Wifi Router

whatchamacallit

I'm going to Tucom tomorrow to purchase a WiFi router - we live in an apartment and we also own another room (it's empty at the moment) accross the hallway (not too far about 60 meters). I want to be able to beam the signal from my apartment to this room accross the hallway... any suggestions which router to purchase and how much does it cost? I want to make sure it send a very clear and strong signal :-). Appreciate any input from you all.

Howdy Whatchama' old mate. Haven't caught up since that day at the Perth consulate but good to say hello here.

I went looking for some sort of 'AIR-CARD' on Friday down at the Star Computer place in Rayong so that I could get some kind of mobile broadband working on my laptop here.

I saw something made by ZyXEL in one place, but the fellow told me that it didn't have the drivers to run on Linux, so I went across the foyer to another shop and picked up another one by ZyXEL that looked like the right thing for 850thb.

Turns out, I made a wrong move, because the one I bought is (by the look of it) a wireless router, that would happily hook up to an USB port and allow other machines with the same to hook in (providing I had working ADSL connection which is all I was looking for in the beginning).

It's a ZyXEL G-202 USB stick router that I bought for 850 baht. I assume that you'll need two of them if you wish to connect an online system to a local system across the hall, but it's pushing the envelope regarding my IT knowledge to guarantee that this suggestion is gospel.

Let me know if the salesman can confirm that I know what I'm talking about, because it's basically by deduction that I realise that this thing I bought won't let me plug in an Happy DTAC simm card for mobile broadband, so it must therefore be a wireless router that looks like the one I wanted to buy.

@spoonman: My provider is 3BB (TTT) with 4MG (whatever that means) - I believe it doesn't matter who the provider is. I have a modem currently plugged into the back my my desktop.

@Crypt36: Thank you and will do :-)

@seanmoran: good to hear from you again buddy. I'm have a dedicated ADSL connection - so it should be much better than the Air-Card. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing at TUCOM - you know how vendors here in Thailand with their return policy - once you buy CANNOT Return it :-(.

I figure I will want to buy one with a range of 100 meters, and keep in mind the signal will have to go thru a couple of walls :-).

Give me a brand name to look for please - has anyone had success with a particular brand that they can recommend?

@spoonman: My provider is 3BB (TTT) with 4MG (whatever that means) - I believe it doesn't matter who the provider is. I have a modem currently plugged into the back my my desktop.

@Crypt36: Thank you and will do :-)

@seanmoran: good to hear from you again buddy. I'm have a dedicated ADSL connection - so it should be much better than the Air-Card. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing at TUCOM - you know how vendors here in Thailand with their return policy - once you buy CANNOT Return it :-(.

I figure I will want to buy one with a range of 100 meters, and keep in mind the signal will have to go thru a couple of walls :-).

Give me a brand name to look for please - has anyone had success with a particular brand that they can recommend?

Yes i currently use the D-Link Wireless ADSL Router Model No: DSL-2640T

I have it wired in to my condo and can get a signal from around 30 meters going through two walls, further than that the signal starts to get too weak.

Also bear in mind that the wireless device that you use needs to have a strong pick up as i've noticed that some laptops have a better pick up signal than others.

This router was recommended to me by an IT salesman that also had Zyxel also available but he said that they were'nt as good.

Cost: 2500bt

yes, D-Link is probably the biggest brand..

WI-FI routers are more or less same, as hard drives, just pick up one, perhaps not THE cheapest.. but they are dirt cheap now.

More important, after you power it up at home, do NOT forget to set access key and set the Admin password. So many routers are open, every time I'm in a bigger building I can log on to several open WIFI networks,

if you don't restrict the access to your WIFI box, your laptop can be accessed easyly, and your speed is seriously affected since other people will log on to your network. If not sure how this is done, ask sales people to set key and admin access at the shop, takes 2 min.

Have to agree that D-link is a very good brand. I would suggest that you first trek up to the top floor shop of TukCom to see what they have there and get an idea of the prices, as the smaller shops on the lower floor are a bit negotiable when it comes to price. I bought my current wireless router on the top floor, it's a Belkin and I'm quite happy with it. However mine is a B,G router and since you're in need of a 60m range, you will most likely have to buy a wireless-N router.

You are correct, I read your post wrong thinking you was after a WiFi modem/router.

Well, one important item is the guarantee, I know "This is Thailand", but TP Link maker offer a lifetime guarantee and have an agent repair shop on 3rd fllor of TUKCOM Computer shop and they change without any problems, (even after several years and several times!) .

As to the more expensive the better, well it depends on what package (download speed) you have with your ISP provider, I suggest 100Mbps is sufficient, unless you are a high speeder!!

Who is your Internet provider (ISP).
Edited by Pdavies99

If range is your main concern, buy a model you can adjust the power level on, and attach a directional antenna to. There's probably a few but the one I'm familiar with is the WRT54GL (Linksys). Install the alternative Tomato firmware, its better and allows you to increase power output (range). You can also unscrew the antennas and put others on (you will need to check the connector type to make sure it is compatible with whatever you buy).

Directional antennas are a bit tricky to find, you can get SMCs sometimes. You could also try one of the DIY tinfoil jobs if you were feeling creative and/or desperate.

I was just about to suggest the same route as the previous poster, linksys with tomato firmware. WRT54G(S) v1-4 are easier to find than the WRT54GL

Check http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato for more info on tomato and supported versions - remember that certain versions of the same model will be incompatible.

Tomato makes a very cheap router into a VERY powerful and customisable device, with the most important feature for your needs being the control over wifi strength.

Also as mentioned you can add high strength or omni-directional antennas.

However you may be better off running a cable anyway.

100m through walls is a long way for wifi. When you start increasing power levels you increase range but decrease signal quality and speed.

I have run large scale networks of directional antennas and routers - it's overkill for your situation, and you generally don't want to deal with it if you don't have to.

Get any Wireless-N router, and you should be set - if you computer can't do Wireless-N, get a USB stick that can. They are a little bit more expensive than plain old WiFi 802.11a/b routers, but they are perfect for your use case - they have a much better range and reception inside a building. Should easily do 60m if you place the router in a strategically good location. Near the door? Depends on how many concrete walls are in the way, really.

I've had many D-Links, generally pretty good performers but the software that comes with it is garbage - setup is a huge pain. So I'd recommend something else, maybe Belkin?

You can get a WRT-54GL, install Tomato on it, and add a directional antenna - but this is 802.11a/b, not N, so it will be a little worse to start with. Then you need a cable for the antenna, the antenna, and an adapter for the WRT54GL antenna port (different standards) which for a good directional antenna will cost you many thousand baht. Maybe 5000 or 6000. A good cable is expensive (yet you need it) and a good directional is also expensive. Plus the router you are looking at 8000 - 10,000 baht at least.

Try a Wireless-N - it might just work out of the box, for 4k baht, with minimal setup.

Edited by nikster