‘Concert To Shake The World’ New Hope For Tourism

george

‘Concert to Shake the World’ becomes new hope for Thai tourism

BANGKOK: -- It will involve 100 bands playing from midday to midnight, three domestic television channels, and satellite channels from around the globe, but the government hopes that extravagant nature of the ‘Concert to Shake the World’ on 7 May will remind the international community of Thailand’s enormous tourism potential.

Entitled more prosaically the ‘Bangkok Music Festival’, the concert is being organized by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Held at the Rajamangkala Stadium, with an audience capacity of 200,000, the concert is being touted as the new hope for Thailand’s tourism industry.

The concert, announced today by Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Somkid Jatusripitak following a meeting with Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Thepsuthin and senior officials from the TAT, is being held at a time when the government is keen to raise the nation’s tourism profile.

Mr. Somkid told reporters that the government recognised the need to create a good tourism reputation for the nation, and had asked Modernine TV – run by MCOT Public Company Limited (MCOT) – to publicize Thailand’s tourism image in conjunction with Channel 11 and ITV.

Under the publicity plans, Modernine TV will broadcast promotional slots on international channels, including China’s CCTV, Japan’s NHK Channel and France’s TV Five.

According to MCOT President Mingkhwan Sangsuwan, the sixth phase of Modernine TV’s tourism publicity programme will be launched in June, when the publicity slots will be broadcast daily on prime time domestic television.

The next four months will focus on around 30 tourism destinations across the country, with visitors to the destinations eligible to enter into a draw for prizes, including houses and cars.

Other incentives will include cut-price hotel rooms, train tickets, coach tickets and airfares.

A second reality TV slot will allow viewers to propose tourism attractions in the vicinity of their own homes.

The winning destinations will become part of the ‘Unseen Thailand’ campaign.

--TNA 2005-04-27

I would think that an event of this huge dimension would necessitate more than just 10 days to organize and effectively promote it???

I wish them all the luck, but I think they would be much more successful if they allocated a reasonable amount of time.

Have to agree with you there John. I would think that any decent artist would be already booked.... but it probably seemed like a good idea at the time :o . this is sure to make Thailand the HUB of music!!!!!!!!! :D

Concert To Shake The World. Bad naming that is....everyone knows the cause of the tsunami was a kinda big "shake".

A 200.000 cap stadium ? That would make it the biggest in the world...The Ramkamhang holds about 65.000 to my knowledge.

Hmmm, nothing on the TAT website :D

Google shows no hits on the first 3 pages :o

Does this concert really exist ???

T'would be really nice to know who will be playing and when.

But of course, TiT.

Bangkok Music Festival to boost tourism

Rajamangala National Stadium, Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Thailand plans to hold a major music festival in Bangkok on Saturday to help boost the country's tourist industry.

More than a hundred renown Thai bands will perform at the concert, "Bangkok, the City of Happiness", between midday and midnight on 7 May at the Rajamangala National Stadium.

The organisers, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), expect an audience of 200,000 at the event.

The concert will be broadcast live on MCOT’s Seed FM 97.5. The highlights of the event will be broadcast live on Modernine TV between 9 and 11 at night.

The Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra will open the concert. Other cabinet members including the Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Thepsutin will also attend the performance

--TNA 2005-05-04

I remember when SARS hit Toronto a couple years back, and folks thought of having a concert 'to promote tourism'. It actually DID do some good. (I'm certain they got around a half million for that concert)

But Toronto DID get the Stones ... and they allowed lots of time for planning (folks gotta get time off work and arrange transport if they want to go). And there were specials galore on housing and hotel rooms, etc.

I hope Thailand can pull this off. I hope it does some good. But it sounds as if the planning for this event is a wee bit shaky . . .