Koh Chang

Isabellla

Anybody know about Koh Chang and its accomodation?

DOes it worth a visit during August/September?

Thanks in advance :o

Spartan, fairly undeveloped and laid back,

Accomodations available from Resort to modest bungalows,

Expect some rain during said time,

Rumored to be the next Samui ... mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

I was there at around those Months in 2002. It's not a bad place to visit for 2 or 3 days. I stayed at Cookies Bungalows on white sand beach, the food was Thai and Farang, service ok and a non air, non hot water self contained bungalow was 400 baht a night (that was for beach front row, rear rows are cheaper). It was almost full as other resorts were closed down for the wet season. Can hire a motor cycle for a day and see the whole island the rest of the time you can spend lazing on the beach. Night time there are a couple of good bars on the beach with good music and fire twirlers doing tricks. People sit on mats on the beach at the bars just drink and relax. The water was not as clear as I like it and not as nice as Koh Samui or or Koh Larn but I was told that was because I was there at the wrong time. Might go back this year to see if it has changed much.

I am planning on a trip to KC next month.

I am finding it difficult to find accomodation that I like.

I want an aircon bungalow but do not like fancy resorts with all the facilities. The choice seems to be a bamboo dog kennel or an overpriced villa.

Anyone know any good clean quiet bungalows ?

Also the place I mentioned, Cookies Bungalows had Air Con Bungalows for 800 baht a night at that time. Best is get off on the main strip at White Sand Beach and check around a few places that are all walking distance within each other. Cheers.

Am planning to go KC end of May. Is it a good time? Do you think I need to book accomodations ahead or just get there and shop around?

Any websites for cookies bungalow or sp?

What's the easier way to get there from Bangkok?

Thanks a bunch.

HI Bmanly

SO by far in your opinion Koh Samui is better on that time. But I should that by far Koh Samui is more expensive than KC.Am I right?

Sorry I do not like to advise on weather because when ever I go somewhere in Thailand I do not worry about what season it is, I just go anyway. Sometimes people say things like, it's been raining a week in Chiang Mai then when I get there it doesn't rain for a week. It's a bit hit and miss. In my own honest opinion I think Koh Chang is cheaper than Samui. I was in Samui last year and the cheapest accommodation I could find was 600 baht a night (that was a special too)and I had to look hard for that. Food is also cheaper on Koh Chang. Follow the link Jai Dee posted then do a search on Koh Chang on Google, there is heaps of info out there. My prices on cookies was in 2002, they may have upgraded and prices may have changed a lot, just check around a bit more on the net.

About pre booking, we were with a group of other travellers and one girl asked me if she should pre book, I said it was up to her but I would not as I have learnt from previous experiences about the extra cost of pre booking. Anyhow the girl decided to pre book, guess where? at Cookies, she paid 100 baht more for a worse bungalow than what we got at the same place. The big ferry terminal (forget name) on the mailand has a big booking centre.

Cheers.

Redwood, good link. In 3 years they have put up a new hotel, must have refurbished the bungalows and tripled the price. I stayed in one of those green roofed bungalows. I know now that I need to look around all over again should I go back this year, thanks.

Thanks in advance :o

Bit of a damper from me I'm afraid, but I think Koh Chang is possibly the dullest, most overpriced and overrated place in Thailand...

If you must go there check out this web site...

IamKohChang.com

Good site for info on Koh Chang and sounds like a good place to stay too!

I've been to Koh Chang many times over the past three years, largely because it's near to Pattaya where I live. The last time I was there was in March as my brother got married there.

(Deep breath)

Koh Chang is a dull, badly developed, overpriced pit of a place and it's going down hill at a rate of knots......

Why? The land for developement was al bought up by bigwig friends oif the PM and now anyone who wants to set up a business there has to pay through the nose for it. All the hotels are overpriced especially when you compare with Phuket and Samui.

Almost all the west coast is now covered with these awful self-contained resorts, which are for the most part badly designed ansd ill finished. Frequently you can find your room is on a building site. NB - the Amari!

If you're coming from Europe or the States you'll find that the cost of living and rooms is cheap but not compared to elsewhere in Thailand. You'll love the sunsets and the white sand, you won't wonder where all the sewage is going and what happened to the mangroves or the fishing industry that gets smaller catches every year, or the fishing villages being turned into souvenir arcades cum hotels. NB - Bang Ban Bao!

The centre of Koh Chang is a national park , but unlike all of Thailand's other National Parks, apart from the odd waterfall, no-one is allowed inside, you can get a guide (a local ranger) who will take you in but strictly speaking that's against the law.

There is only one road around KC and it doesn't go all the way round, it's a horse-shoe affair.This means that all the development as taken place in a great long line strung around the island. There are no short cuts or roads across the island so distances between where you stay and what you want to do or see can be quite great. There is a motorbike track that connects the two ends but it's not for the faint of heart!

KC is the second biggest island in Thailand and walking around it in a day is not an option, KC is also very mountainous and the roads are very windy and hilly and as the resorts are all a long way from any shops etc its essential to hire a motorbike or car. These of course are about 50 to 100 % more than on the mainland. the baht taxi service is very patchy and expensive, and appears to be some kind of monopoly or cartel run affair, if you follow what I mean!?!

- By the way don't get a room near a hillly or windy stretch of road or you'll be kept awake all night by the squealing of tyres on the ashphalt that has been worn marble smooth by the traffic over the years!!!

The main town, if you could call it that is WhiteSands a long strip of hotels ,resorts and mottley bars about 3 km long. If you arrive on foot a baht taxi will take you from the ferry to Whitesands and drop you there. You will then have to find somewhere to stay this is impossible on foot and with luggage So book in advance at least for the first night. Then get some wheels. Klong Prao has a good new supermarket. Further along is a newly bourgeoning village with bars and restaurants Ban Bairan, I think.

There is no airport on KC itself, if you go by plane you'll land at Trat airport which is quite near to the ferries to KC. get a taxi to the ferry - only a few baht. Or better still, get your hotel to send a taxi to meet you at the airport.

There are several ferries across, the crossing takes 45 to 90 min, depending on which ferry you take. On one ferry I paid 30 e/w for me and my car, on another I paid 360 baht for my car an five people return. Last time me anfd my truck cost about 240 rtn.

Now you may think I hate the place, well I don't, I just get very dissapointed in the direction the powers-that-be have taken KC, it's lack of infrastructure and forward planning will mean that soooner reather than later this place will become a collection of overprice resorts and nothing else.

Where to stay? - Klong Prao Beach is probably as good as it gets, there are about 4 resorts there actually with beach fromntage, The Paradise is all nicely built new bungalows and of course some still being built! Coconut and Royal Coconut are next to that and Klong Prao resort has a long beach front and good pool beside the sea, watch out for the older cabins though. Prices at these places are about 2k to 3k high season.

Remember to check whether it is high or low season and what with the tsunami and it's aftermath driving many extra visitors over from the west coast, you may find many places fully booked.

PS - Do NOT stay at the Ramayana or the Boutique resorts!

Edited by wilko

[

Rumored to be the next Samui ... mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

It is quite impossible for Koh Chang to become the next Samui as for one thing the nature reserve prevents it from developing in this way. Furthermore Samui had several towns abnd villages already established both on the coast and throughout the interior. I can't see how Koh Chang can ever be anything more than a great long, boring resort.

HI Bmanly

SO by far in your opinion Koh Samui is better on that time. But I should that by far Koh Samui is more expensive than KC.Am I right?

Koh Samui is CHEAPER than Koh Chang by quite a long chalk. There is a much wider range of accommodation there and competition is quite keen at low season.

Chaweng has got quite dear over the last year but Lamai beach still has good rooms in the 700 to 1500 bracket. I paid 1600 per night to stay at Coral Beach Resort (Di Papa's) on Chaweng beach last month (April 9 to 11). The place has pool, beach frontage, restaurant and good sized rooms with TV, air and large shower room with hot water. there is car parking and it is quiet. If you go into the hills there are some beautiful places to stay or eat at very reasonable rates.

Motor bike hire is about 160 per day as opposed to 200 to 300 and car hire starts around 800 instead of 1500 for a Suzuki jeep.

Like all Thai islands, Koh Samui suffers from rampant and untrammelled development. However the island is accessible and there are still quiet unspoiled beaches to be found.

As a result of this development Samui has a wide range of high street shops – MacDonalds, KFC and Starbucks are liberally littered everywhere, you’ll also find Boots the Chemist (UK pharmacy), and Best Western Hotels. Samui also boasts the biggest Tesco's (UK supermarket chain) you've ever seen! This was rumoured to have put several locals out of business when it opened.

So there you go!

I'm just worry about the weather and if case of bad weather what should we do?

My vacations will begin on 29/08 and finish on 09/08 so in your opinion does it worth to stay at Koh Chang all the days?

Thanks

Cheers :o

Don't worry too much about the weather as topical rain is relatively warm! It's quite an experience too!

If you get days of contiuous rain you'll be very unlucky. The norm is a massive thunderstorm in the afternoon followed by a quick hot sunny period to dry out in. Then just sit back and listen to the frogs!

• 4 years later...

Thanks in advance :D

I go there about every 2 months and stay at White Sands Beach. Cookies is expensive and overated, I would not recommend it. However there are old and new bungalows opposite the 7/Eleven on the way down the hill into White Sands next door to the Police Station, I think it is called BJ's or JD's or something similar?. They have rooms from Bt 500 to 1000 with all the modern cons and breakfast included. You are over the road from the beach and the 7/Eleven and have all the restraunts and shops around you. Dont stay out of White Sands Beach as there is nothing around and you have to travel too far to get to town where all the action is. :)

Edited by OZEMADE

Thanks in advance :)

Bit of a damper from me I'm afraid, but I think Koh Chang is possibly the dullest, most overpriced and overrated place in Thailand...

If you must go there check out this web site...

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>IamKohChang.com</span>

Good site for info on Koh Chang and sounds like a good place to stay too!

I've been to Koh Chang many times over the past three years, largely because it's near to Pattaya where I live. The last time I was there was in March as my brother got married there.

(Deep breath)

Koh Chang is a dull, badly developed, overpriced pit of a place and it's going down hill at a rate of knots......

Why? The land for developement was al bought up by bigwig friends oif the PM and now anyone who wants to set up a business there has to pay through the nose for it. All the hotels are overpriced especially when you compare with Phuket and Samui.

Almost all the west coast is now covered with these awful self-contained resorts, which are for the most part badly designed ansd ill finished. Frequently you can find your room is on a building site. NB - the Amari!

If you're coming from Europe or the States you'll find that the cost of living and rooms is cheap but not compared to elsewhere in Thailand. You'll love the sunsets and the white sand, you won't wonder where all the sewage is going and what happened to the mangroves or the fishing industry that gets smaller catches every year, or the fishing villages being turned into souvenir arcades cum hotels. NB - Bang Ban Bao!

The centre of Koh Chang is a national park , but unlike all of Thailand's other National Parks, apart from the odd waterfall, no-one is allowed inside, you can get a guide (a local ranger) who will take you in but strictly speaking that's against the law.

There is only one road around KC and it doesn't go all the way round, it's a horse-shoe affair.This means that all the development as taken place in a great long line strung around the island. There are no short cuts or roads across the island so distances between where you stay and what you want to do or see can be quite great. There is a motorbike track that connects the two ends but it's not for the faint of heart!

KC is the second biggest island in Thailand and walking around it in a day is not an option, KC is also very mountainous and the roads are very windy and hilly and as the resorts are all a long way from any shops etc its essential to hire a motorbike or car. These of course are about 50 to 100 % more than on the mainland. the baht taxi service is very patchy and expensive, and appears to be some kind of monopoly or cartel run affair, if you follow what I mean!?!

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>

- By the way don't get a room near a hillly or windy stretch of road or you'll be kept awake all night by the squealing of tyres on the ashphalt that has been worn marble smooth by the traffic over the years!!!

</span>

The main town, if you could call it that is WhiteSands a long strip of hotels ,resorts and mottley bars about 3 km long. If you arrive on foot a baht taxi will take you from the ferry to Whitesands and drop you there. You will then have to find somewhere to stay this is impossible on foot and with luggage So book in advance at least for the first night. Then get some wheels. Klong Prao has a good new supermarket. Further along is a newly bourgeoning village with bars and restaurants Ban Bairan, I think.

There is no airport on KC itself, if you go by plane you'll land at Trat airport which is quite near to the ferries to KC. get a taxi to the ferry - only a few baht. Or better still, get your hotel to send a taxi to meet you at the airport.

There are several ferries across, the crossing takes 45 to 90 min, depending on which ferry you take. On one ferry I paid 30 e/w for me and my car, on another I paid 360 baht for my car an five people return. Last time me anfd my truck cost about 240 rtn.

Now you may think I hate the place, well I don't, I just get very dissapointed in the direction the powers-that-be have taken KC, it's lack of infrastructure and forward planning will mean that soooner reather than later this place will become a collection of overprice resorts and nothing else.

Where to stay? - Klong Prao Beach is probably as good as it gets, there are about 4 resorts there actually with beach fromntage, The Paradise is all nicely built new bungalows and of course some still being built! Coconut and Royal Coconut are next to that and Klong Prao resort has a long beach front and good pool beside the sea, watch out for the older cabins though. Prices at these places are about 2k to 3k high season.

Remember to check whether it is high or low season and what with the tsunami and it's aftermath driving many extra visitors over from the west coast, you may find many places fully booked.

PS - Do NOT stay at the Ramayana or the Boutique resorts!

good post, have to agree with you and i like Koh Chang and i have been 3 times this year but it is a bit disappointing!