Paying For Girlfriend's Flight

kimamey

My Thai gf is coming to the UK in May, assuming she can get her visa. Once the visa is sorted we need to book flights. I've already seen the price difference between flying BKK to LON and LON to BKK but not much I can do about that unless someone knows something I don't. My real problem is that I would like to book and pay for the flights myself since I'm more used to this as my gf has only flown domestic for her work so she's never had to book herself. Whilst I can do this as far as I know you need to have the credit or debit card you use to pay with you when you check in. This of course won't be possible so it looks like I'll have to send her the money and she can book using her debit card. She doesn't have a credit card as apparently Thailand does things different to the UK. You need to be fairly well paid to get a CC unlike the UK where having less money and more debt means you're likely to be bombarded with requests to get another card.

Anyone else had this problem?

As always any other advice or experiences regarding flying a Thai to the west would be welcome. She speaks reasonable English but I realsie that things will be more difficult for her than me as I speak a language that is almost always spoken to some extent in international airports between BKK and the west.

you should check with the carrier (I suppose you are going to use Thai air?) give her the printed on-line itinerary with your

credit card info and amend a notarize letter stating your situation. Also sending your passport photo page will also be

helpful.

Both Thai and EVA air need to see the credit card on check in but I believe BA you can book it for her and dont need to show the card.

Also I recently booked a flight for my son with Jet Airways (an Indian airline) and they accept it as long as you send a photocopy of the card with a short letter stating that you give permission etc etc. Very cheap flight with them as well, via Mumbai.

Anyway it can be done, but unless you are 100% sure of the visa then dont book it before she has it in writing.

HL :)

Dont see why it should be any different spoonman....surely if you are using a company credit card then you will have the card with you anyway???

Or if you mean the company office has booked the flight for you then I guess you will need some sort of letter of authorisation from the company.

I am sure that an airline is not going to turn away any business if you are up front with them and arrange it all properly.

Happylarry, all my flights are paid for on a company credit card that I dont have access to, Ive never been asked for an authorization letter, I mainly fly with Thai/Emirates/Qantas, hence my surprise at what im reading in this thread.

Edited by Spoonman

Ok well maybe its different if its an official company thing , like I said, but if it is a general member of the public then only a couple of airlines will do it.

You mention Quantas, well as they are affiliated with BA then I expect they will be ok but anyway all you have to do is look at the airlines web sites and check out "payments" and you will see it stated there that the credit card holder must be flying as well or no go.

I dont know if they have had these rules all the time or just since all the security clampdowns after 9-11.

Some airline websites have a form you can fill in and fax to them if you are purchasing a ticket for another person using a credit card.

With some airlines it can also depend when the booking was made. If a long time in advance and the charge has been paid and not challenged.

:)

Yes. believe it or not, it is still possible for you to purchase a ticket for your daughter.

Also, believe it or not, she won't need to have the credit card for you to purchase an airline ticket for your daughter.

In Bangkok,or elsewher, it is still possible to use a ticket agent to purchase a ticket for your daughter. You can even pay for that ticket agent with your credit card. The agent will arrange for the ticket and verify that you paid for it. Once the agent gets the money; your credit card will do nicely, thank you; your daughter can pick up the ticket in London, or wherever she is.

All your daughter has to do is arrive at the airport in London, or wherever, and have the proper identification to prove her identity.

It's called a "third party ticket" and just about any travel agent can get you one.

She can pick up the ticket at the airline ticket reservation desk in the airport with the proper identification to prove her identity.

Now, repeat after me..."I do not need to purchase my airline tickets on-line". Repeat 100 times.

:D

P.S. I saved about 250 Euro on an Athens to Bangkok ticket by going through a ticket agent here is Greece as opposed to booking the same flight on-line.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Yes I dare say that if you use an agent then it would be ok, I have never done that.

Why is it that I feel that people are making out I am telling porkies. All you have to do is check their rules and conditions on their web sites.

AurthurPewty , was the credit card that you used to book on all those airlines in the same name as your passport? If the answer is yes then why would they ask you to see it???? But that is not what this thread is about....its about booking for a third party.

Yes, as one of the posters above mentioned already, you can use a ticket agent to purchase the ticket. Bangkok agents would be happy to accept your credit card or a bank transfer and then issue the ticket here. This is a standard ticket and not an e-ticket, so no proof of payment or card will be required at check-in.

Repeat another 1000 times "I do not need to purchase my ticket online!"

Another thing to note, is that your gf is going to have to show the ticket at the time of visa application. You should check your embassy website for all the documents required.

And, the final thing is that no, actually in Thailand Credit Cards are very easy to get and even low-level staff in our small company can afford them. If your gf is earning less that the minimum wage for that, she almost certainly doesn't have a proper job and you may need to start asking yourself some other questions.

I notice also that is cheaper to book in the UK so why not book the flight in the UK, BKK to LHR and LHR to BKK. I fly tomorrow with Jet via Mubai, I booked with STA travel, who sent me an electronic ticket, so it could be emailed and the flight £400 return, have a couple of hours each way in Mumbai. This is the way I plan to do it in the future to dove tail with my outward and return flights, one to pick her up and bring her and then one to return to the sun.

Another thing to note, is that your gf is going to have to show the ticket at the time of visa application. You should check your embassy website for all the documents required.

You should indeed check the advice from UK Visas, the advice used to be that you should not to purchase a ticket until the visa is granted, I'm pretty sure this is still the case.

You don't need a credit card to purchase any ticket. You can go to a travel agent and pay in cash if you want. Why are you so afraid of sending her the money for the ticket?

She need to have evidence, that she has booked/made a reservation for a return ticket, and a travel/health insurance for the duration of her stay, to get her visa in most embassies. She must have this, when she hand in the application. 

Edited by bellste

I notice also that is cheaper to book in the UK so why not book the flight in the UK, BKK to LHR and LHR to BKK. I fly tomorrow with Jet via Mumbai, I booked with STA travel, who sent me an electronic ticket, so it could be emailed and the flight £400 return, have a couple of hours each way in Mumbai. This is the way I plan to do it in the future to dove tail with my outward and return flights, one to pick her up and bring her and then one to return to the sun.

If the journey originates from Thailand you will still pay the higher rate, the cost is based on where the journey commences not where the ticket is purchased.

She need to have evidence, that she has booked/made a reservation for a return ticket, and a travel/health insurance for the duration of her stay, to get her visa in most embassies. She must have it, when she hand in the application.

But the OP is talking about travel to the UK where there is no such requirement for a return ticket and travel/health insurance at the application for Entry Clearance stage, though she might be asked for a return ticket on arrival in the UK.

Schengen States, on the other hand, require proof of confirmed travel and accomodation as well as travel insurance when the application is submitted.

if i were you i would check with ;

C H A W L A T R A V E L

Ground floor 22 Patpong 1, Near K-Bank Surawongse Road,

Bangkok 10500,

THAILAND

Tel.: +6622370990i

i have been using them for 30 yrs they are very reliable,

you can contact them by phone or mail ask for mrs Rani

you can send your creditcard details by mails she sends you

a fax with you fill in and fax or scan and send back to her

problem solved. she can also make reservation for your g/f

that's needed for her visa application. after she's granted her visa,

you follow procedure as above all problems solvefd.

good luck with your g/f visa

cliokchi

She need to have evidence, that she has booked/made a reservation for a return ticket, and a travel/health insurance for the duration of her stay, to get her visa in most embassies. She must have it, when she hand in the application.

But the OP is talking about travel to the UK where there is no such requirement for a return ticket and travel/health insurance at the application for Entry Clearance stage, though she might be asked for a return ticket on arrival in the UK.

Schengen States, on the other hand, require proof of confirmed travel and accomodation as well as travel insurance when the application is submitted.

Yes, as one of the posters above mentioned already, you can use a ticket agent to purchase the ticket. Bangkok agents would be happy to accept your credit card or a bank transfer and then issue the ticket here. This is a standard ticket and not an e-ticket, so no proof of payment or card will be required at check-in.

Repeat another 1000 times "I do not need to purchase my ticket online!"

And, the final thing is that no, actually in Thailand Credit Cards are very easy to get and even low-level staff in our small company can afford them. If your gf is earning less that the minimum wage for that, she almost certainly doesn't have a proper job and you may need to start asking yourself some other questions.

Maybe she has it wrong then or maybe a problem with translation or things may have changed. She works for the Ministry of Labour.

As for needing a ticket to get a visa that is definitely wrong as far as a UK visitors visa is concerned. The advice from the UK Border Agency is:

We strongly recommend that you do not buy a non-refundable ticket or confirm travel arrangements to come to the UK, until your visa application has been approved and you have received your visa. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/faqs/faqapplyforvisa/2967196

This is because you might not get the visa.

Had to buy a ticket for Mrs Samuiseagull just a few months ago here in the UK. Used FLIGHT CENTRE (any office in UK will do) I just paid for her ticket on my credit card. I gave them her full name, DOB and Passport Number and that was it. They emailed me her itinerery...I emailed her. She got the flight no problems at all.

Yes, i did pay a little extra (about £50) in comparison had the ticket been bought in Thailand but for peace of mind it was worth it. She flew with Qatar Airways. Check their (WORLDWIDE) website for baht total price and then compare here. No problems at all. Good luck :)

you should check with the carrier (I suppose you are going to use Thai air?) give her the printed on-line itinerary with your

credit card info and amend a notarize letter stating your situation. Also sending your passport photo page will also be

helpful.

I did consider using Thai Airways since being non stop it would avoid having her finding her way through a foreign airport (other than Heathrow/Gatwick) and of course the language of the staff and in any in flight entertainment not that is much from what I can tell. Trouble is non stop is more expensive anyway and Thai is even worse from what I can see. Not sure why it's so bad.

To OP - EVA are much better than Thai in my experience. They fly direct to LHR, have new aircraft and the price is competitive. They also use Thai as well as Taiwanese flight attendants.

You could potentially save £50-100 and fly with someone like Jet or Gulf but imo not worth the hassle and extra time involved with a stopover. Also, their product is not of the same standard.

Cheers.