Drinking Water For The House

mnbcm

What's the best way to get some drinking water for our house? We've been getting the giant water jugs delivered to our house but we're thinking of buying something we could hook up in the kitchen to filter the city water. Would you recommend a certain brand or way of doing this? How much does it cost? Thanks for the suggestions!

Its expensive a real cleaning filter and also at same time heats the water to kill that last germs and bacteria is about 50000 Baht.

and for that price you have many jugs of water delliverd to your house for many years.

Chears

Its expensive a real cleaning filter and also at same time heats the water to kill that last germs and bacteria is about 50000 Baht.

and for that price you have many jugs of water delliverd to your house for many years.

Chears

My Thai neighbour drinks water direct from the tap, and has done most of his life.He is 80 and looks 50 but I'm not going to join him. Loking at the huge range of filters and options available Im not sure how you can decide what to buy. We buy the big bottles, 20 baht delivered to our door. We bought a refridgerated dispenser on special at Makro for 2,500 b which makes it easier to dispense water as lifting up those big bottles is an arduos task. As the previous poster said its by far the most economical way to have a water supply. Is it filtered correctly at the factory ? who knows ,do filters you buy remove all the "nasties" no idea ?

When you get a glass of free water at restaurants same scenario. Life goes on.

I bought the 6 filter with pressure bottle and tap type in Home Pro (3 large filters, + 1 membrane filter, one ceramic filter and a 2 tube Ultra Violet system) for Baht14,000, back in 2002.

Fitted it myself under kitchen units. It is connected to mains and works when you turn on the supplied tap. Change filters once a year.

No problems in 7 years. There are loads of systems on the market but I never trust the water bottle (25ltr) sellers.

Im looking at ordering a counter top water distiller, as the water that I have been getting delivered tastes like plastic. If its in plastic bottles and its sitting on the back of a truck under the hot sun all day, you are, in essence, consuming the plastic container. Figure the only sure way to know I am drinking pure water is to "make my own".

i would ditch that water that tastes like plastic asap

Bisphenol A is common in plastic drink bottles :)

Two and only two methods can reliably remove all microbial, heavy metal, pharmaceutical and other industrial contaminants from water - distillation and reverse osmosis. Of these only RO is really practical for home use but the semi-permeable membranes are easily destroyed by chlorinated tap water if the pre-filter fails so need vigilant maintenance if you are using chlorinated municipal water instead of a well.

Ciejay and Me have used a amway system for 5 years and never a problem the unit lets you know when you need to change the filter and ultra light pretty fool proof and you can taste the difference from other types of bottled eater and filters I strongly recommend it . Grandps -m

Two and only two methods can reliably remove all microbial, heavy metal, pharmaceutical and other industrial contaminants from water - distillation and reverse osmosis. Of these only RO is really practical for home use but the semi-permeable membranes are easily destroyed by chlorinated tap water if the pre-filter fails so need vigilant maintenance if you are using chlorinated municipal water instead of a well.

Is chiang mai tap water chlorinated? Does it have fluoride added?

And i thought i understood that water left in a jug for while makes the chlorine evaporate? Could that be done before filtering?

And, are the filters that have been mentioned on the thread thus far RO? How do i know i'm getting an RO filter?

Sorry, that seems to be a lot of questions! But i've been reading recently how difficult it is to actually get water that has all the nasties removed, and that was talking about in the US.

Ciejay and Me have used a amway system for 5 years and never a problem the unit lets you know when you need to change the filter and ultra light pretty fool proof and you can taste the difference from other types of bottled eater and filters I strongly recommend it . Grandps -m

Can you recall the price? And which model did you get, or do they only have one kind?

just ordered one through Amazon.

Im looking at ordering a counter top water distiller, as the water that I have been getting delivered tastes like plastic. If its in plastic bottles and its sitting on the back of a truck under the hot sun all day, you are, in essence, consuming the plastic container. Figure the only sure way to know I am drinking pure water is to "make my own".

I looked into the relative costs (and hassle) of filter systems and ended up using Sprinkle (M.Water Co., Ltd. 02 712 7272) to deliver the big bottles direct to my door. Easy, simple, (relatively cheap) and not bad quality/taste. Even comes with a little battery-powered pump to distill into the smaller bottles :)

Tats

When we had our baby we bought a slightly expensive electronic filter system. The installer checked the relative quality of the tap water, bottled water ( large bottles made locally) and the water from the filter. What surprised me was the huge difference in quality between the filtered water and the bottled water. He said that was because the bottled water was not natural clean water but manufactured and hence the quality varied according to how well the process was run. I just put this into the debate because maybe the high quality is unnecessary. For sure the filtered water is not cheap and the machine must be regularly cleaned ( but this shows the junk that is taken out) but I'm happier with a water I know is clean.

When we had our baby we bought a slightly expensive electronic filter system. The installer checked the relative quality of the tap water, bottled water ( large bottles made locally) and the water from the filter. What surprised me was the huge difference in quality between the filtered water and the bottled water. He said that was because the bottled water was not natural clean water but manufactured and hence the quality varied according to how well the process was run. I just put this into the debate because maybe the high quality is unnecessary. For sure the filtered water is not cheap and the machine must be regularly cleaned ( but this shows the junk that is taken out) but I'm happier with a water I know is clean.

have you seen the machines which vend water outside shops etc from 50 satang/lit to 1b/lit?

im sort of joking but they now sell for about 35,000 and make good water. you could put it outside your house and make a profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have 1 im my building and we get the water analysed at cmu every year just to check and the results are always very good

There's nothing wrong with the tap water.

Jesus Christ on a bicycle. You big brave expats who CHOOSE to live in a foreign country and wont drink perfectly good fluoridated water. Sleep under a mosquito net and go and have every shot from A to Z each year as well I guess.

It's Thailand not butt-<deleted> Nigeria.

Edited by Graham101

You big brave expats who CHOOSE to live in a foreign country and wont drink perfectly good fluoridated water.

There's no such thing as perfectly good fluoridated water. Sodium fluoride, a chemical added to US tap water, is a toxic by-product of the aluminium and fertilizer industries, and is often highly contaminated with lead and arsenic.

So my book says. And you've only got to look at the general health levels of average americans to know something is gravely amiss in that country with its food and water. Poisoned tap water is not much help to anybody, yet that's what it is, conveniently disposing of all those fluoride by-products from the chemical industry.

I'd still like to find out on this thread if chiang mai water has fluoride or chlorine added to it. Either way, i'd guess the water is better here in thailand than in the US, or the UK which also puts fluoride and chlorine into its municipal water supplies.