Is Anyone Going To Watch The Eclipse Today?

Meridian007

Chiang Mai/Rai might get a pretty good partial, they are talking about it here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Solar-Eclipse-t329399.html

Does anyone know if we'll get much in Bangkok? I'm going to set up my photography equipment on the off chance that we get some of the partial.

Also, does anyone know if we have to be careful about viewing it if we aren't in the path? I would think that it is safe if it is only a partial, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Meridian007

Any excuse for a party,should be a few gunshots going off and all.

I am a bit partial to a solar eclipse.

Have experienced a total eclipse in the uk before i think it was 2000? a really weird sensation and a great experience.

I remember the full one in the UK around that time, the darkness descended haha, it was strange

when you ask about being careful viewing it are you asking if you can look directly at it? Of course you can not look directly at it, a partial eclipse would be worse to look at than a total eclipse as only a small part of the sun will be covered.

Yes, I wasn't sure about looking at it directly. I can't remember at what point it is supposed to be most dangerous, presumably when it is at its apex? I've looked at a partial before, (not for long, mind you), and my vision is still fine, but I should at least try to be safe! :)

Would polarizing filters be enough protection for a DSLR camera? I can find a lot of info about watching projected images, but nothing about direct photography.

when you ask about being careful viewing it are you asking if you can look directly at it? Of course you can not look directly at it, a partial eclipse would be worse to look at than a total eclipse as only a small part of the sun will be covered.

Yes, I wasn't sure about looking at it directly. I can't remember at what point it is supposed to be most dangerous, presumably when it is at its apex? I've looked at a partial before, (not for long, mind you), and my vision is still fine, but I should at least try to be safe! :)

Would polarizing filters be enough protection for a DSLR camera? I can find a lot of info about watching projected images, but nothing about direct photography.

sorry I am not a photo buff. they say the safest way is a pin prick on a piece of card and allow the sunlight to come through this onto another piece of card, this shows the shape of the sun and the partial eclipse. this is probably the projected image you mention.

Does this site help at all? http://www.mreclipse.com/SEphoto/SEphoto.html

Edited by tonywebster

Wow! Lots of info, thanks! After reading that I don't think I'll risk my DSLR, as I only have polarizing filters. I'll just use my point-and-shoot camera with a pinhole projector, and then I'll try direct to see if it kills it (I rarely use it anyway so I don't care if it dies).

Hopefully we don't get too many clouds!

When I was a kid the old man would give us some welding glass to look at it with.

I did that for Mercury's trip across the sun about a decade ago. I used binoculars and two layers of welding glass in front. It was an experience!

Edited by Meridian007

Its like a pikey. Never look one straight in the eye! they'll kill you.

I don't understand the fascination. In my part of thailand it gets dark and light with alarming regularity. I've noted romantic sunsets over mountains and lakes and even the sea, but I have yet to look up and be impressed by it just getting dark.

Ps. Will the Ghosts make an appearance?

Partial solar eclipse this afternoon; Eclipse will begin at 1:51pm and reach its peak at 3.28pm with 57% of the sun's surface obscured

Public strongly advised not to view sun directly without proper eye protection...

The question is will it get a little darker 57% is that enough to send the thais delirious with thoughts of bhudda?

we will see!

Its like a pikey. Never look one straight in the eye! they'll kill you.

I don't understand the fascination. In my part of thailand it gets dark and light with alarming regularity. I've noted romantic sunsets over mountains and lakes and even the sea, but I have yet to look up and be impressed by it just getting dark.

Ps. Will the Ghosts make an appearance?

Loz?....have you experienced an eclipse?

the one i saw in the uk was a really awsome experience it went dark in the daytime for close on 5 minutes the birds stopped singing and people just stood in silence it was a unforgettable experience and something i would like to repeat especially on a different continent....alas this being only 57% will not be the same.

I went through an almost complete one in Saigon in '95 -- I told all the VN office staff that a giant spaceship was due to land on the Rex Hotel at lunchtime, and they all laughed at me until it started to get dark, then they began to freak and soon we had a full-on hysterical fainting outbreak.

City-wide, the whole place was in chaos, VNs didn't have a clue what was happening; some people were parking their motorbikes and praying, the rest were crashing into them. Utter mayhem.

It went dark for 5 minutes and everyone stood around in silence.

Fart in a lift and pull the emergency brake. Same effect, equally lacking in appeal to me, at least.

and in answer to your question, yes. I was there. The biggest thrill for me was that my automatic headlights came on for a few minutes (driving at the time) and then went off. I felt the same thrill going through tunnels though. What a great gizmo that was. Wow, this thread is making me miss fancy cars... imagine that?

I went through an almost complete one in Saigon in '95 -- I told all the VN office staff that a giant spaceship was due to land on the Rex Hotel at lunchtime, and they all laughed at me until it started to get dark, then they began to freak and soon we had a full-on hysterical fainting outbreak.

City-wide, the whole place was in chaos, VNs didn't have a clue what was happening; some people were parking their motorbikes and praying, the rest were crashing into them. Utter mayhem.

Exactly! It is just a shame it is not a total one over Thailand as it would of created a lot of the same sort of hysteria here and we could of enjoyed the experience albeit noisy and alcohol fuelled i think!

It went dark for 5 minutes and everyone stood around in silence.

Fart in a lift and pull the emergency brake. Same effect, equally lacking in appeal to me, at least.

and in answer to your question, yes. I was there. The biggest thrill for me was that my automatic headlights came on for a few minutes (driving at the time) and then went off. I felt the same thrill going through tunnels though. What a great gizmo that was. Wow, this thread is making me miss fancy cars... imagine that?

nikkoastonmartinbond.jpgok loz i hope this makes you feel better? :)

astonmartin10.jpg

Edited by NADTATIDA1

I viewed it today in central Thailand, I used welding goggles to view it at the urging of my Thai Wife. It was only covering about a 1/6 th of the sun when I viewed it, my wife watch it though the whole process by the time my daughter came home from school it had pass completely.

Cheers: :)