Dying Dog

BillR

I brought my dog from the states, he is now quite old and a dear member of my family. When he dies Id like to cremete or bury him. Is this odd in thailand? I'd really like to givemy best friend the rememberence he desrves :)

I brought my dog from the states, he is now quite old and a dear member of my family. When he dies Id like to cremete or bury him. Is this odd in thailand? I'd really like to givemy best friend the rememberence he desrves

"ODD" to want to say 'Farewell' to your loyal companion ? ? ?

Sir; not only is this not "odd"; it says a lot about your four-footed friend and it says a LOT about you !

In my book, you would be a "Real Man", because you obviously need to find some sort of 'closure' (hate that word).

You and your canine mate have a lot of history together and that is something to be proud of and something to cherish.

When our Foxy died (after 8 1/2 years with us), we held a ceremony, with a monk present. Foxy was wrapped in a white sheet. post-10410-1263429914_thumb.jpgAfterwards, we buried her in the back of the farmhouse, together with her food bowls; favorite toys and a supply of snacks - on the edge of the lake where she went for a swim often and placed a rather large rock on the top of the grave. When it was all over, we cried for 3 days (incredible !).

Today; some 7 years on; whenever we visit our farm (near Kabin Buri); the first thing we do is walk around to the back, place a hand on that bog rock and we say "Hi" to our Foxy and the tears are never far away: after 7 years ! ! !

Odd ? ? -No Sir-ree ! ! It just marks you as a compassionate person.

post-10410-1263429953_thumb.jpg

Love Hurts !

Best Regards,

JGK/Pattaya

Edited by jaapfries

I brought my dog from the states, he is now quite old and a dear member of my family. When he dies Id like to cremete or bury him. Is this odd in thailand? I'd really like to givemy best friend the rememberence he desrves

"ODD" to want to say 'Farewell' to your loyal companion ? ? ?

Sir; not only is this not "odd"; it says a lot about your four-footed friend and it says a LOT about you !

In my book, you would be a "Real Man", because you obviously need to find some sort of 'closure' (hate that word).

You and your canine mate have a lot of history together and that is something to be proud of and something to cherish.

When our Foxy died (after 8 1/2 years with us), we held a ceremony, with a monk present. Foxy was wrapped in a white sheet. post-10410-1263429914_thumb.jpgAfterwards, we buried her in the back of the farmhouse, together with her food bowls; favorite toys and a supply of snacks - on the edge of the lake where she went for a swim often and placed a rather large rock on the top of the grave. When it was all over, we cried for 3 days (incredible !).

Today; some 7 years on; whenever we visit our farm (near Kabin Buri); the first thing we do is walk around to the back, place a hand on that bog rock and we say "Hi" to our Foxy and the tears are never far away: after 7 years ! ! !

Odd ? ? -No Sir-ree ! ! It just marks you as a compassionate person.

post-10410-1263429953_thumb.jpg

Love Hurts !

Best Regards,

JGK/Pattaya

Jaapfries, i think you have read the post a bit wrong there, i think the poster is just enquiring what thai people do when their pets pass away ? and is it odd in Thailand to bury or cremate them, he is not implying that it is odd to say farewell to his loyal companion and even ses ''the rememberence he deserves'' :) .

Edited by alfieconn

The local practice in this village is to bury loved pets. Those people that have 'animals' simply pass them on to the 'dogs for food' resellers, worrying on a number of levels.

The last dog I buried for a relation was at the back of their house the spot marked with a new tree.

I am aware some Wats may allow cremation using their facilities but I would guess many would not - also they may change their mind when faced with a dead dog turning up after pre-arrangement. (My POV no experiance.) For my own dogs in some long distant date in the future I would prefer to cremate at home, we have the space and supply of wood. I understand that you probably need more wood that you would first consider to compete the task without having to rake through familiar looking Fido bones afterwards. I've experimented a bit with pig bones.

firstly thanks for the replies. I made this post in the evening, past working hours. After speaking to my thai staff, cremation is possible, complete with monk which will be my best option as i rent my home. Again thank you everybody.

A Thai friend of mine had a faithful Ridgeback that died at 13 years old. He asked his friends to leave him alone for a couple of days. He built a funeral pyre and cremated his faithful pet himself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cremated my pet cat, Toro, at home using fallen tree limbs and the like. I placed Toro on an iron grill so that his bones were not mixed in with the wood ash. I bought a nice small black snap-top air-tight container and placed him in a plastic bag therein. A faithful friend who always rested beside the keyboard after returning home with a treat for me - a mouse. My older rots 11(~77 human years) may have to be buried.

Not sure where you are ataloss but have read articles this month in both Samui's Buy & Sell magazine and the Living in style which was previously called Samui Property, which says that a local pet care company and vet have purchased an actual pet cremation machine in order to be able to offer this service at such a sad time when we lose our beloved pets.