Practicals The 'most Effective' Teaching Method

webfact

Practicals the 'most effective' teaching method

By Thammarat Kitchalong

The Nation

Published on January 16, 2010

Outstanding teachers recognised by the Teachers Council of Thailand have recommended that teaching students through application is the most effective means of imparting knowledge.

For 2009, nine teachers from across the country were named the best educators.

Outstanding teacher Suwaree Phongtheerawan, who teaches science at the Suratpittaya School in Surat Thani province, said she did not want her students to study by rote because then they would forget everything they've learned once they passed the exams.

"So, I focus on encouraging them to enjoy studying by applying science to every day life. I take them to different sources in local communities and teach science linked with local wisdom so they can use the knowledge in real life. They also learn to appreciate the value of local wisdom and resources," Suwaree explained.

Once, when studying about bacteria, the teacher took her students on field trips to a vineyard and a factory that makes coconut jelly. This experience inspired some of the students so much that they came up with a method of producing artificial leather, which won them a Grand Award at a competition in the United States last year.

Another outstanding teacher Sompong Taruwan, who teaches computer science at the Narinukul School in Ubon Ratchathani province, said she kept her students interested by getting them to practise through modern media such as the Internet. She has been giving lessons on creating websites and writing computer programs, including the robotcontrol program that won her students many international awards.

"I also teach them about the dangers lurking in cyberspace. I show them how easy it is for people to deceive others on chat sites such as MSN. In fact, I proved to them that I could make them believe that I was a handsome man via a chat site," Sompong added.

Phornthip Nuweswongkamol, who teaches the Thai language at Ban Khao Yoi School in Phetchaburi province, was also named outstanding teacher for her innovative methods. When she discovered that her lower primary class could not read or write Thai too well, she decided to have her students practise through activities such as telling fairy tales with the use of hand puppets, writing small books as well as putting up folk performances.

"Students have fun studying the language and performing in front of an audience boosts their confidence. These activities also help us preserve Thai culture," Phornthip explained.

The three teachers urged the Education Ministry to provide training sessions for teachers in all subjects, added that they would be happy to lead the programmes.

The other outstanding teachers are Thiwa Chantranukul from the Mathayom Prachaniwet School; Phongkasien Buasuwan from Satremahaphrutaram School; Thong Viriyajaru from Anuban Nakhon Ratchasima School; Wilarp Uthairat from Benchamarachutit Pattani School; Suthep Chittayawong from Chon Buri Educational Service Area Office 1; and Apinyan Boonurai from Buri Ram Educational Service Area Office 1.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-16

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It would be so nice to have the luxury of "time" to teach students properly instead of rushing them through a text book. I only know of one Thai teacher who is happy to depart from the "curriculum" (spelling?). This is by far one of the biggest problems in Thailand's education system...the rushing through everything & also trying to teach students far too much. "Academic overload" in Thailand is very high.

I do not believe that teaching in a normal fashion (not rote learning) will preserve Thai Culture. It has the ability to totally undo many parts of Thai Culture that are no longer applicable in this day & age (hopefully).

Edited by elkangorito

The difficulty, in my experience, is that they say they want creativity, but in reality they don't. We had a teacher outside on the grounds with his students the other day going through ordinary plants and objects we see and use everyday. He was told to do it in the classroom and use flashcards!

The teacher was considered to be 'lazy'. I told the Thai Admin it's a lot harder having a whole class outside than sitting in a classroom.

Sad, really, because they learned things like, 'don't pick the flowers.' Up to then they had no idea we use 'pick' with flowers.

If they abandon rote learning it also means abandoning the system of paying total homage to those in power. It means questioning and the culture needs to be ready for that.

Spot on Credo.

Conformity is the function of education.

Over gazillions of years (hyperbole) humans evolved in villages where children learned at the knees of their parents, getting hands-on experience. Now, it's as if the powers that be want a virtual experience for the kids.

Students can learn loads of facts in school, and still be entirely uneducated.

Spot on Credo.

Conformity is the function of education.

Over gazillions of years (hyperbole) humans evolved in villages where children learned at the knees of their parents, getting hands-on experience. Now, it's as if the powers that be want a virtual experience for the kids.

Students can learn loads of facts in school, and still be entirely uneducated.

Rote learning should be a byproduct of these creative projects, especially for prathom. Kids are the most highly qualified dreamers of us all, and dreams are soon forgotten unless there is something about them worth remembering, just like kids when they grow up to be grown ups.

I think another aspect of the educational system, at least what I have seen of it, is the lack of encouragement to suceed at things you enjoy. There is an inherent critical nature. I've seen students who are so 'into' something and should be encouraged to continue to work towards excellence, be criticized instead.

The motto seems to be "better to be mediocre at everything than to excell at something".

Education is about getting someone who reads comic books, to read a book. It's about getting someone who plays computer games to learn about computers. It's about guiding students to pursue what they are good at.

The exception of course is if it will somehow benefit the school.

The exception of course is if it will somehow benefit the school.

OR the teachers.

The most important rule for teachers to learn nowdays, is that the things we learned back then when we went to school were important, but not necessarily the methods that those things were taught to us important now. The times are changing, but some things stay the same. Which is which is dependent on our best guess tomorrow, and chances are most of our guesses will prove wrong in the next decade.

There are 40 voices in the average govt high school class. Speaking and listening are skills to teach by example if you ever get lucky enough to have the opportunity. The students probably know the way they want to learn best if they get the chance.

I am referring to, and I think the article in general is referring to education in general. Not necessarily the specifics of good vs. bad teachers, but what is considered correct.

Education is about learning how to learn. It's the development and channeling of inquisitive thinking. There is plenty of drudgery in learning and plenty of unpleasant things. Teaching English, for example, can be difficult with regard to this, but a lot of students want to communicate--they want to learn about other places, where you've been, what you like to do. They want to talk about sports, the opposite sex. That can be a medium for learning, but often isn't.

We have a Thai math teacher who decided the foreign teacher was teaching wrong. He was making students do proofs. The Thai teacher decided this wasn't necessary because it's already been proven!

Or a science teacher who won't allow students to mix chemicals in chemistry (safe ones, I might add) because he can tell them what happens. He can write it on the board. Chemistry, if there is an experiment, is approached much in the same way a magic trick is.

I am referring to, and I think the article in general is referring to education in general. Not necessarily the specifics of good vs. bad teachers, but what is considered correct.

Education is about learning how to learn. It's the development and channeling of inquisitive thinking. There is plenty of drudgery in learning and plenty of unpleasant things. Teaching English, for example, can be difficult with regard to this, but a lot of students want to communicate--they want to learn about other places, where you've been, what you like to do. They want to talk about sports, the opposite sex. That can be a medium for learning, but often isn't.

We have a Thai math teacher who decided the foreign teacher was teaching wrong. He was making students do proofs. The Thai teacher decided this wasn't necessary because it's already been proven!

Or a science teacher who won't allow students to mix chemicals in chemistry (safe ones, I might add) because he can tell them what happens. He can write it on the board. Chemistry, if there is an experiment, is approached much in the same way a magic trick is.

If there comes a time when I need a surgeon to operate on my heart, I don't think I will care too much about how many books he or she read in medical school, or what his or her lecturers have tried to flay into their head before they obtained their ticket to cut/

I'd rather take comfort in the knowledge that mine was not the first live animal they ever stuck a scalpel into the thorax of, irregardless of how many times their teachers told them it's been done before.

If theoretical knowledge is all that is needed in this world, then I might as well have a jet pilot's licence from all the missions I've played out with F19 flight simulator. Gimme a job, 1-2 Go!

Theory and practice are like women and men. One is of no use without the other.

There have been some interesting contributions. Rote learning isn't all bad--it's better than no learning. In the area of medicine, I've always been impressed with the general knowledge of treatment. The problem comes in making a diagnosis and that requires the thinking. I've had friends with known conditions here and they have received excellent treatment, but I've also seen people with a set of symptoms be completely mis-diagnosed.

When it comes to the book learning and memorization and anything like that, Thailand does well.

Now they need to make the leap to creativity and ingenuity. Some have it and it needs to be cultivated by the educational system.