Pattaya's Failure To Enforce Laws And Regulations

chillibilly

With all the water accidents (and deaths) this tourist season in the Pattaya bay area, what does it take for city authorities to get serious about educating the owners/ drivers of these boats about safety and that the waterways are for the "ting tong". There are laws and regulations to go by.

Next, on Beach Road and Second Street there are these huge tourist busses that seem to think these major city streets are expressways. They do not slow down; meanwhile there are tourist who have difficulty crossing these two streets due to the steady flow of baht busses, speeding busses, motorbikes and such.... I am not surprised no one has been runned over yet...or is this kept out of the news?

I never see the Pattaya police stopping a speeding bus or SUV but clustered at corners stopping some poor motor bike driver checking to see if he has a helment or drivers licence. Don't they have the training or energy to stop something more important than a local or vacationer on a bike? What will it take to enforce the traffic rules (speed limits) in the city??? For someone to get runned over?

I never see the Pattaya police stopping a speeding bus or SUV but clustered at corners stopping some poor motor bike driver checking to see if he has a helment or drivers licence. Don't they have the training or energy to stop something more important than a local or vacationer on a bike?

If someone can't afford an SUV or a bus or even an helmet for the family motorbike, then it's probable that they can't afford a lawyer either. :)

I agree people behave like madmen on Sukhumvit. They should lock them up for a year for every violation.

I think the traffic within Pattaya isn't that bad though except that it's always stuck but that don't bother me and my mountainbike. Those bahtbus drivers can be a major annoyance and drive very dangerous when they wanna rush to the side for another 10thb. Nice to know what your life's worth to them!

You'll probably find that there are laws & regulations for all the OP's queries, it's just that there is no law enforcement on them, maybe the police are understaffed and under paid which is why they need to accumulate easy fines such as the motorbike violations which are easy money for them.

I would also think that all these problems start from the top, the government that funds the police and then all the corruption that filters down from there. Unless that is tackled then not much will ever change.

You'll probably find that there are laws & regulations for all the OP's queries, it's just that there is no law enforcement on them, maybe the police are understaffed and under paid which is why they need to accumulate easy fines such as the motorbike violations which are easy money for them.

I would also think that all these problems start from the top, the government that funds the police and then all the corruption that filters down from there. Unless that is tackled then not much will ever change.

Sometimes I think that there should be a 5 baht per drink surcharge in Pattaya with the funds going to the cops. With that easy money coming in, the police should crack down on all the crap going on. And 5 baht per drink is a lot of baht!

TheWalkingMan

Chillybilly

With all the water accidents (and deaths) this tourist season in the Pattaya bay area, what does it take for city authorities to get serious about educating the owners/ drivers of these boats about safety and that the waterways are for the "ting tong". There are laws and regulations to go by.

Next, on Beach Road and Second Street there are these huge tourist busses that seem to think these major city streets are expressways. They do not slow down; meanwhile there are tourist who have difficulty crossing these two streets due to the steady flow of baht busses, speeding busses, motorbikes and such.... I am not surprised no one has been runned over yet...or is this kept out of the news?

I never see the Pattaya police stopping a speeding bus or SUV but clustered at corners stopping some poor motor bike driver checking to see if he has a helment or drivers licence. Don't they have the training or energy to stop something more important than a local or vacationer on a bike? What will it take to enforce the traffic rules (speed limits) in the city??? For someone to get runned over?

I can see, you never go up on the main highway much, or get real brave and go out of town, as the police do stop them some times, also me when im doing 200km. :D

Dont have many speeding SUV or bus on beach road. :)

Edited by plasticpig

Chillybilly

I can see, you never go up on the main highway much, or get real brave and go out of town, as the police do stop them some times, also me when im doing 200km. :D

Dont have many speeding SUV or bus on beach road. :)

I can see, YOU never go to Beach and Second Road and see the speeding traffic or visitors frightfully trying to run across the busy city streets. And yes, I am aware of the police stopping (and making up excuses) to stop individuals on the hightways in order to collect their bribes. (true, not all)

Sometimes I think that there should be a 5 baht per drink surcharge in Pattaya with the funds going to the cops. With that easy money coming in, the police should crack down on all the crap going on. And 5 baht per drink is a lot of baht!

TheWalkingMan

right so only drinkers pay for the law breaking madness..............good idea lol

name='chillibilly' date='2010-01-12 14:58:04' post='3262167']

I can see, YOU never go to Beach and Second Road and see the speeding traffic or visitors frightfully trying to run across the busy city streets. And yes, I am aware of the police stopping (and making up excuses) to stop individuals on the hightways in order to collect their bribes. (true, not all)

Now Billy

A <deleted> Tortoise with a broken leg could get down Beach Road quicker than a Bus. !!!!!!!

Now dont be a silly billy,, chillibilly.

I think you ment to say

Beach road and second road have a very high volume of traffic, so that with the drivers, with the i dont give a shit about people crossing the road attitude, make it a dangerous place.

We need a few foot bridges in town to keep the traffic flow up and the accidents down.

BTW if the police put the fine for speeding in the pocket, who cares, you were still nicked for speeding.

Have a nice day

Edited by plasticpig

Most of the Thai people, and a good portion of the foreign population of Pattaya, are probably the worst drivers in Thailand. We moved to korat a couple of years ago, and by no means are people up here perfect, but they drive a lot better than the people in Pattaya, and I lived their for five years.

Barry

Another place that is an accident waiting to happen and someone will be killed there sooner or later, is the junction at Soi Buakow and Pattaya Klang.

It is a free for all with nobody knowing what to do, who to give way to, and when to make your maneuver that will be safe. Third world or not, this city makes enough cash each year to put some traffic lights at seriously dangerous junctions like that before someone is killed.

If one placed needs to be policed, with lights, that would be top of my list alongside beach road and 2nd road with safe pedestrian crossing's for the locals and tourists alike.