Aussie Killed In Phuket Truck Plunge

webfact

Aussie killed in Phuket truck plunge

phuket-Some-of-the-injured-being-treated-at-Bangkok-Hospital-Phuket-1-hBrygTM.jpgSome of the injured being treated at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

phuket-One-of-Siam-Safaris-vehicles-File-photo-4-bnbLmUC.jpgOne of Siam Safari's vehicles. File photo.

PHUKET: A driver lost control of a truck full of tourists heading down Big Buddha Hill, killing a 29-year-old Australian man who was on his honeymoon in Phuket.

The deceased's name is known, but is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Several other tourists were injured in the accident, which happened at about 11am this morning. The condition of one of the tourists is considered 'serious'.

The Thai driver said truck's brakes failed, causing him to lose control of the vehicle, which flipped over in the accident.

There were nine tourists in the back of the truck at the time.

Tori Giles, a member of an Australian family of six who were part of the group, sustained a head injury in the accident.

"I can remember that when the truck was heading down the hill on the way back, I felt the driver change gear, then there was a bang. After that I can't remember anything," he said.

A Safari Tour employee told the Gazette the company had been in operation 17 years.

"We have never had a problem like this before," he said. "The company will take responsibility and take care of all the tourists who were involved in the accident."

The injured tourists are being treated at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

Chalong Police Inspector Col Chana Sudtimas said, "We will have to arrest the driver for causing death by careless driving.

"He may have to spend as much as 10 years in jail, depending on what the judge decides," he added.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai driver said truck's brakes failed, causing him to lose control of the vehicle, which flipped over in the accident.

And couldnt grab the handbrake ??

Yet again, slipshod attitudes to servicing and maintenance causes loss of life.. Same like the boat sinkings etc..

Edited by LivinLOS

Yet again, slipshod attitudes to servicing and maintenance causes loss of life.. Same like the boat sinkings etc..

For "lose control" read "bad driving".

I usually go down that hill, and steeper ones, in 2nd gear in my pickup. Didn't the driver know you are supposed to use the engine as a brake?

Update:

Australian tourist killed in road accident in Phuket

PHUKET: -- An Australian tourist on honeymoon in Phuket with his wife was killed in a road accident here at noon Friday.

Ten others, eight of them foreign tourists, were injured in the accident.

The killed tourist was identified as Michael Moloazo, 26.

Police said Moloaazo and the other foreign tourists were being driven in vehicle of Siam Safari Nature Tour when it plunged into a roadside ravine.

The eight other tourists were identified as Nichole Wilmot (Aus), Tylar Giles (Briton), Dannet Lea Roberts (Aus), Sarah Louise Korver (Aus), Tori Jay Giles (Aus), Susan Rose McNelis (Aus), Margaret Korver (Aus) and Aimee Dykstra.

Police said the Thai driver of the Land Rover SUV vehicle was also injured along with a local villager.

The Land Rover driver, Damrong Thiamsamer, told police that the brake system of his vehicle failed while the vehicle was going down the hill road so he decided to slow it down by crashing into the pick-up truck. But the vehicle could not stop and fell into the ravine.

Police said Mloazo was married a week ago and checked in at a Phuket hotel and planned to stay in the island province for ten days.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-15

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Older Land Rovers don't have a hand brake as most cars do, they have a transmission brake, which if were to be used whilst the vehicle is in motion, would not be safe (or sensible).

Edited by A. BOOZER

:)

Wouldn't it be nice if for one in your life you left your GRANDSTANDING out of it and offered commisserations first?!! OMG man!!

You need to take a long hard look at yourself bud..

A very sad and tragic incident and even more so when on honeymoon..RIP]

My sincere commiserations to family and especialy to the new wife absolutely traggic thing to happen at the start ofwhat was to be a whole new life together.

Would be nice if all the rest of you anti ,everything-thai brigade, didn't use this sad time in the same disgusting way as linlos has.

A new low has been reached IMO. :D

Older Land Rovers don't have a hand brake as most cars do, they have a transmission brake, which if were to be used whilst the vehicle is in motion, would not be safe (or sensible).

What are you classing as old?. This a 90 - 110 Series Landrover pictured above and they do have hand brakes and also because Land Rover didn't go the route of mainstream, doesn't mean its wrong :)

GRID010481.jpg

Edited by Garry

Not only the older ones but the newer ones also have the transmission brake but using it will only brake on one wheel unless a difflocks are fitted and engaged.. i have one much newer than the model in the pic, they are tough vehicles but require a lot of maintenance and its not cheap, if its a model with permanent 4x4 the handbrake works on both axles.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Poor sod. Can't begin to think what his wife will be feeling.

Wonder how much compensation the life of an Aussie is worth these days ? Bt100,000 ?

The point raised about the seatbelt is valid but I've been in those situations, you've booked the day before, the vehicle turns up and you feel you don't want to go with it but that would cause all kinds of seemingly big problems and then you just go with it and hope for the best. Until we refuse or better still make a point of refusing to book if safety is not taken seriously, then these types of "accidents" will continue.

"Chalong Police Inspector Col Chana Sudtimas said, "We will have to arrest the driver for causing death by careless driving.

"He may have to spend as much as 10 years in jail, depending on what the judge decides," he added."

Without questioning the company and checking the vehicle for faults ???

I dont really think it's fair to charge the driver with it because his car failed. Surely it is up to the tour operator? Poor guy. Bet he feel terrible.

I agree, strange the police arrest the driver before the vehicle is inspected or they even know what happened....and then talk about a 10 year jail sentence, Thai justice works in strange ways.

And today's conspiracy theory is:

Siam Safari have run-in with Tuk-Tuk mafia at Centara Hotels over guest transport. Tuk-Tuk mafia 'fix' the brakes.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised... I know this tuk-tuk maffia for which I signed a petition to be abolished by the Governor. But bad driving is indeed also a cause. These steep slopes to the big bouddha have to be taken (downwards) in LOW GEAR.

Last time I met a whole convoy of these Siam Safari jeeps riding up the hill in a high speed tempo. Wonder if they were giving a show-off or just a demonstration of lack of brains. Technically OK??? I wonder...

I am not at all surprised. What with all of the bad press about jet ski thugs, the Tuk Tuk Mafia and the beatings of foreigners, too many murders, etc, it does appear that Phuket is a dangerous place to choose for a holiday. It was not always like this.....it used to be a true tropical paradise.

But all of these unacceptable incidents only goes to show what happens to a resort when the authorities derelict their duties. They have constantly decided, despite the daily clamour of protest, not to impose even the most basic of controls for safety and security for their tourist guests on the island. The more the authorities step back and do nothing the more the thugs and cowboys will take over. The more the authorities will become like the thugs they live off.

For sure, ALL public service vehicles should be checked....safari Jeeps, Tuk Tuk;s, taxis, buses, etc.

But unfortunately, the skimmers at the top who live off turning a blind eye would no doubt use theses vehicle check centres to fill their pockets and allow wrecks back on the roads with their certificate proudly displayed on their cracked windscreen..

"Chalong Police Inspector Col Chana Sudtimas said, "We will have to arrest the driver for causing death by careless driving.

"He may have to spend as much as 10 years in jail, depending on what the judge decides," he added."

Afraid so. The Siam Safari depot is near the Chalong police station.

You see, he probably plays golf with the owner. The driver is expendable.

Agree - but let's face it - brake failure? Master Cylinders can fail sure, but when was the last time a foot went to the floor for brakes? This is not a Hollywood movie. Blame the driver for a brake failure - what a croc! Blame him for neg driving if the brakes did NOT fail, put him away for life! But this it Thailand - odds are - nothing will happen - the driver will take robes and shave his head - hide in the nearest Wat and all will be forgiven in penance. LOL :)

I would guess going by the statements of the survivors.

For "lose control" read "bad driving".

I usually go down that hill, and steeper ones, in 2nd gear in my pickup. Didn't the driver know you are supposed to use the engine as a brake?

No always put in neutral.

Very sad, RIP young man :)

Could the 'bang' reported in the OP be the vehicle slipping out of gear (common in older manual boxes when on over-run), result is a vehicle that very quickly gets away from the driver, if the brakes aren't perfect you're not stopping :D

R.I.P Fellow Aussie dude.

What are you classing as old?. This a 90 - 110 Series Landrover pictured above and they do have hand brakes and also because Land Rover didn't go the route of mainstream, doesn't mean its wrong :)

Are you sure its a 90/110 Landy, from the front for sure but the doors (handles) appear to be from an earlier model.

Very sad, RIP young man :)

Could the 'bang' reported in the OP be the vehicle slipping out of gear (common in older manual boxes when on over-run), result is a vehicle that very quickly gets away from the driver, if the brakes aren't perfect you're not stopping :D

The second news report states the driver said he crashed into a pick up to try and stop his vehicle - that's the most likely cause of the bang reported by the tourist .... unless it's a similar incident to the one in Chiangmai a couple of years back where a local was taking pot shots at a tourist songthaew for the fun of it. Though there's nothing reported in this story to suggest that.

Condolences to the bride and family of the deceased. Best wishes for a speedy recovery to the others.

Foggy

R.I.P Fellow Aussie dude.

Are you sure its a 90/110 Landy, from the front for sure but the doors (handles) appear to be from an earlier model.

Thanks Spoorman, On hindsight its a 127 (guessing its loong wheel base). Land Rover earmarked the model number by wheelbase 93"=90 series, 110"=100 series & 127"=127 series

I dont really think it's fair to charge the driver with it because his car failed. Surely it is up to the tour operator? Poor guy. Bet he feel terrible.

I agree, strange the police arrest the driver before the vehicle is inspected or they even know what happened....and then talk about a 10 year jail sentence, Thai justice works in strange ways.

Simple when you realize hes lowest down the ladder who can be used to take any blame.. Hardly going to punish the family that owns the safari tour now are they.

It does say its a file photo of the landrover, the one pictured is a series 3 have a look at the front windows they are still the slide style, and not wind up and down ones, this model is fitted with a tailshaft brake, not sure what happens if you pulled it on when the vehicle was moving but at a gues it would not be pretty.

Condolonces to the family.