Change Of Visa

This is slightly convoluted so please stick with me.

My wife and I both have retirement visa's which are due for renewal at the end of April,

I have a pension that covers the demands of Immigration, my wife has a partial pension but needs about 10,000 GBP in a Thai bank this year due to both of us having to show seperate sums as she can no longer be a dependant. {Thanks for the rule change}

I can transfer the cash from the UK but don't really like to as this is a large sum to us and given the uncertanties here it might not be prudent.

I can get a Non O A visa as I have been offered work here, so here are my questions.

If I am on a Non O A can I use my pension as proof to my Consul that she has sufficient funds?

Can the lump sum be left in the UK if it is not in my name, just hers?

Edited by stuandchris

I'm not retired yet, but I'm pretty sure your wife can get a 1 year extension piggybacking on yours.

They did change at one time, but as far as I know they went back to allowing the piggybacking as long as you are legally married.

If you are here on a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement, your wife can get a dependent extension of stay piggybacked to your retirement extension. Nothing in the rules has recently changed concerning dependent extensions of stay. A couple of weeks before the end of April you can get a 1 year extension of stay based on your retirement pension and the wife then gets a dependent extension of stay.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Your post does not make sense; to me.

1. There has not been any "rule" change and a wife can still obtain matching extension of stay for those here on a retirement extension of stay. But it appears you may have to change status.

2. You can not work on an OA visa or a retirement extension of stay - have no idea what you are talking about. OA visa would have to be obtained in the UK and would require you not work.

3. Are you making a change to working? Will you have a one year extension of stay? If you have extension she could ride on that as dependent.

4. If she must obtain retirement extension she will have to meet requirements on her own. Which means money in bank account for 3 months prior to application.

5. Have never heard of anyone losing money in a Thai bank account yet. Even when thay had failures ten years ago accounts were paid.

Sorry to confuse people, I am a bit confused myself!

My farang wife is over fifty, I was under the impression that immigration used to allow a 'piggyback' dependant before but they changed it so that if the spouse is over 50 she can no longer be a dependant and had to show her own funds independant of the hubby, ie 800,000 or a mixture of pension and funds.

If this is wrong I would be delighted.

Thanks in advance for any imfo.

Stu

Section 2.20 of Police Order No. 777/2551 allows for dependent extensions of stay when the spouse is already in Thailand on an extension of stay based on retirement. Immigration tried to eliminate retiree dependent extensions a couple of years ago, but was unsuccessful.

Edited by thaiphoon
No need to quote post above. Use Fast Reply - thaiphoon

"Stu"

You are wrong - so that is the good news.

Believe you recall the change in policy that did not allow any extension for dependent for those on retirement extensions (as it is not mentioned in original text of immigration policy). That caused big problems for those with a wife under age 50 as there was no legal extension of stay. That policy was quickly changed and dependent extension allowed under current rules.