Moving To Thailand With Personal Items?

I'm thinking seriously about moving there from the US. I've been there several times before but only on tourist & non-immigrant visas. Every time I entered the Kingdom in the past with anything they could tax me on, they did so heavily.

What would be the best visa to move there on considering I would be shipping a 20' container with personal items there, such as tools, clothing, books, some electronics, motorcycle parts, etc????

I'm nearing 49 years old, would waiting until I'm 50 & entering on a retirement visa be an option?

Appreciate any help on the subject!

Dan

Came here with a lot of personal items and used a receiving agent supplied by my State side shipper. Ironically their office was exactly one block away from where I ended up living here in Thailand, what are the chances of that??

I brought over about $5000 worth of tools alone, (had more and should have brought it) the majority of which was long time used as was most everything else. The listed insured amount concerned me and I was right to be concerned as it was what they used to value my belongings but the insurance value is replacement and not used value so I protested vigorously to the point of telling them to forget it and keep it and my receiving agent pressed the matter and eventually they relented and it only cost me a few thousand baht (6 years ago now I can't recall exactly) but the insurance value was $5000 so they were looking to equal that at minimum originally @#!$%&^.......

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'd insure as above advises on new for old

While good texties and made to measuse curtains silks wood handicrfts Many local thing's poor quality

Seyle taste vary but Tools its down to quality safety strenght and durabilty most stuff out of Bangkok is lo grade Cheinese and Indianf akes whatever the Logo Draper Stanley etc

Real imported stuff dear import dutiessmall demans and fakes at half price.

IMHO bring the ones you need treasure and insure

Most Thai workmen manage with flip flops machete and a hat

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I forgot to mention though, it was well worth it under the circumstances as replacement for most is impossible and cost for anything close in quality is impractical in the long run if you could even locate most of them.. Although many more are available here now then was available just 6 years ago..

Short answer yes... it would make sense to wait until you are 50, otherwise you will need to pay tax on everything.

Once you turn 50, get a 1 yr OA retirement visa from your home country, you can then clear the goods with duty free privilege (do long as you haven't been living in Thailand for years already- they will look at your passport).

But please remember that Thailand does not offer a blanket tax exemption on all items... the standard that is used is "what is required to set up your household in Thailand" and yes this is a very subjective standard that will differ depending upon the customs officer who is handling your case.

You best bet is to draft an invoice and give to your customs broker in Thailand to verify with Thai customs first.

• 2 weeks later...

At the PRESENT time you can get a OA retirement visa in the states prior to coming so waiting a extra year is not all bad. If you get the OA issued make sure you also get a multi entry as this way you can cross the border at the end of the first year and return which will give you in-effect two years in country with only having too do 90 days reports to immg.. which state are you from?

Correct me if I am wrong I thought that you first obtained a 90 day visa in your home country then after entering the Kingdom you apply for an extention ??? I will be coming in a about 9 months but will be doing it with a marrage visa . Is it possible to do evereything from your home country now ?

The Non Immigrant OA visa is only available in country of residence. It is for those over age 50 to spend retirement in Thailand. It is a pre-approved one year stay. It is not the same thins as a non immigrant O visa which provides a 90 day stay which you can then extend for one year inside Thailand. Several methods to stay long term.

Short answer yes... it would make sense to wait until you are 50, otherwise you will need to pay tax on everything.

Once you turn 50, get a 1 yr OA retirement visa from your home country, you can then clear the goods with duty free privilege (do long as you haven't been living in Thailand for years already- they will look at your passport).

But please remember that Thailand does not offer a blanket tax exemption on all items... the standard that is used is "what is required to set up your household in Thailand" and yes this is a very subjective standard that will differ depending upon the customs officer who is handling your case.

You best bet is to draft an invoice and give to your customs broker in Thailand to verify with Thai customs first.

Sorry, incorrect. I have handled 1,000s of shipments into Thailand and a retirement visa does not qualify for tax and duty free privilege for used household goods and personla effects. There are ways around the laws though. Anyone can PM me if interested.

Sorry to disagree with you as I have also handled personal effects shipments into Thailand and while a single entry 90 day retirement visa does not qualify for duty privileges, a 1 yr OA visa does... you may want to check with Thai customs again...

Around 6 month ago, we had a personal effects shipment for a German guy with a 1 yr OA visa shipping his goods to Thailand via Airfreight and we were able to clear under "personal effects". This was not using any "under the table" method, this was signed off by Thai customs.

That being said, I will readily admit that I do not have as much experience in this area as you (only been working in this field in Thailand for the last 3 & half years). This was the first personal effects shipment I had handled under retirement OA visa (all previous cases were for Thai national or Foreigner with WP), but it went through without any problems...

Edited by CWMcMurray

Sorry, incorrect. I have handled 1,000s of shipments into Thailand and a retirement visa does not qualify for tax and duty free privilege for used household goods and personla effects. There are ways around the laws though. Anyone can PM me if interested.

9 months ago mine did, and with no money under the table. All above board.