Growing Chilli

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has had a go at growing chilli. the reason I ask is a few years ago we planted some between some young rubber, just for family use. Of course had more than we could ever use. The mother inlaw sold the surplus at the local market and make a few extra baht on the deal. Well now have 6 rai sitting idle and thought I may try chilli this year.[ Last year planted mon sapalang, waste of time and effort] So has anyone tried and if so was it a loss maker or a reasonable return for the cost.

Jim

Try searching for old threads on "makheua" by Maizefarmer

Although these are eggplant they belong to the same family as chilli and have similar cultivation requirements, I can't remember as it's a few years back but I'm sure chilli came up in the discussion and it is probably one of the most complete guides to growing along with financial aspects available on the web.

cheers for now J 

Try searching for old threads on "makheua" by Maizefarmer

Although these are eggplant they belong to the same family as chilli and have similar cultivation requirements, I can't remember as it's a few years back but I'm sure chilli came up in the discussion and it is probably one of the most complete guides to growing along with financial aspects available on the web.

cheers for now J 

Thanks for that, I will have a look. Jim

The problem with chilli is that they require multiple harvests and the market price is subject to huge swings ,depending on supply /demand.

We tried 2 rai several years ago and made a small profit on the first picking but from then on could not even recover picking costs so they got grubbed out.

Price depends on how many pick-ups of chilli arrive at the wholesale section of the markets on any given day, farmers do not take them back home in an over supply situation but let them go for any pittance they can receive thus forcing the price to bedrock.

The problem with chilli is that they require multiple harvests and the market price is subject to huge swings ,depending on supply /demand.

We tried 2 rai several years ago and made a small profit on the first picking but from then on could not even recover picking costs so they got grubbed out.

Price depends on how many pick-ups of chilli arrive at the wholesale section of the markets on any given day, farmers do not take them back home in an over supply situation but let them go for any pittance they can receive thus forcing the price to bedrock.

Hi ozzydom

I guess that is the problem with many crops, you can make a few baht selling at the local market, but when it comes to getting rid of larger quantities you are at the mercy of the big buyers. Saying that I hate to leave the land idle, so will no doubt end up with bags of chilli. Jim

We grew chillis for a while, only about 2 rai, but the wife gave up as the price was so low and you had to iirigate them a lot, insecticide them and till the soil regularly.

Now it's sweetcorn which requires less maintenance in my view, a brother-in-law is doing 2-3 rai of tobacco, he claims he'll make 40,000 baht, I'll let you know in a few months!

Hi ozzydom

I guess that is the problem with many crops, you can make a few baht selling at the local market, but when it comes to getting rid of larger quantities you are at the mercy of the big buyers. Saying that I hate to leave the land idle, so will no doubt end up with bags of chilli. Jim

Hi Jim

Yes I think you are correct, I seem to recall that people noted that if you can produce your crops "off season" when the market price is highest by using irrigation etc.. (obviously more capital outlay which many local farmers simply cannot afford) you can make a few baht. I also seem to remember the advice was to start on a small scale (1 rai or less to see how it goes). How about growing the variety of chilli that is sold dried.

Hi ozzydom

Hi Jim

Yes I think you are correct, I seem to recall that people noted that if you can produce your crops "off season" when the market price is highest by using irrigation etc.. (obviously more capital outlay which many local farmers simply cannot afford) you can make a few baht. I also seem to remember the advice was to start on a small scale (1 rai or less to see how it goes). How about growing the variety of chilli that is sold dried.

Hi Jandtaa

I have a bit to think about on this. It maybe better to plant a variety of crops and see how they go. Though this is not a money making thing it is just I hate to see the weeds growing when I could at least eat for free, but I don't want to lose money on the deal at the same time. Jim