Are thai-turtles territorial?

Cha Minnow

Today, outside my apartment complex, I noticed a large turtle heading straight for the main road; hence, I had to stop my daily routine and help him out.

I placed him in the grass, within 7 yards of a pair of turtles that I believe to have been setting-up shop to lay some eggs.

Did I do the turtle a dis-service by moving him out of immediate danger of the road, but then into perhaps a "territory" of two home-making turtles? Should I have just put him back in the polluted water of the Bangkok River?

Best wishes,

Lime Tea

Are you sure they were turtles and not tortoises.

As far as I know most turtles never make it past the beach.

Males spend there entire life in the sea after hatching. Females return to the same beach they hatched at to lay eggs , other than that always in the sea.

Thanks for the information Percy2. They were, perhaps, tortoises and not turtles. All I know is there was a big shell, 4 legs, and when I approached s/he hid in their shell :D

I live right near the big dirty river, so it is definetely not a beach. From the water there is a concrete ramp that goes up into a small roadway, and after several-hundred yards that road reaches a highly traffic-congested street. If the female's nature is to return to a beach than it could not have possibly been laying eggs, because this is a concrete jungle.

Since the tortoises were sitting in the same area for several days I assumed that they were making themselves a home, or something to that affect.

If your statement is true that males swim during the totality of their lives than I must have been carrying females.

Thank you for your expertise, Percy2. Do you happen to know if it is best that I put them back in the water, or is it O.K to leave them in a grassy area that is within a few yards of the water? I don't enjoy disrupting nature, but I would rather do that then see a squished tortoise in the road. :o With the threat of boats and polluted water I question whether, or not, I am helping or hindering.

Best wishes,

Iced Lime Tea

Given that we've not accurately assessed whether they are turtles or tortoises, I think it would be best if you didn't help them by dropping them back in the river.

They may not be able to swim, and if they are tortoises, there is every chance they didn't come from the river originally, and were merely near it. Throwing them in there would not be in their best interest.

Tortoises - this story reeks of tortoises.  Not sure why its on the forum either, but since it is...

...Iced Virgin Daiquiri - next time you see said beasties, pop out with the nearest digital camera, and pm me the pics.  I'll have a shot at identifying them.

Apart from that, percy2 and kernow have words of wisdom to be followed - turtles will hardly be traversing the dirty klongs of Thailand, and one doesn't put tortoises back in the river.

If there are concerns abut their safety and lack of road-sense, gently coerce them into the bushes and then leave them in peace to meet their own destiny.

4 legs gooood, 2 legs baaaaad.

You've got it, Sir SVB.  :o  When I have use of a digital camera, next week, I will send you the pictures of "said beasties."

Now I feel better that I put him/her in the grass. Something (the black film floating on the surface?) told me that it wouldn't be good to put it in the water.

Sorry if the question didn't belong in this forum. I just thought that since people were talking about avatars, tits, thai-dogs, and 'fitness rowing machines,' that a question about the local wildlife wouldn't be completely out-of-order or misplaced. :D

Best Wishes,

"Iced Virgin Daiquiri"