Talc And Small Children

doctormann

I'm not sure that this is really a Buddhism topic - it may be completely unrelated and I certainly would not wish to offend anyone - but I have a question.

I often see small children with what seems to be talcum powder smeared on their faces - and maybe on other bits that I can't see. I could understand this as a skin conditioning measure if the kids involved were on their way to bed but this seems to happen quite early in the evening and can be observed out in the streets and in restaurants. In the country districts it seems to happen a lot but rather less so where there are a lot of farangs around (e.g. Pattaya).

Is there any religious significance to this? I know that talc is part of the purification process of Songkran but I see this all year round? It does make the kids look a bit bizarre to say the least.

:o

I think the talc is just to keep the kids sweat-free and cool. When I lived in the back-alleys of Sukhumvit Soi 22 I would often see adults with talc on their faces. Perhaps the habit is disappearing from urban areas like Bangkok and Pattaya now.

i noticed in the house/stores in issan,that the talc many times has anti UV mixed in and but was told it would keep them light skinned (my thai worker did same until i gave him real sunscreen since our talc does not have anti UV in it and not all in thailand have it in it).... i think the original was maybe clay smeared on the kids against sun etc and for luck (maybe ceremonial) before talc ever came to thailand but dont remember where i saw or heard that?

i've noticed the guys do that also at birthdays and also when playing hi/lo or cards... everyone gives me a different answer (maybe not wanting to explain or maybe tradition w/o out explanation having gotten lost over time....they also use talc after shower, they like the scent they told me (their reasoning as to why farangs smell: dont use talc after showers together with deoderant etc etc)

RE Children - My wife says it is so they smell nice. She often puts talc on her sisters boy while he's having his afternoon nap, " to keep the flies away". :o:D

Why they leave it so prominantly smeared on their faces I don't know, maybe it is so they "look" clean also. I think it also looks quite cute. :D

Also I noticed whilst living in my wifes village is that the women also do the same, my theories are -

1) It makes them look "whiter"

2) It shows they have showered and are clean.

3) It smells nice.

totster :D

I dont think it has any religious significance. Talcum absorbs perspiration and helps avoid heat rash. Children with their delicate skin are more susseptable to heat rash. With my infant son we find that we have to powder him up about 3 times per day during the hot weather.

I agree that it does look a bit bizare when you come from a cooler climate where you dont see this. When you have small children a hot climate and dont use air conditioning you begin to understand the logic of it.

tots, i';m sure your right but not a buddhist thing but an older ritualistic thing but not with talc but clay/chalk smeared on the face....

but nowadays people dont have chalk/clay so talc works as well....

will now obsessively try to track this down as well...i know i;ve seen it but cant remember.... the problems of internet with compulsive collectors of info like me is we lose track.... i need a library of congress system for info collecting already...

did find quotes about superstitions and put it in other thread about 'senseless thai myths' thread see my reference there to possibilities about talc etc there (covering body with scented water to make good thoughts bla bla...

actually not senseless but based on some reasoning or other but it drives me crazy that no body can give an answer ; doesnt somebody know a really old old person from the up country that might know the answer??

did find quotes about superstitions and put it in other thread about 'senseless thai myths'  thread see my reference there to possibilities about talc etc there (covering body with scented water to make good thoughts bla bla...

That'll have something to do with the scented water we made up to pour over the Buddha images and monks during songkran then... will it...? :o

totster :D

I dont think it has any religious significance. Talcum absorbs perspiration and helps avoid heat rash. Children with their delicate skin are more susseptable to heat rash. With my infant son we find that we have to powder him up about 3 times per day during the hot weather.

I agree that it does look a bit bizare when you come from a cooler climate where you dont see this. When you have small children a hot climate and dont use air conditioning you begin to understand the logic of it.

yes, it is baby powder...in burma i noticed they all had clay/mud on their faces and it is for sunscreen.

i think the original was maybe clay smeared on the kids against sun etc and for luck (maybe ceremonial) before talc ever came to thailand

dont people ever read other peoples posts first? .... arh!

talc is easier nowadays than clay for sure

yes, it is baby powder...in burma i noticed they all had clay/mud on their faces and it is for sunscreen.

In Burma they're wearing a powder called thanaka, grated from the wood of the thanaka tree, not clay/mud.