestions. I like the one about moving it on to the road and leaving it for her to worry about, after the BiB tow it away.

Actually you can't touch it. If you want to move it to the road, you have to aks her for permission. You can't do anything, specially if you don't hyave the keys. She can sue you for what ever youi doing. Therefore it don't understand, whe guys allways register cars in their girls name. In your homecountry you wouldn't do it either.

I would call the BIB and report this vehicle is parked on my property illegally. Have them come and write a police report. Tell them you have tried to get the "owner" to move the car but they have refused and you want them to tow it away. I would say this will cover the legal aspects.

Wasn't there a case reported here where a guy had paid for the vehicle, though this was on finance, but in his partner's name. On split up, she claimed the vehicle, though the court eventually decided that it was his and ordered it transferred to him, it having been in her name only because he could not get the finance in his name. Not exactly the same but the principle of who paid for it would appear to be the underlying point, not the name on the book.

If this OP's friend could make a case that he did pay for the vehicle and that it was in her name either because of previous finance or that he was told it could not be placed in his name, then perhaps he could gain control of the vehicle or have another book made up.

A long shot I guess but what other option is there ? Either that or he walks away.

Wasn't there a case reported here where a guy had paid for the vehicle, though this was on finance, but in his partner's name. On split up, she claimed the vehicle, though the court eventually decided that it was his and ordered it transferred to him, it having been in her name only because he could not get the finance in his name. Not exactly the same but the principle of who paid for it would appear to be the underlying point, not the name on the book.

If this OP's friend could make a case that he did pay for the vehicle and that it was in her name either because of previous finance or that he was told it could not be placed in his name, then perhaps he could gain control of the vehicle or have another book made up.

A long shot I guess but what other option is there ? Either that or he walks away.

Buying a vehicle cash in gf name is a gift.

Buying a vehicle on finance in gf name, and being able to proof downpayment and each payment has been done with your funds (cashier checks payed by you or transfers from your account), could work in court. Court is 1-5 years. This vehicle has been sitting for 3 years...

• 2 weeks later...

You've given the best answer so far.

It happened to my friend. After paying for 3 years out of the four they got the finance for, her family seized the car, but he was the one paying for it, and he had proof. He went to the finance company, and the car was transfered to his name.

Even if you buy in your girl's name, simply make sure that you have proof of all payments made. I pay for mine through direct debit.