Which Is Your Favorite Mexican Entry/dish

kikoman

Just trying to find out what is the favorite foods that are served in Mexican Restaurants, that cater to the Expat Community ?

If future Mexican Restaurants should be focusing on. Certain dishes that are great favorites to the community, or offer a great variety of dishes that would be more attractive to its customers

IF your are a traditional Mexican Restaurant.

If you are a Mexican Sea food Oriented Restaurant,

Steak and Rib oriented Mexican food,

Burrito or Taco Specialty Restaurant,

any other you may desire.

Focus on Quality vs Quantity, Specializing in few foods (lower overhead) or offer a lot of food, that may be of lesser quality but giving more options to order from.

Also what price range are you willing to pay for you favorite dish.

If you can include what part of Thailand you reside in. Possibly to open restaurants, where there is the greatest amount of need, that is not being served by present restaurants.

Would you buy from a Mexican style Taco truck , such as used in the US and Mexico.

Put down what ever you preferences are , the way you want.

If it's limited to the international Mexican restaurants I have tried in Thailand, for me it was a carnitas burrito with guacamole that I had at Sunrise in Bangkok. The thing is I found that place very inconsistent, sometimes decent, sometimes rather bad. A runner up would be the carne asada enchiladas plate with rice and beans I had at Miguels in CM. I still haven't been to Tacos and Salsa and Monitas. I would like to see Mexican restaurants here offer tostadas with ceviche and real Mexican style seafood cocktails complete with avocado, special red sauce, cilantro, and the option of octopus. Looking forward to trying the chile rellenos options in Bangkok as well as the more more Mexico City style tacos I have heard about now on offer there. Also craving chicken in dark mole with chocolate sauce and really good tamales. How about Guadalajara style smothered pork tortas? Tortas Ahogadas. And no more wimpy salsas! dam_n, I am hungry now! I have been pretty much OK with current pricing in the places I have tried. I don't expect it to be as cheap as Mexico. Definitely happy to pay more for quality but not happy at all to pay more money for crapola.

Edited by Jingthing

A lot of times, I like simple dishes, like authentic tacos, tamales, cheese enchiladas and chiles rellenos. For big dinners, I like a mole' poblano, beef rancheros, or a tostada. And I have a soft spot for a good Albondigas soup. For lunch, a burrito, and for breakfast, huevos rancheros.

OK, I'll admit it. I like it all. :)

I wish there was a little more variety at the restaurants in Thailand.

Thats what we are looking at, if the right type of answers are received, a different type of Mexican Restaurant.

Hopefully with lower prices, Is within the realm of possibilities (if ) all ends meet.

Thanks for you post.

Cheers: :)

Really good homemade flour tortilla quesadillas brimming with melted cheese and birria de chivo (that's spicy GOAT!) served with three spicy Mexico City style salsas in bowls and a side of Frijoles Rancheros (ranch style soupy beans cooked with pork). OK, I know I am dreaming but that's the kind of meal you can eat and be ready to die happy.

Edited by Jingthing

In general, huachinango a la veracruzana.

At a Mexican restaurant in Thailand, tacos de alambres at Tacos & Salsa.

At home, migas.

A restaurant with all three - properly prepared of course - would be a winner in my opinion.

Don't murder tamales with beef chili or cheese :) but a Mississippi style tamal in red sauce would be great.

That's a great idea! Also, I think Thais would like that also especially when it's done crispy style.

Other ideas -- sopa de res with all the side fixings. Sopa de seite mares. Chile verde (pork) platter with rice and beans.

Edited by Jingthing

The al pastor at Tacos y Salsa. I would put these up against any I have had in San Diego or Tijuana.

The al pastor, is a good selection!

How about tamales with beef Chile and cheese?

I have never had that type of Tamale, Could you give me a little more information on it, Please.

I have had tamales de Chile con Carne, I have had Sonoran Tamales de Elote, Green chile stripes and cheese in green corm tamale Masa (Only have seen those in Sonora and Arizona) and Sweet bean tamales that, I did not care much for and a Tamale stuffed with Vegetables, did not taste bad. But I would not go out of my way for one.

If I am hearing you correctly, you are referring to a tamale with Chile con Carne de Res and cheese together.

If that is so I will make a few and try some before, I pass judgement it is an interesting combination.

Thanks for your post:

Cheers: :D

At a Mexican restaurant in Thailand, tacos de alambres at Tacos & Salsa.

At home, migas.

A restaurant with all three - properly prepared of course - would be a winner in my opinion.

Don't murder tamales with beef chili or cheese :) but a Mississippi style tamal in red sauce would be great.

I also do not know what a Mississippi Style tamal in red sauce is, could you give me some background on that, there was a thread a while back where they showed some Southern US tamal, The restaurant that they had in mind featured Tacos of all types, Burritos and Tamales.

I am interested in all type of tamales that are mentioned.

Thanks for your post:

The al pastor at Tacos y Salsa. I would put these up against any I have had in San Diego or Tijuana.

The al pastor, is a good selection!

I have never had that type of Tamale, Could you give me a little more information on it, Please.

I have had tamales de Chile con Carne, I have had Sonoran Tamales de Elote, Green chile stripes and cheese in green corm tamale Masa (Only have seen those in Sonora and Arizona) and Sweet bean tamales that, I did not care much for and a Tamale stuffed with Vegetables, did not taste bad. But I would not go out of my way for one.

If I am hearing you correctly, you are referring to a tamale with Chile con Carne de Res and cheese together.

If that is so I will make a few and try some before, I pass judgement it is an interesting combination.

Thanks for your post:

Here is a picture of the beef chile sauce.

The sauce in the picture is on top of enchiladas, but I have eaten it many times over tamales.

It reminds me of chile without beans. But it is not identical to plain chile.

My guess is that this is American style. But many people like it.

post-99053-1263722316_thumb.jpg

The sauce in the picture is on top of enchiladas, but I have eaten it many times over tamales.

OK thanks for the picture, It is the cheese sauce over tamales, thanks for informing me, I will be going back to Mexico and Tucson Az in a couple of months, and will check out the tamale and Soft Taco's there

Cheers: :) .

Here's the thread on tamales including links to lore on the Mississippi tamale. I think it's a lot more common in the US than the beef chili one, at least outside of Texas.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tamales-Find...issippi+tamales

I am sorry but if its is not made from Masa it is not a tamale to me.

I have eaten Red Chile Tamales in Mexico ,Arizona , California, Texas , New Mexico , Kansas City And Chicago that has the largest Mexican American Population in the US only 2nd to Los Angeles Ca.

I would call it a cornmeal tamale Casserole but I am asking for favorite dishes and that seems to be a favorite, to some in the Expat community.

I do not know how to make those.

There has to be corn masa in Thailand as some restaurants have menudo and posole on their menu ( made with Nixtamal), Mexico ( The maker of Maseca masa flour) has opened a tortilla plant in China and plans another one in Malaysia. There are two corn tortilla plants operating in Bangkok. One needs corn Masa to make corn tortillas.

Thanks for the thread:

OK thanks for the picture, It is the cheese sauce over tamales, thanks for informing me, I will be going back to Mexico and Tucson Az in a couple of months, and will check out the tamale and Soft Taco's there

Cheers: :) .

That cheese sauce also has beef in it. It is actually a beef sauce (similar to what we call chile) with cheddar cheese on top. It is always served hot and bubbly.

When served with tamales, it makes the tamales less dry, something many Westerners like. They may not be like Mexico, but I am just stating what many Westerners like north of the Border.

Another very simple thing Westerners like is nachos. In the USA, there are many types, but one I like is like this:

Corn chip with frijoles on top, with cheese on top of that, with a small piece of jalapeno pepper on top of that. All layered. Then it is heated up in an oven and served warm.

Most Westerners love them.

How abo

I have eaten Nachos Supreme, with beans ,chile, Guacamole , meat of your choice, every thing you could think of , in Los Lunas New Mexico, was a meal in itself, But I tell them not to put sour cream on it .

:)

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

Here is a picture of something good. But the dish is not finished. This is what it looks like before you put it in the oven to melt the cheese. Add guacamole and you have something many Westerners like, especially before the main meal.

post-99053-1263894974_thumb.jpg

I would give my left nut for a really good Chili Relleno (sp?). I just haven't found one here that floats my boat. I have gone to many places that say they just ran out of chilies. I guess it is hard to find Poblano or Anaheim chilies here.

I am a huge fan of California style Mexican food and nobody really seems to have the knack for it.

Ceviche tostadas and tacos would be a winner for me.

My biggest complaint is that all the restaurants use too much sugar in the dishes. Everything is sweet.

Edited by Kickstand

I have one more simple idea that might fit in well with the other: Chili. <br /><br />Lots of Westerners like it with crackers and cheese. And you could put it over tamales.post-99053-1264041555_thumb.jpg

Or chili over rice. I first had chili over rice in Hawaii about 25 years ago. Since that time, it has spread to LA and Vegas. Chili is a kind of stew, so chili over rice makes sense, and tastes great. Put it over rice, no beans, and the Thais might even try it.

chili-550.jpg

I have one more simple idea that might fit in well with the other: Chili. <br /><br />Lots of Westerners like it with crackers and cheese. And you could put it over tamales.post-99053-1264041555_thumb.jpg

Or chili over rice. I first had chili over rice in Hawaii about 25 years ago. Since that time, it has spread to LA and Vegas. Chili is a kind of stew, so chili over rice makes sense, and tastes great. Put it over rice, no beans, and the Thais might even try it.

chili-550.jpg

I ate Chile over rice, on the Island of Oahu back in the 50s ,When I was stationed there. I still eat it that way to this day, I also ate corned beef /onions simmered in chile sauce served over rice and Spam fried rice.

I loved Hawaii but the cost of living is so High.

Cheers:

Edited by kikoman

I would lose respect in any so called Mexican restaurant which serves American "chile" over rice or BBQ ribs.

I agree but the chile over rice thing might be something Thais will eat. And since we are in Thailand, maybe it might not be such a bad idea. There should be a few Mexican-like items Thais will eat (adjusted for Thais).

But, I think we can agree that the rest of the menu needs to be real Mexican food: tamales, enchiladas, tacos, chile relleno, frijoles, corn tortillas, salsas and hot sauces, fajitas, Mexican rice, etc.

If you open a hamburger shop, serve hamburgers.

If you open a Chinese food shop, serve Chinese food.

If you open a Smoked BBQ shop, serve smoked BBQ.

If you open a Mexican food shop, serve Mexican food.

Simple.....I think.