Cost Of Electricity In Bkk..?

ChrisP

We are renters... and I know that Apartment Owners (in big buildings) can and will charge their own price for your Electricity - they tack it onto your rent bill... but I want to know if we are being ripped off, or if it's reasonable.

We are in Din Daeng, and charged at 4.5baht / unit.

What is the "regular" price per unit from the BKK power company if you own your own place, etc...?

Thanks

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

Utilities

In all above cases, even serviced apartments, electricity has to be paid extra. When a house is rented, the tenant usually pays the electricity company directly and himself. The price per kilowatt is set in Thailand by the National Energy Policy Committee. According to a revised scheme which was put into effect December 1, 1991 and which is intended to remain in effect for three years, charges for electricity depend on a number of factors, for example whether the consumption is for private use or for business, and if it is for business, then for what kind.

Even for private consumption of electricity, there is no uniform rate. Households consuming 10 kilowatts per months pay less than 1 Baht per kilowatt; with a consumption of more than 40 kilowatts per month, the rate starts being more expensive than 1 Baht per kilowatt. With a consumption of 100 kilowatts, the rate is 1.35 Baht; with a consumption of 500 kilowatts, the rate is 1.80 Baht; with a consumption of 1000 kilowatts, the rate is 2 Baht; and with a consumption of 2000 kilowatts, the rate is 2.22 Baht.

Electricity bills are in Thai only and what foreigners normally can decipher is just how much they have consumed and how much they have to pay.

Apartments are equipped with individual meters and the tenant is billed according to consumption. But most of the time the apartment owners charge the tenants a higher kilowatt rate than they pay themselves. 5 Baht per kilowatt is not uncommon.

A normal Thai household that does not use aircon will have a monthly electricity bill of 200 to 500 Baht. Foreigners will often pay considerably more, not only because they pay higher rates in apartments but also because they use power-hungry appliances: aircon as well as electric water heaters.

apparently there is no uniform rate :o

Have a look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=32112

Electricity cost formula:

First 150 units @ 1.8047 baht = 270.705

Next 250 units @ 2.7781 baht = 694.525

Next xxx units @ 2.9780 baht = ???.???

+ standing charge...................... 40.9 baht

+ FT (fuel tax?) =........... units*0.4328 baht

Everything charged at 7% VAT

e.g. 530 units: 1736.24 baht

My bill is usually within 0.01 satang of the amount I calculate using this formula. :o

Have a look here:

My bill is usually within 0.01 satang of the amount I calculate using this formula. :D

all good here RDN but for the FT*units that one can't predict :o

Have a look here:

My bill is usually within 0.01 satang of the amount I calculate using this formula. :D

all good here RDN but for the FT*units that one can't predict :D

Yes, the FT went up from .3828 to .4328 last October. Easy way for the Government to get some extra cash :D .

Odd that "FT" are the only Roman (i.e. non-Thai) letters on my Thai bill :D Are they trying to blame the farangs again? :o

Unfortunately it's common for the landlord to add up to 50% to your unit price. The average unit price is about 3.1 baht thus if you are paying 4.5 baht he has added almost 50%. Is it a ripoff? Definitely but they all do it.

Odd that "FT" are the only Roman (i.e. non-Thai) letters on my Thai bill :D Are they trying to blame the farangs again? :o

I love the system :D

*down at EGAT*

"Hey guys this month we need a few extra milions for [put expenditures here]

so new FT for this period will be of 0.xxxx"..

*voice in background*

huh? what's that Somchai? You need a new minor wife? ok! ok! please change FT to read 0.xxxy..

.. guys? are we're all good with this number now? yes.. ok then lets do it!

*noise of billing printers picking up in the background*

between 4 and 5 bht per unit. that's what i paid for short term rental. Checked the electricity meter every now and then to pretend them cheating me. Nevertheless I was surprised to have a Bht 2000,00 bill for 1 month (45 squ.mtr-condo) even though I never ever turned on air/con. I think the oversized 20 year old fridge was main reason for such high monthly cost...

between 4 and 5 bht per unit. that's what i paid for short term rental. Checked the electricity meter every now and then to pretend them cheating me. Nevertheless I was surprised to have a Bht 2000,00 bill for 1 month (45 squ.mtr-condo) even though I never ever turned on air/con. I think the oversized 20 year old fridge was main reason for such high monthly cost...

2k seems a tad harsh for the size of gaff you occupy

for me: <2k baht/mo running a/c at night in 1 b/r plus more or less same ole' fan, computer, hotwater heater (not now though - wish water came out of the spout a touch cooler) - and no antiquated fridge chewing up the watts :o