Big Problems With True

girlx

I have ADSL with True. I keep having the same problem over and over. I install the modem, it works fine for awhile, and then one day I go to connect and every time it says the phone line is busy. Test the line directly, it's fine. Occasionally it will connect, but it is definitely not at the normal speed, and it always drops off in less than a minute. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Had problems getting it to install because it says it can't read the install driver (?) even though I have more than one install cd and that should not be the case with all of them. Did a system restore to get back to my original configuration. Clicked on the True icon on my desktop to connect and it says "page not found". So I created a new connection via Windows, tried that, same problem, busy, if it connects at all it hangs up after a minute. Meanwhile, I have two different Lan connections showing up in my system tray- one of which says "limited or no connectivity" but still attempts every minute or so to get an IP even though I am not connected. I tried again to uninstall, it says it can not uninstall my modem because it is unable to read the install file. And I can not reinstall for the same reason. I called True, and they are no help at all. The best they can do is send out a rep to my house in a week or so. They don't have any sort of support online either... Does anyone have any advice as to what I can do to fix this? My job depends on my internet connection. Thanks

Would help if you could tell us which modem you are using and via which connection type (eg. USB?). Also, which version of windows?

Have you tried deleting the modem through Control Panel, System, Device Manager?

Do you have a network setup whereby there are 2 or more PC's connected?

So many questions... let's hope we can get you some answers!!

I am using the USB modem that they give you with their ADSL service. My OS is Windows XP (Pro) and it is not on a network, just my laptop. I did try deleting the modem via Device Manager, but it does not appear in Device Manager. Instead it is just a solo entry in the Control Panel menu (same level as Phone and Modem options but not within that folder), and there is no option to delete it. True's literature says to uninstall via the Start>Programs> True route, but when I hit uninstall it says it can not because it can not read the install file.

I think I show 2 Lan connections because one is the actual connection and one is the modem... it's confusing to me why two would show up and why the one (modem) is constantly seeking an IP whether connected or not. Prior to my having this problem, it did not do this.

Thanks for any advice

I think that you might well have a virus that is trying to hijack your system as I have not seen or heard of anything like what you describe.

take out your hard drive and plug it into someone elses computer and then scan the entire hard drive at http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/global/enterprise.htm

Look down the page for the free online scan. Do not trust other virus scanners as they might not be up to date.

That's how it sounds to me, but from your description it is hard to imagine what could be wrong. If you post up what part of Bkk/Thailand you are in maybe someone here who lives near will go take a look.....

i recently had a hard drive failure and had to go to pantip to buy a new one. got it home and realized it wasn't new because it already had windows 98 installed on it. had no choice but to keep it since i needed a working laptop right away, so i installed XP on it and have been using it for about 2 weeks. the problem just now showed up. do you think it could be a virus which was already on my hard drive? if so, AVG doesn't find it.

You are not alone. True's serice in certain parts of Bangkok is hit and miss at the best of times. At present, I can connect with my ADSL no problem but the connection last for no more than one minute - after which I need to reconnect - only to be disconnected in another minute. I do not think it is a virus. I do not have any virus. It is TRUE.

I've had True (2.5mbs) since January. Never had problems (except a couple of times where there is no throughput for acouple of minutes.

The only problem was two nights ago (see thread Major True Outage).

Except that can't complain.

Girlx, I suggest you ask True to send a technician. It won't cost you more than THB 500, but make sure he doesn't leave before the problem has been solved.

Do the virus scan I recommended - it is better and more up to date than avg (IMO) Sometimes one virus scanner pick up things that others don't. The online scan is good as it is always up to date.

I do not think that the problem is on the TRUE end. More likely it is your phone line or adsl phone splitter (where the phone line splits to your modem and phone)

I think I show 2 Lan connections because one is the actual connection and one is the modem...

This is correct. I find that this happens when I don't have the Windows firewall up. The reason for your problem is probably the obvious one (Occam's Razor), which is True. Since their fiddling around with their system a few nights back, my daytime international Internet connection speed has decreased dramatically. Do I blame that on some quirk on my computer, or do I look for a simpler answer. You'd think that after as long as True has been offering hi-speed Internet access, they'd have the bugs sorted out.

Yes, speeds went down. I tried to download and speed didn't come above 30 kB/s.

I enabled a third party proxy server in my download manager and suddenly it shut up to over 100 kB/s.

I guess the True proxy server slows everything down.

Edited by sniffdog

Well, TRUE again. I have one BIG problem with TRUE. They have appartly decided to block all https traffic. meaning I can't access hotmail, gmail or even Windows update anymore. But if I connect to my company VPN first, all works fine going via CS Loxinfo leased line.

anybody else have this problem.

Oh and BT don't work at all anymore, connection to the tracker has also been blocked now.

:o:D:D:D

Edited by kmhbkk

i wiped my computer and reinstalled everything, tested my phone line, and i returned my old ADSL modem and got a new one... still have the same problem. i can rarely connect at all but when i do it cuts off (says the modem lost the signal) after about one minute. rarely i can get on for like an hour before it cuts off. True is absolutely unsympathetic and has not helped me in the least. Guess it's time to move to a competent service.

hey sniffdog, how do you enable a 3rd party proxy?

The problem, by the sound of it, it the phone line itself. If at all possible you should try rewiring it all the way from the mini-exchange to your house. If the line has bad/old/worn/damp connections it can cause the problems you are talking about. I do not think the fault lies with the TRUE adsl service. But of course it is TRUE that is responsible for your phone line too.....

==============================================

They have appartly decided to block all https traffic

If you access 'https' make sure you don't have a proxy server enabled.

They have appartly decided to block all https traffic

If you access 'https' make sure you don't have a proxy server enabled.

I don't have any proxy enabled. And also they have only disabled https outside Thailand. I can still get into my Internet banking at my Thai bank, but not able to use gmal or Windows update.

At the moment it seems that True have taken off their net nanny, but they have configured their network so as to prevent P2P connexions. I can't get a link with either WinMx or Morpheus. Is this some plot to stop downloads. In addition I am unable to get into the chat room at Galifreyone.com, it keeps coming up with error connecting to server. I wonder?